About Me

My photo
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
I took very early retirement from teaching in '06 and did some traveling in Europe and the UK before settling down to do some private tutoring. As a voracious reader, I have many books waiting in line for me to read. Tell me I shouldn't read something, and I will. I'm a happy, optimistic person and I love to travel and through that believe that life can be a continuous learning experience. I'm looking forward to traveling more some day. I enjoy walking, cycling, water aerobics & and sports like tennis, volleyball, and fastpitch/baseball. I'm just getting into photography as a hobby and I'm enjoying learning all the bits and bobs of my digital camera. My family is everything to me and I'm delighted to be the mother of two girls and the Gramma of a boy and a girl. I may be a Gramma, but I'm at heart just a girl who wants to have fun.

Saturday, February 04, 2017

E is for EAGLES

Welcome to E week at ABC Wednesday!   E as in eggs, Elvis, emerald, exertion, and EAGLES.  We see a lot of bald eagles where I live just north of the United States border on the west coast.  And especially at this time of year, we see them here teaching their fledglings how to fly and prey on small critters. 

I often go out with my camera to try to get shots of them, but this year is an exciting year because there has been an increase in those who have gathered in one location near the dyke.  Apparently, when the water is high due to heavy rains, it's extremely hard for eagles to access their main food source - salmon. Most of the salmon were washed out of the tributaries and into the Fraser River.  However, because there is an organic transfer station nearby, the waste has become a secondary source of food for the eagles.  Also, there are a lot of ducks and seagulls in the area so they are sources of food for them, too.

I haven't been too successful getting good shots of the eagles, but here are a few I can share.  Go and see some of a local photographer's shots at www.delta-optimist.com.  Scroll down to the photos and click to see 14 shots by Gord Goble.  Here are a few of my not-so-professional ones.




 
Everlasting thanks to Denise Nesbitt for creating ABC Wednesday, to our extremely erudite current editor Roger, and to the eager Melody who has enthusiastically agreed to be our next editor when this meme continues in July.  Be sure to explain all about ABCW to your friends and family and encourage them to take part.  I can tell you that I've met many ladies in person through ABCW and feel that I've made some enchanting new friends!

17 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

Thanks for the Eagles. Though I Was waiting for Hotel California...

ROG, ABCW

photowannabe said...

Roger's comment made me smile..I had the same thought.
I think your photos of the Eagles are great.
They certainly are magnificent birds.

MelodyK said...

Gorgeous creatures.... I never see them in the wild over here but today I went to a zoo in which a large group is present....

Have a nice ABC-Wednesday / _ Week
♫ M e l ☺ d y ♫ (abc=w=team)
http://melodymusic.nl/abc-wednesday-20e/
(want to take a preview at the new url starting round 21 ? http://abcwednesday.wordpress.com)

ellen b said...

Wonderful photos of this majestic bird. It's always so Exciting to see an Eagle in person!

Hildred said...

Lots of eagles here in the Similkameen. The first nations people called it Eagle Valley. When one ancient matriarch from the First Nations died here many, many years ago I watched two eagles circle her funeral cortege as it came up the valley...very impressive and inclined to catch one's heart.

Pat B said...

After linking up I saw your post. I too chose E is for Eagles. I live to the south of you. They are such beautiful birds. My husband takes, wonderful photos of eagles, because he uses a different camera and he is just a much better photographer than I am, so the ones I shared do not match his. You have a nice selection and have a very nice photo of the one flying! I haven't gotten a photo of one flying yet, or at least not near enough for it to be a good photo.

Photo Cache said...

Whenever I read or hear EAGLES, the band is always the first thing that comes to my mind :)

Frankly My Dear

Rajesh said...

Fantastic shots of eagles.

Trubes said...

Great post Leslie and YOUR photo's are fab.
Why are Bald Headed Eagles called such when they
seem to have feathers on their heads?
We saw a Golden Eagle in The Highlands of Scotland,
during one of our trips,
We were amazed at it's wing span, it seemed to block
out the light, Wonderful sight !
Love Di,
ABCW team.

carol l mckenna said...

Absolutely wonderful photography of eagles ~ for E ~ thanks,

Wishing you a Happy and Peaceful Week ~ ^_^

Joy said...

What a treat to have these on your doorstep, love the flying shot.

Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

They are such regal birds, and to think the turkey could have been the USA national bird. I've never seen one in the wild, but I did see one that was in rehabilitation in a zoo once. Blessings, my friend!

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

majestic birds,you shot some good photos.

Gattina said...

That's a very long time ago that I haven't seen an eagle ! Your pictures are beautiful !

prince said...

See what the worth is on your home. play bazaar

Play bazaar
satta king

Unknown said...

lead to more joyful, more secure outing whether you are leaving city for an end of the week escape, or turning away to a remote area for a considerable length of time, voyaging carries with it a specific amount of issues and fears..
AAPKI NEWS

Satta King said...

Pyaar Chupta Nahi Chupane SePooch Lo Tum Bhi Is Zamane Se,Pyaar Chupta Nahi Chupane Se.Paas Aate Ho Choote Ho Baat Karte Ho,Kabhi Matlab Se Kabhi Bahaane Se.Pyaar Dil Me Hai To Lao Zubaan Pe,Aag Badhti Hai Ye Bujhaane Se.Tumhe Na Paana Shayad Behtar Hai,Paa Ke Phir Se Tumhe Ganwane Se.Chalo Ek Dua To Apni Poori Hui,Mil Liye Apne Ek Deewaaney Se.Roye Jaate Ho, Bas Roye Jaate Ho,Kya Hoga Ye Dhan Lutaane Se.Karo Koshish Ki Kurbate Hi Rahe,Dooriya Badh Jaati Hai Badhaane Se.Kya Sunaaye Kisi Ko Raaz-e-Dil,Dard Bhi Badhta Hai Sunaane Se.Bhool Jaao Kar Ke Achha Hai,Ehsaan Rehta Nahi Jataane Se. satta king
play bazaar