About Me

My photo
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
I took very early retirement from teaching in '06 and did some traveling in Europe and the UK before settling down to do some private tutoring. As a voracious reader, I have many books waiting in line for me to read. Tell me I shouldn't read something, and I will. I'm a happy, optimistic person and I love to travel and through that believe that life can be a continuous learning experience. I'm looking forward to traveling more some day. I enjoy walking, cycling, water aerobics & and sports like tennis, volleyball, and fastpitch/baseball. I'm just getting into photography as a hobby and I'm enjoying learning all the bits and bobs of my digital camera. My family is everything to me and I'm delighted to be the mother of two girls and the Gramma of a boy and a girl. I may be a Gramma, but I'm at heart just a girl who wants to have fun.

Sunday, January 12, 2014

A is for AAA Movies

Welcome to Round 14 of ABC Wednesday!  How do you like our new logo?  I think it's awesome!  Welcome to newcomers and may I suggest you read the Rules and Guidelines on ABCW's home page.  Remember to link to ABC Wednesday's site so others can see the posts and be sure to include in your writing a reference to the letter of the week. 

After trying to think of a theme for this round and unable to come up with anything unique, I have decided to simply do anything I feel like as the weeks pass.  So today I will tell you about two movies I've recently seen that begin with the letter A.  If I were to give them scores like reviewers give stars, I would give both of them 5 As.

First, we saw "American Hustle," a movie I'd been dying to see since I'd first read its review in our local paper.  It's a combination of crime, comedy and drama all mixed together and loosely based on the FBI ABSCAM operation in the late 70's/early 80's.  For us it was a trip back in time to see corded rotary phones, fabulous cars from the era, clothes, hairstyles, and a new invention - the microwave oven.  The plot moves along well and the actors are absolutely fabulous!  You can check it out online to see if it's something you'd like to watch, but I highly recommend it.  The one thing I'm a bit disappointed about is that Christian Bale didn't receive the Golden Globe...in my mind, he was amazing and the central character around whom everyone else revolved
Moving on to the other movie, I must tell you about "August: Osage County," starring Meryl Streep and Julia Rogers.  It was based on the Pulitzer Prize winning play by Tracy Letts, and the cast also includes such notable actors as Chris Cooper, Ewan McGregor, Julianne Nicholson, Juliette Lewis, Dermot Mulroney, Sam Shepherd, Margo Martindale, and Abigail Breslin.  There are a few other lesser known actors, and they are all no less awesome in their roles.  It is a powerful movie in that all the female characters are extremely strong-willed in their own way and the story goes on to suggest how and why they are the way they are.  The family dinner that is the dramatic centerpiece of the film is vicious!  Family truths come to light and I dare you not to relate to at least one character or at the very least know someone similar!
Many thanks to the amazing Denise Nesbitt, the creator of ABC Wednesday and to the amenable Roger Green, our administrator.  If you'd like to be part of the ABCW team, which means formally visiting about 10 posts per week, please get in touch with Roger.  The more the merrier and the easier the job is for all involved.

27 comments:

Powell River Books said...

Love the new logo, I'll go get one now. We've been going to the movies more lately. One of my favourite recently was Nebraska, filmed in black and white. I think it made it easier to focus on the story line that way. - Margy

Roger Owen Green said...

Saw American Hustle, and loved it. August only opened here Friday, and I haven't had a chance to see it. Thanks for plugging ABC Wednesday, and being such a part of it!

mrsnesbitt said...

We rarely go to the cinema as it's so far away but I do keep up to date with reviews, we'll get to see it on the TV eventually! lol!

MERYL JAFFE, PhD - parent, psychologist, teacher, author... said...

Ooohh. Now I have something new to look forward to! Thanks, and have a great week.

Carver said...

I haven't seen the American Hustle yet but want to. I also think the logo is awesome.

Rajesh said...

This definitely great stuff.

Linda said...

Have you seen Nebraska? It's quite good.

photowannabe said...

We don't go to the movies very often but these do sound enticing...maybe a movie date is in order.

Photo Cache said...

I'd probably wait for the dvd of these movies.

FRANKLY MY DEAR

Leovi said...

Yes, you're right, it's great for your new logo ABC Wednesday

Ann said...

I've been anxious to see "August - Osage County" ever since seeing a documentary on the making of the movie. I heard some reviews and they were not good--but I never let them sway what I want to see. Anxious for this round.
Ann

Hildred said...

No Movie Theatre in our little village so have to rely on Netflix and DVDs from the library - hence always a little behind the entertainment times..

AmitAag said...

Wonderful!
http://amitaag.blogspot.in/2014/01/auroville.html

Obsessivemom said...

Thanks..will sure check them out. I like Meryl Streep.

Anonymous said...

Both movies look great! August Osage County was filmed near a friends home in Oklahoma and she kept us updated as filming progressed!

Reader Wil said...

Thanks for sharing these movies! There are many movies and series I need to see!
Next week Friday I will be home again in a cooler, may be cold weather. It's nice to be on a holiday, but coming home is also nice.

Nydia said...

Hello, Leslie! :)
It's great to be back to teh ABCW!

Loved your post, thank you for the suggestions on the movies, I'm definitely checking them out, as I love Christian Bale and Ewan McGregor.

Kisses!

Lisa said...

Two movies that are definitely on my "to-see" list! Thanks for the recommendation. I've been absent from ABC Wednesday but can play this round!

Nabanita said...

I have been wanting to see American Hustle ever since I saw it's trailer... Maybe this weekend !:)

Liz Hinds said...

If that's a scene from the film it must have been some family dinner!!

Anonymous said...

I agree wholeheartedly - you should do anything you like, till you are totally well again!

Joy said...

August: Osage County hasn't opened here yet but its on my list of cinema visits when it opens. I was in two minds about American Hustle, the advert clip on the radio here was both amusing and intriguing, I may give it a go now.

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

haven't watched yr A movies but like your choice of As: Many thanks to the amazing Denise Nesbitt, the creator of ABC Wednesday and to the amenable Roger Green, our administrator

betty-NZ said...

These haven't made it to NZ yet but I will be looking out for them!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

I'll be looking out for these in deepest Sicily, too.

Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

Both movies sound great to me, especially "August: Osage Country." My wife and I rarely go to the movies, but we did manage to go see "Saving Mr. Banks," and highly recommend it. Blessings!

Indrani said...

I am making a note, I have to watch the movies.

(Sorry for the late visit.)