About Me

My photo
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
I took very early retirement from teaching in '06 and did some traveling in Europe and the UK before settling down to do some private tutoring. As a voracious reader, I have many books waiting in line for me to read. Tell me I shouldn't read something, and I will. I'm a happy, optimistic person and I love to travel and through that believe that life can be a continuous learning experience. I'm looking forward to traveling more some day. I enjoy walking, cycling, water aerobics & and sports like tennis, volleyball, and fastpitch/baseball. I'm just getting into photography as a hobby and I'm enjoying learning all the bits and bobs of my digital camera. My family is everything to me and I'm delighted to be the mother of two girls and the Gramma of a boy and a girl. I may be a Gramma, but I'm at heart just a girl who wants to have fun.

Monday, May 16, 2011

R is for RAVELLO and ROME

I'm away this week, but decided to try and get this posted automatically...we shall see if it works! Although I'm in an "A" place, I'm going to tell you about two more places in Italy that are NOT to be passed up - Rome, of course, and the smaller, less well-known town of Ravello on the Amalfi Coast.

I landed in Rome in October, 2006, and was awed by the incongruity of ancient among the modern. Arriving at my hotel, right beside the Parthenon, I was welcomed to the incredibly modern Albergo Del Senato. The Parthenon dates back to 447 BC, yet inside my suite I slept on luxurious sheets and bathed and showered in great style! We wandered around the area, taking in the Trevi Fountain, the Spanish Steps, and the government buildings. We also spent a whole day at the Vatican, absorbing its history and incredible art. A little story about how I got the photo of Pope John Paul's crypt - we weren't allowed to stop in front of it unless you were behind ropes praying. As I walked past, I raised my camera and just snapped, hoping I'd get something, anything! Watch for it on the slide show. On our return from the Italian Riviera two weeks later, we viewed the Roman ruins and the Colosseum.

We then travelled south to Pompeii and to the Amalfi Coast, a spectacular bit of coastline. We stayed for 5 nights in Positano (see my P post) but drove around the area, visiting little towns and villages and admiring all the incredible views. We also spent a day on the island of Capri, but because the sea was quite wild that day, we were not able to get into the Blue Grotto. However, one of the prettiest places we saw was the town of Ravello where I wandered into a jewellry shop and came out several hundred euros lighter. I bought a sterling silver necklace that has a unique figure-eight design. (click photos to see larger) After checking out the church, I then wandered toward the Villa and its gardens. We were not allowed inside the villa, (there's a plaque on the side indicating that "Greta Garbo slept here") but we could spend as much time as we liked in the immense gardens that had views over the Mediterranean Sea.

So here's a little slideshow (all my photos!) I put together about my adventures in Rome and Ravello - hope you enjoy it. It starts with Ravello and then goes to Rome.




ABC Wednesday is the brainchild of Denise Nesbitt, now assisted by a team of ABCW'ers, including MOI! Join the fun by checking us out here.

4 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

It DOES work. Autopost, rah!
Another interesting narrative.

ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Liz Hinds said...

It's beautiful, leslie!

Smalltown RN said...

Wow what a post and what an adventure . I love your photos!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Yes, it works and what a great post. Love that silver necklace, btw.