About Me

My photo
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
I took very early retirement from teaching in '06 and did some traveling in Europe and the UK before settling down to do some private tutoring. As a voracious reader, I have many books waiting in line for me to read. Tell me I shouldn't read something, and I will. I'm a happy, optimistic person and I love to travel and through that believe that life can be a continuous learning experience. I'm looking forward to traveling more some day. I enjoy walking, cycling, water aerobics & and sports like tennis, volleyball, and fastpitch/baseball. I'm just getting into photography as a hobby and I'm enjoying learning all the bits and bobs of my digital camera. My family is everything to me and I'm delighted to be the mother of two girls and the Gramma of a boy and a girl. I may be a Gramma, but I'm at heart just a girl who wants to have fun.

Saturday, December 29, 2012

Y is for YORKSHIRE

Okay, I promised my posts to the end would be short, but I just did up a slideshow for you all about one of the most beautiful places in the world - YORKSHIRE - where our friend Denise Nesbitt lives, and I'm sorry that it's long, but it's worth it. You will not regret watching it as it just might spur you to consider visiting some day.  I know that I for one WILL be back!

Our visit began with Jill (see her blog here) meeting us at the Grosmont (silent s) train station.  We trudged up the hill with our cases, turned into "Institute Row" and arrived at our cottage.  It was amazing inside - fully fitted kitchen, laundry room, lovely sitting/dining room with TV and fireplace and upstairs the huge bathroom and two bedrooms with queen-sized beds in each!  Denise turned up with fresh eggs, which we cooked up for dinner...yummy!

The next day was cloudy and threatened rain, although it was warm.  We had been pleasantly surprised by the village with all it had to offer people, so we decided to poke around.  We passed the old schoolhouse that had recently been renovated as a cafe, the village church, the tunnel through which the steam trains chugged past a gorgeous garden, and ended up at the train museum.  Coming back, we stopped at the schoolhouse for lunch and then poked our heads inside many of the intriguing shops down the road.

The following morning, Jill phoned and offered to take us for a drive so we accepted.  What a wonderful and gracious hostess she was!  She took us all over the moors and to several neighbouring villages to show us the views, where her grandchildren go to school and church, and the famous village of Goathland where the British TV show "Heartbeat" was filmed.  That was especially exciting for me as I'm a fan of the show.  After that, we went to the North Yorkshire Visitors' Center and had lunch in the "Wooly Sheep Cafe."

We went out to visit Denise one day, too, and had a wonderful visit.  We strolled along the lanes near her home and saw lots of horses, geese and other water fowl, her church and had cuddles with Frieda, one of her German Shepherds and watched her chickens scarf down spaghetti noodles.  She served us tea and scones in her lovely and cosy kitchen and we got to see up close her new Aga!

I could tell you so much more, but I'll just let you watch the slideshow (and turn up the sound) to see for yourself that Yorkshire is a beautiful area of the world!  I'll leave you with one more thing:

!HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow


24 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

Nice trip. I'm glad, despite the downside, went well.

Liz Hinds said...

I have been so remiss visiting blogs lately but have given myself a holiday so am using the time wisely!

Hope your Christmas was wonderful. I wish you and Lorne - and new puppy! - an exciting 2013 full of love and life in all its fullness. xx

Powell River Books said...

Happy New Years to you too. - Maryg

chris said...

Yes its a beautiful place but can rain there like buckets!
Happy New Year Leslie, a year in which I hope all your dreams come true
Chris xx

Carver said...

I'm glad you had such a good trip. Happy New Year.

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

Such a great trip you and Cathy had Leslie -) meeting everyone and seeing the UK .. I have never been to Yorkshire .. I don't go many place in the UK , Do I??

I spoke to Di in Liverpool on the phone last night, She really enjoyed seeing you too x

jill said...

Oh some lovely pics Leslie,we sure did pick a beautiful day to go out didnt we? I cannot wait until your next visit.Take care love Jill xx

Meryl said...

Sounds wonderful. I hope 2013 brings you love, joy, good health, awesome trips, and only the very best!

photowannabe said...

What a delightful trip and beautiful slide show.
I can see why you want to go back. the place is magical.

Gerald (SK14) said...

Marvellous slide show - best without the sound methinks - I remember Goathland before it became Adensfield - see my 1963 photo at http://www.geraldengland.co.uk/old/oldy007.htm Happy new year

Wanda said...

You are the best tour guide....thanks for all the trips this year.

teri said...

Wow- you made Y a lot of fun! Some great shots of Yorkshire- I hope to get back to England someday. Thanks for your visit to my blog. xo teri

carol l mckenna said...

Wonderful tour with fantastic photos ~ Wow ~ Great to see 'Yorkshire' where my little Yorkie's breed orginated from ~ Wonderful, wonderful post ~ can't beat it ^_^

(A Creative Harbor aka ArtMuseDog and Carol ^_^)

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

Did you have Yorkshire pudding?

Paula Scott Molokai Girl Studio said...

Made me think of Yorkshire pudding too which I was already thinking about earlier in the day...that and pop-overs!
HNY!

magiceye said...

That was lovely!!

Wish you and yours a delightful 2013!

Joy said...

Enjoyed the slide show, I'm quite fond of Yorkshire too and have had some great holidays there. If like your vist it has been wet on occasion. Been on the steam train but having never watched Heartbeat the fact that Goathland was so busy when we got off the train there was bit of a surprise to us.
A Happy New Year to you.

Deb said...

Great slideshow with some very familiar sights in there. Glad You saw the Heather in flower and enjoyed a warm Yorkshire vwelcome:)

Chubskulit Rose said...

Thank you once again for sharing your beautiful trip.

Y is for...
Happy New Year!
Rose, ABC Wednesday Team

Hazel said...

I miss Yorkshire. Mrs. Nesbitt's hen is pretty. I think I'll be back too; (just let me finish this PHD thing) kept hoping for one more photo to come up. It was great viewing your slideshow.

Happy new year!

Reader Wil said...

I love Yorkshire! Thanks for your comment. Happy New Year together with your loved ones! I am now waiting for my flight to Amsterdam at Singapore Airport. So still in the tropics.

Black Jack's Carol said...

Well, Leslie, this was a wonderful visit to Yorkshire. The English countryside was just as I pictured it from childhood stories, I smiled when I saw you smiling with your Dunce Cap, I loved the horses (so beautifully groomed), and it was wonderful to see Denise with Ernest. Just a terrific tour! Happy 2013!

ChrisJ said...

Very familiar views. Sometimes I wonder why I left. Well it could have been the weather -- but it wasn't. The heather on the moors was gorgeous. I'd like to go back one more time at least, but the traveling to get there is more than I want to do nowadays.

Unknown said...

Sounds great. I hope the year of 2013 bring you love, happiness, health, great trip, only the best!
Cheap Nike NFL Jerseys