About Me

My photo
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
I took very early retirement from teaching in '06 and did some traveling in Europe and the UK before settling down to do some private tutoring. As a voracious reader, I have many books waiting in line for me to read. Tell me I shouldn't read something, and I will. I'm a happy, optimistic person and I love to travel and through that believe that life can be a continuous learning experience. I'm looking forward to traveling more some day. I enjoy walking, cycling, water aerobics & and sports like tennis, volleyball, and fastpitch/baseball. I'm just getting into photography as a hobby and I'm enjoying learning all the bits and bobs of my digital camera. My family is everything to me and I'm delighted to be the mother of two girls and the Gramma of a boy and a girl. I may be a Gramma, but I'm at heart just a girl who wants to have fun.

Sunday, December 04, 2011

U is for UNITY

UNITY

Unity is a milky, pearly white.
It looks like starlight on a clear, bright night.
It sounds like a cob calling to his pen.
It smells like popcorn shared in the den.
It tastes like sweat as we share one life.
It feels like serenity throughout the strife.
Unity is two, a husband and wife.


ABC Wednesday is the brainchild of Denise Nesbitt, the mainstay in our group of bloggers. Thanks to her and her unified union of utterly committed and useful assistants! Click here to participate or to just check in and see what we all do.

20 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

That is an ideal, not always manifest in humans or many creatures.

ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Leslie: said...

I agree, Roger, but so are a lot of other things like honesty and trust. However, If a man's reach does not exceed his grasp, then what's a heaven for??

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

I agree with both of you.

nancygrayce said...

It can be had in a marriage.....just not perfectly...you're right Leslie, that will only happen in heaven. But in this imperfect life, I have found lots of unity with my dear husband! And when it's not to be found, well we have more than one room in the house and each has a tv. :)

jane said...

I love that poem - unity is certainly very special - great shots of the cob and pen - have a good week - Jane

MaR said...

Beautiful poem and picture!

U is for...

Meryl said...

Unity - serenity throughout the strife. Beautiful words. Thank you.

Gigi Ann said...

Love that photo. I love the line, 'It looks like starlight on a clear, bright night.' What beauty a starlight clear bright night is.

Hildred said...

Lovely words, Leslie, - and something to strive for.

photowannabe said...

Unity is definitely something to strive for.
In a perfect world its attainable.
Your word pictures are terrific and I look forward to them every week.

jill said...

Lovely poem and picture,I love swans they are so graceful.Love Jill xx

Tumblewords: said...

Very nice poetry and stunning photo!

Paula Scott Molokai Girl Studio said...

I think it is a basic need for us human beings. Another great piece of prose!

Gattina said...

Nice poeme !
Gattina
ABC Team

Carver said...

I absolutely love the photograph of the swans. Unity is a great word to feature.

Berowne said...

Calm, peaceful -- and beautiful...

Lisa said...

What an adorable shot. I love the little babies! I also love the poem you accompanied with it. Lovely thoughts.

Shrinky said...

I so admire your turn of thought, this is beautiful Leslie, and when it comes to ideal, yes, I believe our reach should always exceed our grasp.

banjack said...

I am going to visit ladner in Jan with my son.
Any advice to enjoy for my holiday?

Reader Wil said...

It's very good that you used a photo of swans for this post. The unity of a swan family is well known and the unity of a swan couple will last until death takes one of them away.