About Me

My photo
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
I took very early retirement from teaching in '06 and did some traveling in Europe and the UK before settling down to do some private tutoring. As a voracious reader, I have many books waiting in line for me to read. Tell me I shouldn't read something, and I will. I'm a happy, optimistic person and I love to travel and through that believe that life can be a continuous learning experience. I'm looking forward to traveling more some day. I enjoy walking, cycling, water aerobics & and sports like tennis, volleyball, and fastpitch/baseball. I'm just getting into photography as a hobby and I'm enjoying learning all the bits and bobs of my digital camera. My family is everything to me and I'm delighted to be the mother of two girls and the Gramma of a boy and a girl. I may be a Gramma, but I'm at heart just a girl who wants to have fun.

Monday, August 02, 2010

C is for completely common nouns


For this week, I thought I'd do a concise compilation of words beginning with the letter "C." Be sure to click on the pictures to see more detail. First up is my decorative bird cage. When I saw it, I fell into a complete crush of love for it. I would never put a bird in it, because that would distract from its intricate design and also make it unclean. Therefore, it covers half the top of my china cabinet and every time I walk by, I see it and continue to love it. Even though this cage is colossal, a Canada Goose would never fit inside it. So in order to admire these spectacular specimens, one must take the car and drive to the Reiffel Waterfowl Refuge.



















Next in my collection of C words is our CD collection ranging from early 60s to current, from the Beatles to Abba to Joe Cocker to Phil Collins to Eric Clapton and beyond all the way to U2.

Coming to my next picture, we have an antique clock. This clock was refurbished by Lorne's Dad many many moons ago, but the innards need to be replaced in order for it to actually chime on the hour. In the meantime, we know it keeps the correct time twice a day. Next to the clock is one of pretty much everyone's favourite carbohydrate vegetable - the lowly corn on the cob. Did you know that in the past corn was cultivated as food for pigs, and that the cobs can be made into corncob pipes or into charcoal? Hmmm, better be careful not to overcook them on the barbecue!











Finally, I wanted to show you two cushions that one of my sisters gave me (2 different Christmases). They are definitely conversation pieces and I love to kid people that the one on the left is true. And whenever I'm not in the mood for conversation, I just hold the other one up in front of my face!







Well, there you have my collection of C words for this week's ABC Wednesday. I hope you all have a cracking good week and I'll catch you all next week for the letter D.

37 comments:

Shrinky said...

Oooooooh, that birdcage is utterly gorgeous, and I agree, you could never sully it by actually housing any birds there (I mean, they'd only poop all over it)!

I laughed when I saw your cd collection, well the baskets, that is. I have the exact, same ones! Two are stuffed full of books by the window-seat in my bedroom, and two of my (cupboard-less) loos have one in each, to store ther spare loo-rolls in (grin). Thanks for making me smile!

Gigi Ann said...

What a great variety of "C" collections you had today. i got a chuckle out of your post. Fun reading it.

Carver said...

Great ideas for the letter C. I particularly love that cage, especially since nothing is in it. I like birds to be wild and un-caged.

Sylvia K said...

What a terrific collection of C words for the day and a fun post to read as well! Love the birdcage and even more because it's empty! Have a great day, Leslie!

Sylvia

mrsnesbitt said...

Yes similar CD's here Leslie!

Amy said...

Leslie, I really enjoyed this post even though Canadian Geese are not my favorite critter (ah, another "c!"). The cage and the clock are lovely and corn on the cob is on top of my carb list right now - to heck with carbs!

MaR said...

Wonderful cage, it's such a lovely ornament itself!! Beautiful choices for C!

ABC Wednesday: C

Vinay Leo R. said...

Gorgeous birdcage.. :) Even I have an extremely large collection of CDs and an appetite for Corn! :D

Good photos.. covered a lot of Cs.. :)

Rajesh said...

Wonderful choice. Beautiful collection of shots.

Reader Wil said...

