About Me

My photo
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
I took very early retirement from teaching in '06 and did some traveling in Europe and the UK before settling down to do some private tutoring. As a voracious reader, I have many books waiting in line for me to read. Tell me I shouldn't read something, and I will. I'm a happy, optimistic person and I love to travel and through that believe that life can be a continuous learning experience. I'm looking forward to traveling more some day. I enjoy walking, cycling, water aerobics & and sports like tennis, volleyball, and fastpitch/baseball. I'm just getting into photography as a hobby and I'm enjoying learning all the bits and bobs of my digital camera. My family is everything to me and I'm delighted to be the mother of two girls and the Gramma of a boy and a girl. I may be a Gramma, but I'm at heart just a girl who wants to have fun.

Sunday, January 17, 2010

WATOTO mean "Children" in Swahili

It's been a while since I've attended church, but this morning I took my daughter, grandson and granddaughter to see the Watoto African Children's Choir. To the right is a photo of one of the choirs with Canada's Prime Minister Stephen Harper. If you've never heard of them, let me tell you that theirs is quite a story. Read on from Wikipedia.
The Watoto Children's Choir is an African choir that is dedicated to improving the way of life for children in Africa. The choir is based in Kampala, Uganda, at Kampala Pentecostal Church (KPC) dubbed " Home of Watoto"composed of about twenty children, mainly from Uganda.
At any one time, there are several choirs touring all over the world ministering God's love to the nations.
Watoto means "Children" in Swahili language, and is made up of children who have lost both or one parent to the AIDS epidemic.[1] The Choir has toured Canada, the United States, Europe, Asia, New Zealand and Australia with a team of adults.
Their performances are a unique blend of native African rhythms, contemporary gospel music and ethnic dance. They have released four CDs. The ministry also comprises three villages, a primary school and a high school.
The vision behind Watoto is "Raising the next generation of Ugandan leaders."
Watoto is a response to the cry of the orphaned and vulnerable children of Africa, whose lives have been ravaged by war and disease.
Click HERE to read the Watoto Choir's Blog and to see recent photos of the choirs currently performing in Canada, the USA, Australia, New Zealand, the Isle of Wight, various places in England, and Hong Kong.
It's always a humbling experience to watch these children perform with such energy, charisma, and faith! If you've never seen these children, check your local church listings or go to www.watoto.com for more information.
Maybe some of you remember their appearance on American Idol in 2007. Here's a 2-minute video of their performance on that night.

I can just imagine Grandson and Granddaughter dancing around their house to the beat of the Watoto African Children's Choir. Even though they probably don't understand the story behind these children, I hope the choir's spirit will stay with them for a while.

3 comments:

RiverPoet said...

How cool is that? I wish they'd come sing at our church. What a blessing!

Thanks for pointing me over to your blog today, Leslie. I've been out of the blogging loop for so long I forgot how to use my Reader. I'll wrap my head around it all again very soon.

Peace - D

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

This is such a wonderful post. Nice to read about something positive. Unfortunately there has been too much sad news these last couple of weeks.

mrsnesbitt said...

I love choirs! Always make me cry! I guess I am just like my nana! lol!