About Me

My photo
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
I took very early retirement from teaching in '06 and did some traveling in Europe and the UK before settling down to do some private tutoring. As a voracious reader, I have many books waiting in line for me to read. Tell me I shouldn't read something, and I will. I'm a happy, optimistic person and I love to travel and through that believe that life can be a continuous learning experience. I'm looking forward to traveling more some day. I enjoy walking, cycling, water aerobics & and sports like tennis, volleyball, and fastpitch/baseball. I'm just getting into photography as a hobby and I'm enjoying learning all the bits and bobs of my digital camera. My family is everything to me and I'm delighted to be the mother of two girls and the Gramma of a boy and a girl. I may be a Gramma, but I'm at heart just a girl who wants to have fun.

Tuesday, July 11, 2017

A is for AIRPORT

Welcome to Round 21 of ABC Wednesday, originally created 10 years ago by Denise Nesbitt and administered by Roger and team.  This is Number 1 of the hopefully new and improved format of ABCW to be administered by Melody and her team.  We welcome all newcomers and hope you enjoy participating because you get to "meet" people from all over the world!  I've been doing ABCW for 9 out of the 10 years and have made many friends through it.

So today, I'm going to tell you about the airport where I live.  Everyone loves an airport, whether it's because you're leaving to go somewhere, whether it's because you're arriving home, or because you are greeting visitors from afar. Lots of people enjoy watching the planes take off and land, too. I will be meeting dear friends from Wales in about 3 weeks and am already so excited to see them!
The Vancouver International AIRPORT is located about 7 1/2 miles south of the city of Vancouver in Richmond (where I grew up) and has a spectacular setting in the mountains.  In 1927, Charles Lindburgh refused to include Vancouver in his North American tour because of the lack of a proper airport. Two years later, the city purchased land on Sea Island (in Richmond), which replaced the original grass airstrip at Minoru Park.  During WW2, the airport and its original terminal, now the South Terminal, were leased to the Federal government and operated by the Department of National Defence and the Department of Transport. The airport was a base for RCAF training and the crews and their families were housed in a new town site on the island, named Burkeville after Boeing president Stanley Burke.  The present main terminal was completed in 1968, and has since been expanded to include separate domestic and international terminals. A north runway was completed in 1996.  Since 2011, there has been an increase in flights between Vancouver and Asia

The airport has a uniquely British Columbian theme with artwork of Pacific Northwest Coast native art featuring blues and greens to reflect the colours of the land, sea, and sky.  There is a lot of glass, which reflects the natural light, and arriving passengers walk across a platform featuring a large waterfall.  The aboriginal art collections include totem poles, wooden sculptures, and Bill Reid's famous bronze sculpture called "The Spirit of Haida Gwaii, The Jade Canoe."  When I departed from Vancouver last year, I saw they had installed a new aquarium - full sized on a wall in the departure lounge and I could not help but take some photos of it.
This exhibit is an entire wall of a waterfall. It's amazing to see when you arrive.
Finally, for a bit of humour, enjoy this photo of the "Running Man" trying not to miss his flight.

Many thanks to the awesome Melody for taking on such an adventure as ABC Wednesday. Also, thanks to her affable team who with assist and aid her by visiting all the contributions each week.

13 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

Oh, I remember you. You used to be over at Mrs. Nesbitt's blog, right?! ;-)
Well, it's a relief not being in charge. But I'm still around.

Beverley Baird said...

These are fabulous photos of the airport. I landed there 9 years ago and was amazed at the artwork. I too lots of photos as well. Would so love to return to BC.

Hildred said...

What a long time since I've been in the Vancouver Airport, but I remember it as being a very exciting place and we were always off to exciting spots.

Anonymous said...

been to Vancouver but never the airport. gorgeous.

Deepa said...

Wow the airport pictures are so pretty. Lovely start for A

Click Here to see what Mrs. Dash Says

ABC-Wednesday said...

What a wonderful choise for A Leslie!

I've rarely been on an airport, just 4 times now (2 flights to and from) But indeed, they are always buzzing

Lovely statues!!

Thank you for your first entry in the new home of ABC!

Have a splendid and ♥-warming ABC-day / -week
Melody (team abcw)
http://melodymusic.nl/21-a/

Photo Cache said...

Wonderful A word and lovely shots.

My ABC WEDNESDAY

Betty said...

It looks so pretty with the mountains in the background. Everything is so flat here...I'm not used to mountains anymore. The guy running to catch his plane is adorable. I bet you can't help but smile when you pass him.

Liz Hinds said...

Arriving in Vancouver I remember a totem!

Play Bazaar said...

Make sure you're discreet concerning your belongings so as to reduce the likelihood of becoming a target. satta king

Play Bazaar said...

satta king Replace your doors with solid wood or metal versions.

prince said...

Ensure that you know which,or your advantages you will lose when you announce yourself bankrupt. Play bazaar

Satta King said...

Aaj mujhe apna pyar nazar aa gaya,lagta hai ki sara jahan nazar aa gaya,is qadar khushi nahi huyi thi aaj tak,na jane kaisa aaj hamara andaz hi ho gaya.neend hi nahi aa rahi yhi hame kal raat,aapki tasweer dekhi na jana kab main so gaya ,neend me bhi sata rahi thi bechaini hame,khwab aapka aaya,bechaini ka naamonishan kho gaya.yaad aapki is qada aa rahi thi,deedar aapka hua apki ankhon me kho gaya,aa bhi jaao na satap iss qadar hame ,kahin aisa na ho jab aap aao tokoi ye kahe aapse ,aapka sachcha aashiq to abhi abhi janaze pe rawana ho gaya satta king
play bazaar