About Me

My photo
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
I took very early retirement from teaching in '06 and did some traveling in Europe and the UK before settling down to do some private tutoring. As a voracious reader, I have many books waiting in line for me to read. Tell me I shouldn't read something, and I will. I'm a happy, optimistic person and I love to travel and through that believe that life can be a continuous learning experience. I'm looking forward to traveling more some day. I enjoy walking, cycling, water aerobics & and sports like tennis, volleyball, and fastpitch/baseball. I'm just getting into photography as a hobby and I'm enjoying learning all the bits and bobs of my digital camera. My family is everything to me and I'm delighted to be the mother of two girls and the Gramma of a boy and a girl. I may be a Gramma, but I'm at heart just a girl who wants to have fun.

Monday, November 21, 2016

T is for TENBY (Wales)

Last week I was telling you about stained glass windows in Liverpool and York, but this week we swing down towards the south west of Wales to a town called Tenby.  It's a walled seaside town in Pembrokeshire, West Wales, on the western side of Carmarthen Bay and it's known for the buildings that are painted in pastel shades.  It was a beautiful sunny day in June when I arrived with my dear friend Liz, who's from Swansea.  After finding a parking spot, we travelled by foot through the old center of town where lots of shops tried to entice the tourists inside to buy their wares. My camera was in hand and I was happily snapping away because I was transformed by the architecture, the bustle of the small crowds, and all the colour!  Oh the colour was totally amazing!

After wandering the shops in the town, we headed towards the water.  From there I could see high on the hill to my left, an entire wall of pastel coloured homes and other buildings that overlooked Carmarthen Bay. What a view they have from there.   The harbour was full of boats and it appears that almost everyone who lives there must have one! You could buy fresh fish and even fish and chips right there in the harbour.  Then we hiked up the very steep Castle Hill to see the view and the memorial statue of Prince Albert and the cannon that was used to defend this walled town of Tenby.

Other notable features of Tenby are the 2 1/2 miles of sandy beaches, the 13th century medieval stone walls, the 15th century St. Mary's Church, the Pembrokeshire Coast Path (part of Wales' only coastal National Park), and the offshore monastic Caldey Island.  I'd love to go back and travel over to this island to explore. Click on the link to see a bit of it. 

Tenby is so beautiful, I thought it best to do a slideshow for you because even though the photos would never capture it perfectly, it's better than just writing about it. I even caught some seagulls in a few of the shots. So do enjoy!  Please note that all the photos are mine except for #s 8, 10 & 21 all of which came from Mr. Google. Also, this post is dedicated to Liz, my friend who took me to Tenby for the day!
Click to play this Smilebox slideshow

13 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

Thanks for the TRAVELOGUE!

ROG, ABCW

Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

Wow! Have a blessed week my friend.

Reader Wil said...

Oh Leslie how wonderful your walk in Tenby must have been. I enjoyed watching your slide show very much!

Photo Cache said...

I love the colorful houses.

My ABC WEDNESDAY

Hildred said...

What an appealing place to live, - or to visit. Love the colours. Smilebox was great....

Rajesh said...

Beautiful place.

Amit Agarwal said...

Beautiful post, Leslie:) Lovely Tenby:)

MelodyK said...

If anything I pick up from your travellogs.... You've had great fun and lots of memories to cherish.... and that makes me happy!

Have a nice ABC-day / - Week
♫ M e l ☺ d y ♫ (abc-team)
http://melodymusic.nl/a-b-c-wednesday-19-t/

Joy said...

Your last photograph at dusk is gorgeous. Must admit the only time I happened to stop by Tenby was in winter on a rainy day years ago when everything appeared to be shut not the best first impression. Must give it another try.

carol l mckenna said...

Beautiful colors of everything in Tenby and what wonderful photography ~ thanks

Wishing you a great week ~ ^_^

photowannabe said...

Beautiful Travelogue and wonderful places to dream about.

Suzy said...

Beautiful pictures. Loved the colourful houses along the shoreline. Thanks for sharing.

jill said...

Lovely post Leslie.