About Me

My photo
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
I took very early retirement from teaching in '06 and did some traveling in Europe and the UK before settling down to do some private tutoring. As a voracious reader, I have many books waiting in line for me to read. Tell me I shouldn't read something, and I will. I'm a happy, optimistic person and I love to travel and through that believe that life can be a continuous learning experience. I'm looking forward to traveling more some day. I enjoy walking, cycling, water aerobics & and sports like tennis, volleyball, and fastpitch/baseball. I'm just getting into photography as a hobby and I'm enjoying learning all the bits and bobs of my digital camera. My family is everything to me and I'm delighted to be the mother of two girls and the Gramma of a boy and a girl. I may be a Gramma, but I'm at heart just a girl who wants to have fun.

Sunday, October 08, 2017

N is for Neighborhood

How many of you remember the TV show "Mr. Roger's Neighborhood"?  It was a staple in our house from about 1980 to about 1990 for my two daughters.  When Daddy arrived home from work about 5 pm, they would greet him with hugs and kisses and then off they'd go to watch the show while Daddy and Mommy would catch up on their days as we all waited for dinner to be ready.

Fred Rogers was born in 1928 and passed away in 2003 from stomach cancer - far too young!  He was beloved by all children because of his gentle and soft-spoken personality.  Did you know that he was a Presbyterian minister as well as being responsible for creating, hosting, and composing the theme music for this educational children's series?  I know that whenever I sat down with the girls to watch, I was mesmerized by his voice and the way he spoke to the characters as though they were real life people.

Did you know that when Fred Rogers worked for NBC in the early 1950s, he didn't like the fact that commercial television relied so heavily on advertisements and merchandising?  What did he do? He quit and went to work at a Pittsburgh public television station as a puppeteer on a children's show. Rogers began wearing his famous sneakers when he found them to be quieter than his work shoes as he moved about behind the set.
From Wikipedia, I found that Fred Rogers had a connection to Canada where it reads:
"In 1963, Rogers moved to Toronto, where he was contracted by the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) to develop his debut in front of the camera, the 15-minute children's program Misterogers,[25] which though popular with children ran for just three seasons. Many of his famous set pieces—Trolley, Eiffel Tower, the 'tree', and 'castle'—were created by CBC designers. While in Canada, Rogers brought his friend and understudy Ernie Coombs, who would go on to create Mr. Dressup, a very successful and long-running children's show in Canada, and similar in many ways to Mister Rogers' Neighborhood. Mr. Dressup also used some of the songs that would be featured on Rogers' later program. The two of them co-starred on Butternut Square on CBC TV between October 19, 1964, and February 10, 1967.

In 1966, Rogers acquired the rights to his program from the CBC and moved the show to WQED in Pittsburgh, where he had worked on The Children's Corner. He developed the new show for the Eastern Educational Network. Stations that carried the program were limited but did include educational stations in Boston, Washington, D.C., and New York City."

 Here is the famous "Neighborhood Trolley".

Click HERE to view an episode of "Mr. Roger's Neighborhood." You don't have to watch the entire thing, but be sure to listen to Fred Rogers sing the opening song about "won't you be my neighbor."

Have a wonderful week, everyone. I must say I'm so glad to have you all as my ABCW neighbours!

14 comments:

Hildred said...

Oh, I remember Mr. Rogers, - he coincided with my years of listening to children's programs with the little ones....then we went
on to others. The Friendly Giant, etc. They stick with you like musical ads you used to hear on the radio!

Photo Cache said...

I know of him, but I never got to see any of the shows.

My ABC WEDNESDAY

Roger Owen Green said...

He was a Presbyterian minister, it was noted in my church when he died.
\
ROG, ABCW

Powell River Books said...

By the time Mr. Rogers came along I was too old, but as a teacher I remember kids watching him and talking about "The Neighbourhood." Now I guess it's just "in the hood." - Margy

carol l mckenna said...

Wonderful post and photos about the the 'neighborhood' man ~ so influential with children ~ what a peaceful place he created ~ ^_^

A ShutterBug Explores ~ aka (A Creative Harbor)

Anonymous said...

I loved Mr. Roger's neighborhood - and so did my kids! Thanks for the pleasant memories:)

Anonymous said...

he sure seemed ocd

ABC-Wednesday said...

I don't know it (ofcourse) but the meaning of the word I do.. Althoug it is changing over the last years, people more and more tend to not care about their 'neighbour'...

Have a splendid, ♥-warming ABC-WEDNES-day / - week
♫ M e l ☺ d y ♫ (abc-w-team)
http://melodymusic.nl/21-n/

Unknown said...

Humse Hum Mar Jayenge,
Dil Ki Duniya Tabaah Kr Jayenge,
Pyar Kiya He Humne Koi Mazak Nahi
Dil Ki Dhadkan Tere Naam Kr Jayenge play bazaar satta king

Play Bazaar said...

satta king leave empty boxes of any high priced electronics on the curb of your house.

prince said...

satta king
play bazaar discerning light that may make ready to more brilliant days for you and your family.

prince said...

Be certain everything is obvious to you about close to home liquidation by means of taking a gander at sites regarding the matter. satta king
play bazaar

Unknown said...


When going by utilizing plane, attempt and limitation your self to a solitary 20 pound portable suitcase. Along these lines, you continually acknowledge wherein you things is. In case you're going to more than one goals in a solitary outing, there might be nothing more terrible than having your baggage pursuing you around simultaneously as you go without smooth clothing.
आप की न्यूज़

Satta King said...

satta king
play bazaar Abhi to dil main halki siKhalish mahsos hoti hayBohot mumkin hay kal is kaMohabbat naam ho jayeKhayalon main yeh koun ayaSitaroon ki chamak le karMere shanoon pe bikhere hainYeh kis ki zulf k sayeBohot mumkin hay kal is kaMohabbat naam ho jayeYeh kasi beykhudi hayDil main kaisa kaif chaya hayYeh meri jaagti aankhon mainKaise khuwaab lahrayeBohot mumkin hay kal is kaMohabbat naam ho jayeRuki hay zindagi ekMuskarate moor pe a karKaheen yeh muskarahatZindagi ka gham na ban jayeBohot mumkin hay kal is kaMohabbat naam ho jaye..