About Me

My photo
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
I took very early retirement from teaching in '06 and did some traveling in Europe and the UK before settling down to do some private tutoring. As a voracious reader, I have many books waiting in line for me to read. Tell me I shouldn't read something, and I will. I'm a happy, optimistic person and I love to travel and through that believe that life can be a continuous learning experience. I'm looking forward to traveling more some day. I enjoy walking, cycling, water aerobics & and sports like tennis, volleyball, and fastpitch/baseball. I'm just getting into photography as a hobby and I'm enjoying learning all the bits and bobs of my digital camera. My family is everything to me and I'm delighted to be the mother of two girls and the Gramma of a boy and a girl. I may be a Gramma, but I'm at heart just a girl who wants to have fun.

Sunday, January 02, 2011

Sunny Start to 2011

Be sure to click on the photos to enlarge them. I'm quite proud of these ones and they do look so much better "embiggened. "












January 1, 2011, dawned sunny but with rooftops covered in frost. After warming up my innards, I headed out to my usual photographic haunts to capture the day. (Note: watch out for ABCW this week as I caught something else that made me say, Yikes!) First stop was the Deas Slough where you can launch small boats into one of the tributaries of the Fraser River. Across the water you can see ferries that are at rest while being refitted or repaired. Beyond that you can see the snow-capped Coast Mountain Range, which really stood out on this crisp sunny day. The water was so still, the reflections of trees, pilings, and ducks stood out like reverse orientation. Notice the second photo. It's just the reflection of the trees standing along the shoreline. The photo of the pair of ducks looks almost impressionistic to me because of the movement of the water as the female stirs it up with her webbed feet. I also saw several herons, one standing on a bit of ice in the water and another perched on a bare tree branch. See how close to civilization they are! Turning around away from the water but in a swampy area, stood a grove of birch trees. I could just imagine the crunchy sound First Nations people would make as they stalked an errant deer. There is also a shot of underneath the wharf, taken because of how brightly the green moss stood out in the sunshine.
































































5 comments:

Powell River Books said...

It was a beautiful day wasn't it. Happy New Year from down Bellingham way. - Margy

Beverley Baird said...

Happy New Year Leslie!
What gorgeous shots! A truly beautiful spot!

Kay L. Davies said...

It's going to be rushed, but I'm SO glad I'm coming out there soon to see my family and smell the salt sea air. Love the duck picture SO much!
-- K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

mrsnesbitt said...

We have had sunshine today - for the first time in what seems like an age! What a difference! Fantastic photos Leslie. xx

Liz Hinds said...

Beautiful atmospheric photos. Your shots of herons came off much better than mine! (Vague blur in the bushes!)