About Me

My photo
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
I took very early retirement from teaching in '06 and did some traveling in Europe and the UK before settling down to do some private tutoring. As a voracious reader, I have many books waiting in line for me to read. Tell me I shouldn't read something, and I will. I'm a happy, optimistic person and I love to travel and through that believe that life can be a continuous learning experience. I'm looking forward to traveling more some day. I enjoy walking, cycling, water aerobics & and sports like tennis, volleyball, and fastpitch/baseball. I'm just getting into photography as a hobby and I'm enjoying learning all the bits and bobs of my digital camera. My family is everything to me and I'm delighted to be the mother of two girls and the Gramma of a boy and a girl. I may be a Gramma, but I'm at heart just a girl who wants to have fun.

Monday, July 15, 2013

A is for ALLITERATION

Welcome to Round 13 of ABC Wednesday!  I'd like to give accolades to Denise Nesbitt, the creator of ABCW, to Roger Green, our Administrator, and to the entire team of ABCW members who regularly visit contributers to give comments and kudos.  Please encourage friends to give us a try and remind them that they don't have to start at the letter A or even post every week.  I especially applaud those of you have been with us for years; it's great to feel as though you "know" people and look forward each week to seeing what they share with the group.

This week, I am giving you A is for Alliteration.  This is a literary device when a series of words in a row (or close to a row) have the same first consonant sound. For example, “She sells sea-shells by the sea-shore” or “Peter Piper Picked a Peck of Pickled Peppers” are both alliterative phrases. In the former, all the words start with the “s” sound, while in the later, the letter “p” takes precedence. Aside from tongue twisters, alliteration is also used in poems, song lyrics, and even store or brand names.

Two weeks ago, I attended the village's first market of the season and as I wandered around, I noted that many signs used alliteration for the name of their business.  As a writing teacher and as an afficionada of grammar, these signs almost attacked me with their originality!  So, I give you Round 13, Post #1 for A.
Click to play this Smilebox slideshow

33 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

I must say I am AWFULLY glad you're still with us for ABCW!

anthonynorth said...

And it's good to be here for another round.

Carver said...

Great post for A. I usually use alliteration accidentally and don't realize I've done it until someone says good alliteration.

Reader Wil said...

I like alliterations. We had to find them at school both in Dutch and in English.
Thanks for your post and video. Have a great week.
Wil, ABCW Team

photowannabe said...

I'll bet you are the only person to use the word Alliteration for ABC Wednesday.
I always like seeing what you will post on the SmileBox.

Nanka said...

Tongue twisters are not very kind to me but I am okay with alliterations!! Your smilebox is always a great watch and this time yummilicious too!! Couldn't get away from there, so waited a few mins longer!! ;)

MERYL JAFFE, PhD - parent, psychologist, teacher, author... said...

I love writing and reading alliteration. Great word choice and video! Happy 13th round.

Hildred said...

A great video, - farmers' markets are such fun, and down there in Ladner I can see they are right into Alliteration. Wonderful choice....

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Round 13!! Nice post.

Wanda said...

I have to agree with Sue (Photowantabe)..Your smile box slide show is always to fun.

You and Roger have already given me a headache with these words. (Just kidding) learning something every time I visit.

Beverley Baird said...

What a great video - so many places to visit and so much alliteration! Well done Leslie!

Indrani said...

Very well crafted with words! :)

Redlane Geraine said...

Interesting. I think my next week's post would contain an alliteration, thanks for the idea. I can't view the video, I'm missing a plugin but I'll be back for that. thanks for visiting us at maithankfulheart.

ChrisJ said...

Alliteration is probably the first literary device that students learn -- and it's easy to teach as well as understand. Thanks for your kind words on my blog.

Hazel said...

Alliteration is fun! It's like being in English class again.

Hazel said...

Salad Sisters, Bean Boy, Kallie Kandy, Pocket Pie, Mr Mom's

was trying to remember as many as I could :)

Reader Wil said...

Thanks for your kind words! It would be nice if we could meet, but for now we'll meet on the blog.

Leovi said...

Enchanting the sense that you've given your A!

Chris said...

Hi Lesley,
Lovely to read how you are and what you're doing. I would have loved that fudge stall, fudge made with cream, sounds like heaven to me! We are well and enjoying our amazing summer weather, our garden is blooming because of it. How is Lorne, hope all is well with him too.
Love Chris xx

MaR said...

I love alliterations :)

Ann said...

I don't know if I would have noticed all these alliterations but now I will!! Very catchy for sure.
Ann

Unknown said...

Among my friends are several teachers - I love them because they can solve my grammar problems:):)

About your comment: was so happy we stayed in a hotel in Lucca instead of Florence, because it still has that old small town feeling ... and place to park one's car:)

Unknown said...

Now I'm hungry! Maybe some greek food followed by some of the fudge!

New York Erratic said...

Very cute slideshow of alliteration! I never aware there were so many alliterations in ads.

Joy said...

I do love a market, never know what will be found. Looks like you found the perfect hunting ground for alliteration, very creative.

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

I didn't study alliteration, until I had to teach it. A lovely Leslie likes lollipop.

Bedaanga Sarma said...

Nice read..

Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

You have a keen eye. I love alliteration and have my students play with it sometimes to get their creative juices flowing. I may have them go on a scavengers hunt around town to find examples of it. Blessings!

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

Hi Leslie ,, I came over to read this post , just to see what the word meant , I knew you would tell us , being a teacher :-) so I have learnt something ,, hope you are well , take care :-) xoxo

Anupama K. Mazumder said...

Requires a keen observation power! Wow!

www.volatilespirits.com

Suzy said...

Enjoyed the video. An amazing alliterative article.
Dropping by from the ABC Wed link up
Suzyhttp://suzysomedaysomewhere.blogspot.co.nz/

Lise said...

I'm so pleased to have learned about ABCW, I do enjoy posting and reading everyone's creative posts...yeah for the 13th round!

Whispering Thoughts said...

Great!