Your love of the cage is very understandable. It is very beautiful.All your C words are brilliant.
Thanks for your visit and yes I am a teacher, but I am retired.

photowannabe said...

Beautiful birdcage and I adore the right-hand pillow. I think I need one of those too...yes definitely I do.

Roger Owen Green said...

unCOMMONLY interesting use of COMMON words!
ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Hildred said...

Wonderful collection - I love the birdcage, - just gorgeous. And the creative way you have stored your CD's, but most especially the pillows that your sister made for you!!!

MorningAJ said...

What a lovely collection of Cs. I love your cushions!

Annelie said...

I love the birdcage!

Annelie E, ABC Wednesday team

Beverley Baird said...

Jusat love your collection of Cs! Loved the tour through you place. The cushions are great! I can just see using the right one!
have a great week!

Linda said...

What a grand tour of "C" words made so personal by your words. The birdcage is quite special.

( I try not to think of all the carbs in corn)

Linda
ABC Wednesday Team

Julie said...

I love your two cushions, but I also admire your blog background. My life would be poorer withot a shelf of books or three.

Carol said...

Creative post for the C day. Love the birdcage....and both cushions!

Cheryl said...

Love that birdcage all to pieces. Those cushions cracked me up!

Mara said...

Corn is still mostly regarded as chicken food in the Netherlands. Unless of course it's popcorn!

Those cushions are great, especially the queen's cushion!

nancygrayce said...

Love the birdcage! I had a bird once....once was more than enough. They are messy!

I really like the pillows too. I have lots of pillows with sayings on them. My inlaws got me one once that says "The Princess Sleeps Here". So I got her one that says "It's Good to be Queen". ...They are such fun!

Wanda said...

Baskets are a great way to collect things and keep them in order!

Loved all your "C's"...... Nice Post.

VioletSky said...

That was a cracking good post.
Love the bird cage.

Tumblewords: said...

Glad you don't have birds in that gorgeous cage! A nice collection of C's for sure.

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

I think if you put a canary, it will not remain in captivity. Your cage can't capture the cute little canary.

Each time I see your name, which is the same as my DP, I try not to think of her. That's why I resisted visiting your site.

Good luck on your story writing. I dabble a bit of writing, but am finding it hard to find publishers in little New Zealand.

Verns said...

awww. i love your CD organizer, the pillow with the queen ...... is awesome.. love it...

Wendy said...

You take such gorgeous photos and are so clever with your "letters". I always enjoy them. Ty, Wendy

jabblog said...

Excellent post! I have three birdcages rather similar to yours - but I bought them as plant-pot holders to hang in our conservatory. I didn't know corncob pipes were made from corn cobs - I suppose it's obvious really ;-)

Unknown said...

What an extentive collection of C-words! My favourites are 'corn' and 'cage' You are indeed thorough!
Good work!
Best wishes,
Anna
Anna's Cats

nonizamboni said...

What a fun post! You've brought an average 'C' to life. Love the cushions and their sentiments even more.
Have a great week!

Carol said...

Wonderful Cs. I have some of those baskets too - I love them! Such classy storage.

Unknown said...

Hello again Leslie,
I wasn't sure that I read your post well enough, so I'm back today again to take another look.
Looking at you CD-collection, I have been toying with the idea of doing the children's DVD movie collection for the letter 'D', with reviews of each of these children's films that I get to see with them not just once, but scores of times!!! Some don't wear well after the tenth viewing!
But this my be too boring and I have just visited Lisa's post with among others the word 'Casern' with pics of how her 'Army Guy' lives with his buddies in Afganistan! I will not complain any more!
More hugs to you!!
Anna
Anna's C-word

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Very clever. Love the cushions!

Anonymous said...

Genial fill someone in on and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you on your information.

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

wow, amazing items on D.
I enjoy your capacity.

Anonymous said...

I would like to exchange links with your site leslieinvancan.blogspot.com
Is this possible?