Three and a half years ago and as one of my life's goals, I wrote "One thing I thought would be awfully nice would be to meet and marry a wonderful man who would give me the freedom to live as I dream..." Well, I did meet someone whom I thought was wonderful but who turned out to be someone with whom I could not live the same sort of life of which I dream. I'm a planner, and I like to think about what I want in life and then set about to make it happen. So I got to thinking about exactly what I do want in life and remembered that movie "The Bucket List" starring Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman. In the movie, these two characters realize just how short life is and decided to make a list of goals they wanted to reach before the end that would inevitably come.
I took a look at the goals I had 3 1/2 years ago, and saw that I can cross some out, revise others, continue to work on the ones I haven't yet achieved, and add new ones. Here's my new list:
*Tour the coast of Wales, visit friends who live there, and visit Llandudno where my paternal grandmother was born
* Finish the renovations in my house
* Ride in a helicopter
* Take a Mediterranean and/or Caribbean cruise
* Go back to England and meet all the wonderful ladies I've met blogging and on Facebook
* Spend a week in Paris absorbing the culture
* Take a photography course in Tuscany
* Go on an African safari
* Get a dog, preferably a boxer
Now how on earth am I going to be able to do all that? There are two problems: money and health. First, since I'm gaining a good reputation as a private tutor, I'll keep on with that until my brain no longer works. Second, I'll try to keep mobile as long as my back holds out and if I end up in a wheelchair, I'll get to go to the front of all the lines at the airports, train stations, and cruise ships. Hah! So there!
Things NOT on my bucket list because I have no ability, desire, or guts for:
* get a tattoo
* go sky diving
* go scuba diving
* run a marathon
* learn to pole dance
* take cooking classes
* go camping ever again
I noticed that one person put on their bucket list that they wanted to be in two places at one time! Now how could you do that? Well, I've done it! When I went up the Pyrenees from the French side, I had one foot in France and one foot in Spain! And I have the photograph to prove it.
I love to dream, yet I understand that some prefer to fly by the seat of their pants. However, I think the dreaming and the planning is like preparing for Christmas! I've decided that I deserve to be happy and to enjoy my life to its fullest and if anyone wants to join me (on their own dime, naturally) I'd love to share the moments.
What dreams/goals do you have? Or are you the spontaneous type?
- Delta, British Columbia, Canada
- I took very early retirement from teaching in '06 and did some traveling in Europe and the UK before settling down to do some private tutoring. As a voracious reader, I have many books waiting in line for me to read. Tell me I shouldn't read something, and I will. I'm a happy, optimistic person and I love to travel and through that believe that life can be a continuous learning experience. I'm looking forward to traveling more some day. I enjoy walking, cycling, water aerobics & and sports like tennis, volleyball, and fastpitch/baseball. I'm just getting into photography as a hobby and I'm enjoying learning all the bits and bobs of my digital camera. My family is everything to me and I'm delighted to be the mother of two girls and the Gramma of a boy and a girl. I may be a Gramma, but I'm at heart just a girl who wants to have fun.