About Me

My photo
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
I took very early retirement from teaching in '06 and did some traveling in Europe and the UK before settling down to do some private tutoring. As a voracious reader, I have many books waiting in line for me to read. Tell me I shouldn't read something, and I will. I'm a happy, optimistic person and I love to travel and through that believe that life can be a continuous learning experience. I'm looking forward to traveling more some day. I enjoy walking, cycling, water aerobics & and sports like tennis, volleyball, and fastpitch/baseball. I'm just getting into photography as a hobby and I'm enjoying learning all the bits and bobs of my digital camera. My family is everything to me and I'm delighted to be the mother of two girls and the Gramma of a boy and a girl. I may be a Gramma, but I'm at heart just a girl who wants to have fun.

Sunday, January 19, 2014

B is for BAKER and the BEACH

As I mentioned last week, I decided that for this round I will write about whatever comes to mind at the time of writing.  So this week, I bring you Mount Baker and the beach at Lighthouse Park.

On January 5th we woke up to a beautiful sunny day, so as we needed gas, we both drove our cars to Point Roberts (across the border in Washington state).  I took Tegan with us so she could go swimming at the beach after we'd filled up.  I know - swimming in the ocean in early January?  For those who don't know, Tegan is our one-year-old English Labrador who doesn't care what the temperature is or whether the water is clear, salty, brackish or even thick with mud like the river.  The sea surface temperature was roughly the same as the air temperature: 6 celsius or about 40 fahrenheit.

After filling up our gas tanks and getting a dog biscuit from the station attendant for Tegan, we headed for the beach at Lighthouse Park.  This is one of our regular haunts at any time of year.  After I took a few shots of Lorne throwing a stick into the ocean for Tegan to fetch, I decided to take a walk along the gravel path lining the beach to see what I could see.  As my ankle was still rather weak, I took it very slowly.  I think I caught some pretty good shots, as you'll see in the shortslide show I made for you.

But before you click to watch the slideshow, remember to thank the beautiful Denise and the brilliant Roger for the bounteous amount of time they've spent both creating and running ABC Wednesday.  If you're new to the site, a BIG welcome to you but please take a moment to read the Rules and Guidelines on the main page.  Thanks so much and now on with the show!  Oh, I almost forgot - turn up your sound and click to watch it in full screen.  It looks and sounds much better that way.  GO!
Click to play this Smilebox slideshow

32 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

The western part of the US (and adjacent Canada) will be as warm soon as the eastern part is going to be cold, with Polar Vortex II!

Indrani said...

That is a very fine collection of photos.

Carver said...

Beautiful post for B week.

MERYL JAFFE, PhD - parent, psychologist, teacher, author... said...

What a beautiful day!!! It's been snowing in my neck of the woods all day...that warm sun by you looks more and more inviting with each shot!

Have a great week.k

Shailaja V said...

That's a beautiful post! Glad I found ABC Wednesday :)

photowannabe said...

I am so happy to see you and Lorne able to get out and enjoy the sunshine together.
Delightful photos. Mount Baker is so regal in your shots.

Leovi said...

Wonderful place, I love your B! Nice pictures!

Photo Cache said...

there's a baker beach in san fran.

FRANKLY MY DEAR

Reader Wil said...

Good to see you both together in the sunshine! Have we wonderful week.

ellen b. said...

Glad it's an easy jaunt for you to come across the line. Lovely views! I can see Mount Baker from my area close to Seattle...

Hazel said...

Guess the mud would have looked fun on Tegan's fur. I could not play the slideshow. I'll try with a faster connection later.

Rajesh said...

Beautiful place, very scenic.

Rajesh said...

Beautiful place, very scenic.

Gattina said...

Beautiful place for a walk, (and a swim)
Gattina
ABC Wednesday Team

Obsessivemom said...

Your slideshow made me smile. Tegan looks like such good company. Good to see Lorne up and about.

mrsnesbitt said...

Wow! Leslie Tegan is beautiful. Bing's overseas buddy eh? lol!

Lisa said...

Beautiful just doesn't seem to capture how lovely these photos are! Well done! I enjoyed it.

Ann said...

Look at you guys out and about!!So glad you were able to enjoy the day. I always enjoy your videos so much, you live in such a stunning part of the world.
Ann

Beverley Baird said...

Love seeing BC through your posts! Can't wait to return and see more of that beautiful province.

kalpana solsi said...

I love beaches and they are a pleasure to be at any time of the year.

Hildred said...

Great video, Leslie, - so good to see you out enjoying a sunny day together, - to say nothing of that fabulous blue sky...

Ni de Aqui, Ni de Alla said...

Great video! Your pictures are beautiful, I'm glad you enjoying the beach and I'm sure Tegan was so happy to swim. The weather at Canada seems way warmer than here in the Midwest. Have a great day, Leslie!

Joy said...

Beach and mountains is a winning combination. Glad to see you are both out and about.

Anonymous said...

Really and truly Beautiful! Glad you were all out to enjoy the day!

Nabanita said...

So beautiful and serene...! I've been waiting for a holiday for so long...soon I hope :)

Nevin said...

Nice collection of pics and neatly organized!

Nydia said...

Lovely images in all directions. :)
Your dog is absolutely adorable!

Unknown said...

Beautiful set of the pictures!!

Anonymous said...

Serene and tranquil.

Redlane Geraine said...

You took fabulous photos, Leslie. And it's so good to see Tegan again. :)

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

I was going to write, you probably won't go to the beach. Then I remember when I was in Canada, in winter I went to the park next to the Detroit River, and said and looked at ice blocks floating down the river.

Powell River Books said...

I was up at the cabin last week so missed the B post. You get a better view of Baker than we do in Bellingham, near its foot. From Mom's old condo we could just see the tip above the foothills. Tegan sure had fun at the beach. That stick looked pretty heavy for mouth carrying. - Margy