About Me

My photo
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
I took very early retirement from teaching in '06 and did some traveling in Europe and the UK before settling down to do some private tutoring. As a voracious reader, I have many books waiting in line for me to read. Tell me I shouldn't read something, and I will. I'm a happy, optimistic person and I love to travel and through that believe that life can be a continuous learning experience. I'm looking forward to traveling more some day. I enjoy walking, cycling, water aerobics & and sports like tennis, volleyball, and fastpitch/baseball. I'm just getting into photography as a hobby and I'm enjoying learning all the bits and bobs of my digital camera. My family is everything to me and I'm delighted to be the mother of two girls and the Gramma of a boy and a girl. I may be a Gramma, but I'm at heart just a girl who wants to have fun.

Monday, August 01, 2011

C is for COURAGE

Continuing with my theme for this round, I wrote a poem using similes and metaphors on the subject of COURAGE. I'm dedicating it to all those who have shown courage in life - to soldiers on the battlefield, to individuals fighting a life-threatening disease, to those dealing with mental or physical disabilities, to those who step in harm's way for another human being, and to those who struggle to survive as a result of poverty or abuse. I like what John Wayne once said, "Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway."


COURAGE


Courage is slate grey.
It looks like a murderous day.
It sounds like a screaming NO!
It smells like facing a filthy foe.
It tastes like tears after the shockwave.
It feels like a granite grave.
Courage is, after all, simply being brave.

Thanks to Denise Nesbitt and her courageous group of capable assistants who care enough to continue this congregation of friends from all over the world to share their concepts for the letter of the week. Consider joining in by clicking here to see what we do.

31 comments:

nancygrayce said...

Love it! We all need courage!

Powell River Books said...

Thoughtful. I like the braided message as well. - Margy

Carver said...

I liked you poem so much and the lettering where you weaved the words is very creative.

mrsnesbitt said...

Fantastic Leslie xxx as ever.
Dxx

Penelope Notes said...

This is such a well-written poem that also expresses that there is unexpected and untrained bravery that takes place everyday … often quietly and unnoticed by most.

photowannabe said...

This is a powerful gut-wrenching poem.
I sincerely hope you make a book of these posts.
They are fabulous.

Lisa said...

Absolutely wonderful post and I love your theme idea. You did a great job.

EG CameraGirl said...

I sense that you feel deeply about the word courage, Leslie!

Sylvia K said...

A wonderful post for the C Day, Leslie, and marvelous words! Courage is truly important to us all -- or should be! Powerful words!

Sylvia

Meryl said...

Ditto on the accolades and acknowledgement of hard work and dedication... and may we all find the courage to conquer and complete the course of our lives.

Kim, USA said...

Yes we all need courage! Love this poem. ^_^

ABC Wed

Jose said...

Oh yes, and sometimes it's not readily available.

Roger Owen Green said...

i thought YOU showed real courage some time ago when you chose a different relational path.
ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Gigi Ann said...

It seems that from time to time we all need the courage to face problems be they illness, money woes, etc. Nice poem for C day.

Paula Scott Molokai Girl Studio said...

It takes courage to have courage too! That poem is perfect for today.

ChrisJ said...

Courage-- a much needed quality in our world today. So many people displaying it in so many different ways.

Chubskulit Rose said...

Very enlightening poem Leslie. Sometime I don't have that courage hehehe..

Reader Wil said...

A terrific word for C. I believe showing courage is doing the things you fear most.Thank you Leslie! We need courage in life.

Joy said...

A poem that says it all in so few lines. I love the entwined verse.

Barbara Rosenzweig said...

Quite a powerful poem! I appreciate your sharing it!

Hope that you visit my Calm & Peaceful post.
Barb

nonizamboni said...

A tall order--being brave. . .but your poem is so insightful. Very nicely done and unique for today.
Happy Wednesday, Leslie!

Cheryl said...

I love your poem and your intertwined words.

My favorite quote for courage is from Mark Twain.

Courage is not the absence of fear. It is acting in spite of it.

Wanda said...

Oh my, I love this, and immediately thought of the Lion in The Wizzard of Odds.

We all need courage..... Great poem.

jabblog said...

Courage never brags - it simply does.

Barbara Rosenzweig said...

Thanks for visiting!

I'm your new follower and I hope that you will follow me back.

Enjoy the day!
Barb

Francisca said...

Well done, Leslie! Courage is a complex subject.

Jane and Chris said...

Courage, being afraid but doing it anyway.
Jane x

Smalltown RN said...

Great poem Leslie...very well said..It takes courage to be willing to post a poem you wrote...good for you!

Anonymous said...

You got great points there, that's why I always visit your blog, it looks like you are an expert in this field. keep up the good work, My friend recommends your blog.

My blog:
cout rachat credit www.rachatdecredit.net

gsb3 said...

I never thought of courage as such a dark thing. I always thought of it as a glorious thing, a rush of adrenaline in an emergency, a life saving moment. But your poem has brought to mind those instances where courage is not so glorious. Courage in suffering is a very dark thing, but inside there is a light, no matter how dim. Thanks.

Chris said...

We do indeed need courage and I don't care what others may say, I always think that when the chips are down, women show the most courage!
Yes I am indeed very Welsh Leslie, born in a South Wales seaside town within sight and sound of the sea!Lived there till I was married at 21 and then lived in Cardiff for 2 years!! Then moved back to my home town, before we moved to England in 1968. I still have a bit of a welsh accent.
Don't forget we must meet up when you come to UK
Hugs Chris x