About Me

My photo
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
I took very early retirement from teaching in '06 and did some traveling in Europe and the UK before settling down to do some private tutoring. As a voracious reader, I have many books waiting in line for me to read. Tell me I shouldn't read something, and I will. I'm a happy, optimistic person and I love to travel and through that believe that life can be a continuous learning experience. I'm looking forward to traveling more some day. I enjoy walking, cycling, water aerobics & and sports like tennis, volleyball, and fastpitch/baseball. I'm just getting into photography as a hobby and I'm enjoying learning all the bits and bobs of my digital camera. My family is everything to me and I'm delighted to be the mother of two girls and the Gramma of a boy and a girl. I may be a Gramma, but I'm at heart just a girl who wants to have fun.

Saturday, December 22, 2012

X is for XMAS


We who post at ABC Wednesday are lovers of the alphabet, and we are sometimes fascinated by the flexibility of the letter X.  It can be used to represent the sacred, the profane (X-rated), and the unknown (X-ray).

How many of you have ever wondered why "XMAS" is used as a short form for the word ''CHRISTMAS"?  How many of you really know the reason.  Have you ever heard the saying "Jesus is the reason for the season"?

The history of the word "Xmas" is actually quite respectable and predates by centuries its use in gaudy advertisements.   X is the Greek letter "chi", the first letter in the word Χριστός.  And here's the kicker - Χριστός means "Christ."  Using the letter X to represent Christ, known as a "christogram," has been an accepted representation of Christ for hundreds of years. 

Therefore, in order to fulfill my promise of a short post this week, may I wish you all MERRY XMAS

26 comments:

magiceye said...

Thank you and heres Wishing you and yours a Merry Xmas too!!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Merry Xmas, Leslie. xx woof!

Roger Owen Green said...

yes, merry Xmas!

Meryl said...

Have a joyous, meaningful holiday!

photowannabe said...

Wishing you a very Merry Christmas too.

Rinkly Rimes said...

I'm pleased to know that my slovenly shorthand has such a respectable history!

magiceye said...

That was interesting!
Thank you and wish you and yours a Merry Xmas too!!

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

Merry Christmas and did u get lots of snow?

MaR said...

Merry Xmas!

~ X is for...

Joy said...

Merry Xmas to you too.

Paula Scott Molokai Girl Studio said...

'cristogram'-now that 's a new word for me and I must say, I rather like it!
Hope you had a very Merry Christmas!

carol l mckenna said...

And hope you had a wonderful holiday ~ very creative post for X ^_^

Happy Holidays ^_^

(A Creative Harbor aka artmusedog and Carol ^_^)

Nonnie said...

when I taught 1st grade, my students and I made ABC Books of Christmas. 'X' would read "X" is for Christ. So I have known that fact for quite a while. However,I thank you for sharing this. Many think it's unChristian to write it that way.

Carver said...

Great post for X. I hope you and your family had a great Christmas and a happy New Year ahead. Cheers, Carver

Pride In Photos Beauty said...

I hope your Xmas was a wonderful one for you! Visiting from ABC...a little late this week.
Laurie

Chubskulit Rose said...

Hope you had a good Xmas!

eXpedition

Happy Holidays!
Rose, ABC Wednesday Team

betty-NZ said...

I love your card! I hope Christmas was wonderful for you and I hope the new year brings lots of bright things!

photowannabe said...

Hi Leslie,
I do know it's okay to write XMAS.
Some things from my youth are hard to change.
My folks never allowed it and believe it or not I still can feel guilty doing it after all these years.
It's a great explanation but it's just my quirk.

Oakland Daily Photo said...

Wonderful lesson on the X.

Dave said...

Thanks Leslie. I didn't know that, and always thought that it was wrong to use 'Xmas' instead of 'Christmas' I have called here after reading your comment on Sue's blog. Hi to you! - Dave

Gerald (SK14) said...

an eXcellent eXplanation of the origin of Xmas

Gattina said...

This year the letter X really came on purpose for X-mas, lol !

Powell River Books said...

A belated Merry Christmas and an early Happy New Year. Hope all your wishes for 2013 come true. - Margy

ChrisJ said...

Great explanation. Like photowannabe I had my struggle with Xmas, but words are constantly changing.

Hazel said...

Hope you had a wonderful Christmas week!

Ellee Seymour said...

I hope you had a wonderful Xmas Leslie, and I wish you every happiness for the New Year. x