About Me

My photo
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
I took very early retirement from teaching in '06 and did some traveling in Europe and the UK before settling down to do some private tutoring. As a voracious reader, I have many books waiting in line for me to read. Tell me I shouldn't read something, and I will. I'm a happy, optimistic person and I love to travel and through that believe that life can be a continuous learning experience. I'm looking forward to traveling more some day. I enjoy walking, cycling, water aerobics & and sports like tennis, volleyball, and fastpitch/baseball. I'm just getting into photography as a hobby and I'm enjoying learning all the bits and bobs of my digital camera. My family is everything to me and I'm delighted to be the mother of two girls and the Gramma of a boy and a girl. I may be a Gramma, but I'm at heart just a girl who wants to have fun.

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

ABC Wednesday - W is for Wassail

Wassail is a hot, spiced punch associated with Christmas. While the beverage typically served as "wassail" at modern holiday feasts with a medieval theme most closely resembles mulled cider, historical wassail was completely different, more likely to be mulled beer or mead. Sugar, ale, ginger, nutmeg, and cinnamon would be placed in a bowl, heated, and topped with slices of toast as sops. This drink would be the equivalent to beer or wine in many of the more prominent and better-known cultures of today. People drank it at parties and it was the main ale of the day. "Come butler, come fill us a bowl of the best/... please god send our master a good cask of ale..." sang throughout the towns of the germanic nations, sending good luck to even one's own master in the new year.
For recipes, click here. I couldn't believe how many recipes there are on the internet but frankly, I still prefer my traditional dark rum and coke (with a twist of lime) on Christmas Eve.
So I'm raising my cup to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas!

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is the first time I heard such drink. Very interesting!

If you have time, please check my "W" posts here and here. Happy holidays!

jmb said...

Sounds good to me right now Leslie, with all this snow. I think we are all wondering if our plans for Christmas are going to go up in smoke (so to speak) if we get more.

Have a wonderful Christmas and hopefully with your family and friends and best wishes with your operation, coming up so soon.

Bear Naked said...

I tried *wassail* just once.
I have to admit that I didn't like the taste.

Seasons greetings from my blog to your blog.


Bear((( )))

Anonymous said...

We don't have any navy rum, but we've a large bottle of spiced rum for Christmas drinks (good with coke or egg nog)! Hope that's ok with you!

Jamie

Jo said...

Warms me right up, just reading about it!

Merry Christmas to you and your family, Leslie!

Cheers!
Josie

Anonymous said...

I do like your Winter Wonderland sequence - done on the Solstice.
Much Happiness this Yuletide for you, Leslie.

anthonynorth said...

I've heard of this but wasn't sure what it was. I bet it has a kick to it.

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

I love mulled wine, but not cider. Maybe it would taste different, sure would warm you up..just looked at the weather forecast and we might need it!

Merry Christmas to you and your family Leslie, hope you have a super time. And a very Merry New Year :-)

ArneA said...

W is for waiting time over.
Merry Christmas!

antigoni said...

Great post and the photos at your previous post are awesome! Merry Christmas.

Liz Hinds said...

Still rushing and not able to read much but gather that L is a pretty good egg!

Wishing you and yours a wonderful Christmas and a healthy New Year! xx

Powell River Books said...

I raise my glass of Wassail and wish you a very merry Christmas Leslie. -- Margy

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hope you're having a good one, Leslie.

kml said...

I always wondered what it was. Hope you have a happy holiday season!!

Trubes said...

Mmmm that looks and sounds delicious Leslie.

Hope you are having a lovely time.
All good wishes too you and your family for 2009.

Di.xx

Pear tree cottage! said...

Dear Leslie, it has been so long since I last visited you dear blogger friend, so here I am today finding out how you, your dear darling grandchildren and your family are at this the most special of holiday seasons and sending you many good wishes always. "happy boxing day" and may the new year be filled with much happiness for you today and always.

Lee-ann

Smalltown RN said...

I've been thinking about you...and wondering how your Christmas went and about your up coming surgery...I hope all goes well...I am sure it will...and that you recover quickly!!!