About Me

My photo
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
I took very early retirement from teaching in '06 and did some traveling in Europe and the UK before settling down to do some private tutoring. As a voracious reader, I have many books waiting in line for me to read. Tell me I shouldn't read something, and I will. I'm a happy, optimistic person and I love to travel and through that believe that life can be a continuous learning experience. I'm looking forward to traveling more some day. I enjoy walking, cycling, water aerobics & and sports like tennis, volleyball, and fastpitch/baseball. I'm just getting into photography as a hobby and I'm enjoying learning all the bits and bobs of my digital camera. My family is everything to me and I'm delighted to be the mother of two girls and the Gramma of a boy and a girl. I may be a Gramma, but I'm at heart just a girl who wants to have fun.

Monday, February 13, 2017

F is for FYLINGDALES

Welcome to ABC Wednesday!  This week, we honour the letter F as in film, fancy, farmer, flamboyant, and fervour.  I'm going to continue my travel log by telling you about a fascinating area  I visited in North Yorkshire, England.  FYLINGDALES is a parish in the North Yorkshire Moors National Park that includes the village of Robin Hood's Bay and Fyling Hall School.

One afternoon, after exploring Whitby Abbey, Jill's Mom suddenly thought we should drive out to the moors to show me an old church perched on a small knoll with its cemetery that is visited by local sheep to keep the grass down.  The first church was founded in the 11th century but in 1870, the building was replaced because it was in poor condition, being both dark and too small.  As of 1986, it is in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust.

I took many photos inside this fascinating church and Jill and her Mom told me the story of the Maidens' Garlands.  The heartbreaking display is of garlands made out of strips of cloth that women wound into "crowns" at the funeral procession of young, single and chaste girls who had passed away, never to experience the joys of womanhood and motherhood.
Outside, sheep were grazing among the grave stones and across the narrow lane, cows contentedly munched away.  Gazing into the distance and down the hill I could see Robin Hood's Bay with its red roofs, a beautiful, small fishing village right by the seaside.  It has a "tradition of smuggling, and there is reputed to be a network of subterranean passageways linking the houses. During the late 18th century smuggling was rife on the Yorkshire coast. Vessels from the continent brought contraband which was distributed by contacts on land and the operations were financed by syndicates who made profits without the risks taken by the seamen and the villagers. Tea, gin, rum, brandy and tobacco were among the contraband smuggled into Yorkshire from the Netherlands and France to avoid the duty."

As it was a spur of the moment idea to take me here, it's fascinating that it ended up to be one of my favourite spots to see.This is a shot I found on Google and I like it because it shows the church and its cemetery on the hillside on a beautiful summer day.  You can see my shots on the slideshow which is, as usual, accompanied by music to set the mood.  I hope you enjoy it.  This post is dedicated to Jill and her Mom with greatest thanks for taking me there.
With fervent thanks to the entire team of ABC Wednesday, beginning with the flaxen-haired Denise Nesbitt, our creator, and the fabled Roger, our administrator.  Also, thanks to the faithful team who assist in visiting each and every contributor and to Melody, a familiar ABCW member who has agreed to take on the formidable task of being the new administrator beginning with the next Round (21).
Click to play this Smilebox slideshow

19 comments:

K V V S MURTHY said...

Really Fascinating.

MelodyK said...

Wow Leslie, indeed fasinating! Isn't it wonderful to be able to much such trips and vistis, and more so, remember it afterwords and have so much joy at every time you look back at your photo's.... as we can do when you share them ...


Have a nice ABC-Wednesday / _ Week
♫ M e l ☺ d y ♫ (abc=w=team)
http://melodymusic.nl/abc-wednesday-20-f/

(ps.... and? does it go well with wp ?

Trubes said...

Interesting story about the wreaths and the poor
maidens never to know the joy of having a child
etc.
I particularly like the pictures of the hills and dales
and the wooly sheep and cows,
you love of Yorkshire shines through again.
Best wishes,
Di.
ABCW team.

Roger Owen Green said...

I love old cemeteries!
ROG, ABCW

carol l mckenna said...

Wonderful post with gorgeous countryside photos and video ~ for F ~ thanks,

Wishing you a Happy Weekend ahead ~ ^_^

ellen b said...

Fabulous history and places you visited. I'm going to watch your video now. I love England...well all of Great Britain. Thank you for being part of the ABC team!

ellen b said...

Those garlands are sobering. I enjoyed your video!

Rajesh said...

Very nice tour of church.

Hildred said...

As always, Leslie, a wonderful choice and a beautiful video to accompany it. It DO love England, - don't know why my ancestors left :(

Reader Wil said...

Thank you for the lovely video accompanied by such beautiful music. The stories of the young girls who died before marriage and motherhood , are sad but very emotional.

Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

I am fascinated by traditions, so my favorite part of your post is the story behind the Maiden's Garlands. It's sad, but it sounds like a sweet way to commemorate the maiden's young lives. Blessings, my friend.

Ann said...

A beautiful trip to see the old sights. Your speaking my language with the church and the monuments---gorgeous church. Robin Hood Bay sounds fantastic with the red roofs.
Ann

Powell River Books said...

What history there is in the church and surrounding cemetery. - Margy

Lea said...

Interesting!
Hope you are having a great day!

Joy said...

A poignant reminder of mortality, and the music fitted it beautifully. A lovely setting for a church,

Pat B said...

What a great post! All the history you shared, the smilebox and the photos brought this place to into my mind and heart.

prince said...

play bazaar

Play bazaar
satta king See what the worth is on your home.

Unknown said...

आपकी न्यूज़ lead to more joyful, more secure outing whether you are leaving city for an end of the week escape, or turning away to a remote area for a considerable length of time, voyaging carries with it a specific amount of issues and fears..

Satta King said...

satta king
play bazaar Pyaar Chupta Nahi Chupane SePooch Lo Tum Bhi Is Zamane Se,Pyaar Chupta Nahi Chupane Se.Paas Aate Ho Choote Ho Baat Karte Ho,Kabhi Matlab Se Kabhi Bahaane Se.Pyaar Dil Me Hai To Lao Zubaan Pe,Aag Badhti Hai Ye Bujhaane Se.Tumhe Na Paana Shayad Behtar Hai,Paa Ke Phir Se Tumhe Ganwane Se.Chalo Ek Dua To Apni Poori Hui,Mil Liye Apne Ek Deewaaney Se.Roye Jaate Ho, Bas Roye Jaate Ho,Kya Hoga Ye Dhan Lutaane Se.Karo Koshish Ki Kurbate Hi Rahe,Dooriya Badh Jaati Hai Badhaane Se.Kya Sunaaye Kisi Ko Raaz-e-Dil,Dard Bhi Badhta Hai Sunaane Se.Bhool Jaao Kar Ke Achha Hai,Ehsaan Rehta Nahi Jataane Se.