zany things about my homeland. When most people think of Canada, they think hockey, bacon, hockey, maple syrup, hockey, beer, and oh, did I mention hockey? Well, once you get past the stereotypes of beer and hockey, you find out just how diverse Canada is....and weird and zany!
1. In Dawson City, Yukon, there's a "Sourtoe Cocktail Club." For just $10 (Cdn) you can join the club and have a shot of whiskey. Easy peasy, right? Not so quick! There has to be a pickled human toe in the drink! The club's motto? "You can drink it fast, you can drink it slow - but the lips have gotta touch the toe!" Zany, huh?
2. Apparently, we eat more macaroni and cheese than any other nation on earth. At least we don't usually eat human toes!
3. The only walled city left in the USA or Canada is Quebec City. The signs can tell unwanted visitors to keep out in French and in English!
4. Remember when Canada won the Olympic Gold Hockey in 2010 and beat the USA in overtime? It's not really a zany fact, but I thought I'd mention it anyway!
5. Canada has more donut shops per capita than the USA...except they're simply called Tim Horton's. And we LOVE to eat donut holes!
6. IMAX was created in Canada. That means all those high-priced tickets are because of us. Sorry.
7. Canada ranks first in the use of the internet. We all need something to do during the hockey intermissions, so this shouldn't be too surprising.
8. Canada is made up of 6 different time zones. And in each time zone, the Vancouver Canucks have never won it, except way back in 1914/1915 when the team was called the Vancouver Millionaires. By the way, no sour toes, oops - I mean grapes, to the Boston Bruins for winning the cup this year!
9. Coffee Crisp chocolate bars are a Canadian creation and are rare in the USA. We love to eat our Coffee Crisps near American tourists really really slowly, pretending like it's the most amazing thing in the world!
10. The "Ogopogo" is BC's favourite mythological creature. Apparently, it got its name from a British song from 1924 called The Ogo-Pogo: The Funny FoxTrot. According to the lyrics, the Ogopogo loves to play a banjo that can charm other animals. Also, its mother was an earwig and its father was a whale. The mating ritual sounds like it'd be pretty zany!
zany bunch! Happy 146th Birthday, Canada!
Thanks to the zesty Mrs. Nesbitt, the creator of ABC Wednesday, and to the zealous Roger, our administrator for their zany efforts at keeping the fun going. A new round starts next week, so please encourage your friends, families, and even total strangers to try us out. Just remind them to read and follow the rules and guidelines on our home page! By the way, how do I look modelling casual clothes on the cover of the "StylZ" magazine? How many Zs can you see?