About Me

My photo
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
I took very early retirement from teaching in '06 and did some traveling in Europe and the UK before settling down to do some private tutoring. As a voracious reader, I have many books waiting in line for me to read. Tell me I shouldn't read something, and I will. I'm a happy, optimistic person and I love to travel and through that believe that life can be a continuous learning experience. I'm looking forward to traveling more some day. I enjoy walking, cycling, water aerobics & and sports like tennis, volleyball, and fastpitch/baseball. I'm just getting into photography as a hobby and I'm enjoying learning all the bits and bobs of my digital camera. My family is everything to me and I'm delighted to be the mother of two girls and the Gramma of a boy and a girl. I may be a Gramma, but I'm at heart just a girl who wants to have fun.

Sunday, August 25, 2013

G is for GARDENS, GATES, & GAZEBOS


The last few weeks have been ghastly in some ways and great in other ways! I had been gnawing not only on my fingernails, but also on my actual fingers! I was extremely anxious about Lorne having surgery to remove not only the two cancerous spots on his liver, but also 2/3 of the liver.  I'd heard it was a very painful surgery to recover from and everyone knows that men are not the best patients.  

At the same time, my younger daughter was getting married!  After being engaged for over a year, everything had been planned - the venue paid for; the dress was made, altered, paid for and hanging in one of my spare closets; the crafts were completed; the guests had all RSVPed; and I had the flowers growing in my garden!

One very grave situation and one very sentimental situation - both not boding well for calm, cool, collected me.  Hah! Tranquilizer, anyone?  One night as I was trying to get to sleep, I finally resorted to an Atavan because I couldn't decide if I should laugh or cry.  Much as I was thrilled for my daughter, I was equally worried about Lorne and disappointed that he couldn't share the big day with us all.

Anyway, thought I'd type this up early just in case any emergencies arise this coming week.  In brief, Lorne is home, but not a happy camper and daughter is in Whistler on her honeymoon.  So I'm still a bit concerned about Lorne's health and getting my car back in one piece on Friday.  I put together a slideshow showing the gazebo and gardens at Kirkland House where daughter got married and then added some more shots of various gardens, gates and gazebos I've photographed in the past.  Music is "Can You Feel the Love Tonight?" from The Lion King. Hope you enjoy it.
Click to play this Smilebox slideshow
Hopefully, I'll have some actual wedding photos to show you soon but in the meantime, we must remember to thanks the gorgeous Denise Nesbitt, the creator of ABC Wednesday, and the gallant Roger, our administrator.  Also, great thanks to the team who assist by gallivanting over to contributors' posts to give generous commentaries.

PS:  Good thing I did this last week, as there was an emergency!  Lorne ended up back in the hospital very very sick with jaundice!  He is still there today (Sunday) and waiting for an ultrasound after having had a CT scan.  Blood tests are not good so we are both waiting to find out what's going on.  Prayers gratefully accepted. 

23 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

Well, you KNOW I'm wishing you both well. And congrats to the daughter who obviously got her good looks from you!

jill said...

Stunning pictures Leslie. Thinking of you both and sending lots of love. xxxx

Reader Wil said...

I wish you a lot of strength and happiness where and when possible for the whole family.I hope that your daughter has a wonderful married life.
Have a great week, Leslie. I 'll think of you and Lorne.
Wil, ABCW Team

MERYL JAFFE, PhD - parent, psychologist, teacher, author... said...

Oh how lovely. I wish you and Lorne a continuing recovery and congratulations.

Carver said...

I hope that Lorne will be better soon and I hope your daughter has a very happy wedded life. Wonderful shots of the gardens. Looks like your beautiful daughter had a great wedding setting.

photowannabe said...

Definitely praying for your sweet Lorne and for you too.

Indrani said...

Wishing speedy recovery to Lorne! And best wishes to your daughter.

Kate said...

Your post has left me breathless; too much happening in a short space of time. Best wishes to your daughter and a very strong GREAT big wish for a complete recovery for your husband. Kate, ABC Team

Wanda said...

Those time in life that give us multiple difficulties, are so many times bring us families even closer together.
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family, and wish your daughter the best in her married life, and your son...complete and full recovery.

Love and Hugs...Wanda

Unknown said...

About your garden/gazebo presentation - you're a hopeless romantic, Leslie:):) but that is very good under the circumstances with Lorne.
Whatever he has, have faith that it can be fixed!
Looking forward to pics of your daughter's marriage.

Joy said...

A beautiful setting for a wedding. What a rough time for Lorne, I hope things improve.

Hildred said...

Beautiful video, Leslie. My thoughts and prayers are with you and Lorne.

New York Erratic said...

Sending healing, calming thoughts your way!

Jama said...

Wishing your husband, speedy recovery. Take care.

Anonymous said...

sending good vibes and prayers.

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

So much to take in at once and , lots for you to think about. So yes I can understand the "laugh" or "cry" situation.. The wedding all went to plan which was super , now all we need is Lorne back on his feet .. thinking of you both xoxo

Gattina said...

I also have a wedding on Friday ! My son finally marries after 8 years of living together and a nearly 3 year old baby !

Suzanne said...

So much for you in such a short amount of time. The video is just lovely with the music and looks like it could be a place of quiet and repose for you.

Powell River Books said...

Hoping that Lorne is on the mend. That's a tough surgery. And best wishes to your daughter at the same time. I went with garden as well for my post. I even have some beautiful marigolds in it this year. I bought the larger ones by mistake and like them a whole lot more. - Margy

Smalltown RN said...

gorgeous photos Leslie...I remember when you got your camera and how you started playing with and to see what you are doing now is amazing. Congratulations on your daughters wedding. I am so sorry to hear that Lorne is not doing well...yes you and he are in my prayers. powerful energy is being sent your way.

Beverley Baird said...

Leslie - I'm so sorry to hear about Lorne. I will add you both to my prayers. I do believe in their power.
May the doctors be skilled in restoring Lorne to full health.
Photos are gorgeous as always.
Congratulations on your daughter's marriage.

Hazel said...

May the flowers growing in the garden cheer up the husband. Best wishes to the daughter.

Hazel

Nic Sweet said...

Super photos of the gorgeous gazebo . Beautiful BEAUTIFUL garden !! I love lavender