About Me

My photo
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
I took very early retirement from teaching in '06 and did some traveling in Europe and the UK before settling down to do some private tutoring. As a voracious reader, I have many books waiting in line for me to read. Tell me I shouldn't read something, and I will. I'm a happy, optimistic person and I love to travel and through that believe that life can be a continuous learning experience. I'm looking forward to traveling more some day. I enjoy walking, cycling, water aerobics & and sports like tennis, volleyball, and fastpitch/baseball. I'm just getting into photography as a hobby and I'm enjoying learning all the bits and bobs of my digital camera. My family is everything to me and I'm delighted to be the mother of two girls and the Gramma of a boy and a girl. I may be a Gramma, but I'm at heart just a girl who wants to have fun.

Sunday, August 28, 2011

G is for Gratitude

"Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, confusion to clarity. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend. Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today, and creates a vision for tomorrow. " Melody Beattie

"At times, our own light goes out and is rekindled by the spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with great gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us." Albert Schweitzer

"As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them." John F. Kennedy

I think of the word "gratitude" because I have to work hard every day to realize that no matter that my life has been a soap opera, I do have things for which I am thankful. I have survived an abusive childhood, losing a child, marriage to a man who tried to hide his mental illness until he finally killed himself leaving me with two children to raise on my own, several chronic and painful diseases and surgeries with excruciating rehabilitation, loneliness, and financial difficulties.

However, that said, I remain hard-wired as an eternal optimist, a romantic who never stops dreaming of being loved by someone special, and a lover of travel, continuing to dream of my next adventure with all the photographic opportunities to be gained. I'm grateful that God gifted me with faith, mercy, and the gift of exhortation. I'm grateful for the strength He's given me to endure all things and for the gift of my daughters and grandchildren. I'm also grateful that He gave me enough brains and common sense to be able to overcome the difficulties I've had to face. Most of all, I'm grateful for the gift of a sense of humour and a love of being a bit crazy and goofy. My poem today is about gratitude and I took the photo on Saturday night.

Gratitude

Gratitude is gracious green.
It looks like roses in a summer scene.
It sounds like laughter doubled by wonder.
It smells like rain after the thunder.
It tastes like the turkey for which I thank.
It feels like a powerful piggy bank.
Gratitude is showing heartfelt thanks.

Special thanks to Denise Nesbitt for continuing with ABC Wednesday and to all of her Genial Gang of Groovy Gallants who Give support by sharing the task of the weekly introduction and by visiting the rest of us.

31 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

I have gratitude that you are so honest with your adoring public!

ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

Beautiful poetry .. and a wonderful post . xx

Liz Hinds said...

You are coming up with some wonderful poetry and descriptions here, leslie. I'm glad you have your sense of humour and faith.

Cuby said...

Gratitude so important to show it where appropriate. Gorgeous flowers today and a very heartfelt post.Poem delightful.

Meryl said...

I couldn't have thought of a better "G" word! Thank you!

Carver said...

Gracious and heart felt post. Gratitude is so important. Beautiful poem and flowers.

Gigi Ann said...

Wonderful post today, so sorry you had so many problems throughout your life. However, your poem is lovely, and the roses are beautiful, one of my favorite flowers.

Kay L. Davies said...

You're so right about gratitude.
I've found it's difficult, perhaps impossible, to be grateful and resentful at the same time.
— K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

Rajesh said...

Love this post on gratitude.

photowannabe said...

After reading your post Leslie, I just have to sit,take a deep breath and thank the Lord for giving me the life I have.
Thank you for your honest, intimate posts and "being hardwired as an eternal optimist".
I love the quote by Melody which says that Gratitude turns what we have into enough.
That's profound.

Wanda said...

You are so authentic, and so real it reminds me of the Skin Horse in the Veleteen Rabbit....A lot of wisdom comes from heartache and pain.

Knowing your Spiritual gift, and using it is such a blessing to the Lord and us. Thanks you, dear...you are a blessing.

Hildred said...

Beautiful quotes for a most desired quality, Leslie. A really touching post.

Chubskulit Rose said...

Very well said Leslie! Mine has something to do with it too.

God's Marvelous Gift. Have a great day!

Reader Wil said...

Gratitude is abeautiful, wonderful word! It let us live and laugh and deal with difficult problems.Thanks for sharing your life.

Francisca said...

Gratitude is like a smile... it can come with no ill feelings. Another moving post and poem, Leslie, with a lovely shot of a rose.

MaR said...

What a beautiful take on the theme and gorgeous pink flowers!!
G is for...

EG CameraGirl said...

It's wonderful that through it all you remain an optimist. Gratitude is a Great G-word.

Jane and Chris said...

What a gracious lady you are.
Jane x

Anna said...

A most moving post Leslie xxx

ChrisJ said...

A great word for 'G'. The world can be a tough place but gratitude makes it all seem worth it. I chose 'gift' and then missed the opportunity to post the Greatest Gift from God. Shame on me!

Shooting Parrots said...

And I am grateful for your wise words.

Kim, USA said...

You are blessed Leslie!


Kim,USA

ABC Wed

jabblog said...

We could all practise being grateful every day for what we have. Beautiful roses!

Tumblewords: said...

A wonderful post! Perfect for this day and others, as well...

Paula Scott Molokai Girl Studio said...

Perfect! Gratitude is something that needs to be held tightly and often it slips away. Gratitude keeps me going!

Gattina said...

Life was not very friendly to you ! very nice post !

Beverley Baird said...

What a beautiful, heartfelt post Leslie! A perfect choice for G. We all need that attitude of gratitued.
Love your poem and gorgeous photo! have a great weekend!

Mildred said...

A great post for G day! Wonderful poem and photo!
Thanks for sharing:o)

¤ Happy day ¤

Shrinky said...

Dearest Leslie, you have not walked an easy path, perhaps that's why you have so much compassion, empathy and an appreceiation for all that is good in life. I think you are absolutely amazing, and I am so happy we are friends (x).

Dias Spot said...

gratitude indeed!

Dhemz said...

this is a good one leslie!....perfect choice!