About Me

My photo
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
I took very early retirement from teaching in '06 and did some traveling in Europe and the UK before settling down to do some private tutoring. As a voracious reader, I have many books waiting in line for me to read. Tell me I shouldn't read something, and I will. I'm a happy, optimistic person and I love to travel and through that believe that life can be a continuous learning experience. I'm looking forward to traveling more some day. I enjoy walking, cycling, water aerobics & and sports like tennis, volleyball, and fastpitch/baseball. I'm just getting into photography as a hobby and I'm enjoying learning all the bits and bobs of my digital camera. My family is everything to me and I'm delighted to be the mother of two girls and the Gramma of a boy and a girl. I may be a Gramma, but I'm at heart just a girl who wants to have fun.

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

PUMPKIN LOAF

Mix the following ingredients - IN ORDER - and then fold into a well-greased 9 X 5 inch loaf pan. Bake at 325 degrees for 80 minutes.

1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinammon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
3/4 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp nutmeg
3/4 cup granulated white sugar
2 eggs
1/4 cup corn syrup
1/2 cup oil (Crisco or Mazola)
1 cup canned pumpkin
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped walnuts OR pecans

BON APPETIT!

6 comments:

CJinSOCAL said...

Leslie:
Thanks so much for the pumpkin loaf recipe!.....I will let you know how it turns out :)....I have lived in my condo four years now, and I have never turned my stove on....My youngest daughter gets so frustrated with me since I cook everything in the microwave...She is totally organic and keeps telling how microwaves alter the molecular structure of the food....So, I a mutating at 'warp' speed I guess. It is so wierd, because I really AM a GREAT COOK!! I can't figure out why I won't cook, but I think that it just isn't that much fun to cook for just me....It was a family tradition to always go to my Mom's for Thanksgiving and Christmas, and then also to my inlaws home...And, I guess since I have been in school and studying I guess i just got out of the habit...I have a great recipe for Pumpkin soup I used to love to make...It was so fun, since we would scoop out all the 'seeds' and bake the seeds in the oven for eating, and then carve some of the pumpkins, but then I always had once pumpkin scooped out and then put the soup in it with a 'dallop' of sour cream on the top...It was fun...I am going to have to make time to have friends and family over and spoil them with some home cooking here pretty soon...With everyone talking about great food, and good recipe's all the time I am losing my desire to eat Healthy Choice TV dinners every night, lol...
Thanks Again! When are we going to see a picture of you in your NEW COAT???
Peace and Joy,
CJ

leslie said...

Hi back at ya, CJ. For sure, let me know how the loaf turns out. It's great warm with a teeny bit of Becel Light on it. I'm not fond of cooking unless it's for company 'cuz I guess it's just boring for one. As I was coming home tonight, I thought "gee, it's almost time to wear my new coat!" so I'll have to get my daughter to get a picture.

Love to you and yours,
Leslie

JUMP 8 said...

leslie--thank you thank you for your lovely post on my blog? is that what it is called? your loss of your husband must have been so devastating...to have struggled so long with his issues and then such a difficult death. my heart goes out to you. each of us struggles in our own way, and there is no one way that is easier than another. the only thing that changed for me was the extraordinary gifts sent to me by my higher power--things i could never do before became part of me. so for all of our suffering, if we trust we will get our share of gifts.
and you are a riot! have read many of your posts. and damn, wish i were a cook. being alone and being a vegetarian makes for dull cooking. but i guess i put in my 20 years with the kids lol!
now i am considering turning my kitchen into a walk-in closet! so glad to meet you, and thank you again for taking the time to introduce yourself and welcome me!
vanessa

JUMP 8 said...

leslie--forgot to say, no i did not meet richard at either event. somehow i just couldn't fathom traveling to spend time with a man who had only fifteen minutes to spare to meet five women at a time. i hear that everyone had a blast, but got to admit the entire premise was a little too egotistical for my taste. i am glad it turned out so well for the women--just not my thing! if someone wants to meet me, they can do it one on one. that's what gives me a little trepedation now that richard has doubled the final group size and cut in half the amount of time spent with the groups. but it's an adventure, and besides having a black belt in shopping, i am sure i can entertain myself should it break down, i've chosen a hotel on rodeo drive (the one where they filmed "pretty woman", so who knows, richard gere may saunter through the lobby LOL!
vanessa

willemina said...

This sounds yummy!
I'm going to try it this weekend...

willemina said...

Vanessa,
I like thae comment about turning your kitchen into a walk in closet! LOL
My grandmother sold her stove as she ate out 3 meals a day. She only had a hot plate to make soup and tea in case she got sick...
She was a great woman and I miss her lots.