About Me

My photo
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
I took very early retirement from teaching in '06 and did some traveling in Europe and the UK before settling down to do some private tutoring. As a voracious reader, I have many books waiting in line for me to read. Tell me I shouldn't read something, and I will. I'm a happy, optimistic person and I love to travel and through that believe that life can be a continuous learning experience. I'm looking forward to traveling more some day. I enjoy walking, cycling, water aerobics & and sports like tennis, volleyball, and fastpitch/baseball. I'm just getting into photography as a hobby and I'm enjoying learning all the bits and bobs of my digital camera. My family is everything to me and I'm delighted to be the mother of two girls and the Gramma of a boy and a girl. I may be a Gramma, but I'm at heart just a girl who wants to have fun.

Monday, April 12, 2010

M is for Medicine

It's hard to believe we're halfway through Round 6 of ABC Wednesday! Yet here we are at the letter M already...and I've decided to focus on the word medicine this week. It seems as if we've done nothing but do the rounds to general practictioners, surgeons, oncologists, medical labs for blood workups and CT scans, nurses, anaesthesiologists, and others who will help us deal with things from a psychological point of view.

I'm struggling to maintain my sense of humour, weird as it may be, but it's the only way I can deal with all that's happening to my DL. He is having a terrible time coping right now and I guess it's normal for him to go through these stages. First there was denial, then weeping, and then anger. He's been pushing his loved ones away stating that he'll handle this on his own. Now we all know that's impossible. But for now, we let him alone to absorb this terrific impact.

Medicine has come a long way from the days of witch doctors and grasses, roots, and herbs to the current technological advances. There was a day not too long ago in the past when one would simply accept the word "cancer" as a death sentence. Now, not so much. So many types of cancers are literally curable and most can be treated so that the patient can continue with as normal a lifestyle as possible. Yet we still panic when we hear the C word and are told surgery is scheduled April 26th. (Note: see how quickly you get in when it's something urgent!)
I don't deny that I will not be able to breathe a sigh of relief until about two weeks post-surgery when we will (hopefully) hear the words "It hasn't spread. You'll be fine without further treatment." Maybe those words will be a wakeup call to take better care of ourselves. But if we hear anything other than those words, we will need to make the best of what time is left for us and live day by day.

In the meantime, I believe I've heard an expression that goes something like this: Laughter is the best medicine.
To see more contributions to ABC Wednesday, just click here.

23 comments:

nancygrayce said...

Leslie, I have always said that I have to laugh my way through many situations! If not, I'd be insane by now! So, his GP couldn't just prescribe some xanax or something? He really needs something to take the edge off!

Leslie: said...

Hi Nancy, yes he's going to call him tomorrow and perhaps get him on something as well as get him an appointment to talk to a social worker who specializes with cancer patients.

Trubes said...

Dear Leslie,
I'm so sorry that you and DL are having to go through so much....
More positive thoughts and prayers winging their way across 'The big Pond'.

Take care,
Di.xx

Liz Hinds said...

He'll realise soon that he can't do it alone and then you'll be there for him,so hang on in there, lovely. xx

Shrinky said...

Give that guy of yours a big hug from me, hon. Keep strong (as if there is any other option, eh?) and remember to look after yourself, too. I'm wishing you all the luck in the world for the best possible outcome, you both deserve it (x).

Anna said...

If we didn't laugh even in the darkest of days we would cry Leslie. Hope that the surgery goes well. Thinking of both of you.

Mara said...

Due to my schedule I had missed several ABC's and only now found out about your partner's cancer. I am so sorry. I hope his surgery will be really straightforward and the right words (it hasn't spread) will come doubly quick!

Sterkte!

Carol said...

This is hard stuff to laugh about....went through similar with the big C years ago...just did whatever it was I had to do each day to get by....they do say a cheerful disposition is better for recovery...thinking of you...
(it's a documentary)
the ICU cartoon IS funny!

Sylvia K said...

Leslie, I do hurt for both of you, this is so hard to deal with. I'm holding good thoughts. Hang in there and he will realize that he can't do this alone, and you both do need to hold on to the ability to laugh even as hard as it is. I love the ICU!!
Take care all of our thoughts are with you both!

Sylvia

SparkleFarkel said...

I just got back from putting myself in reverse, where I read some of you're previous blogs. I hadn't realised that, these days, you and your dearest wish for the ones that should have been. I am so sorry you and DL are having to go through such a difficult time. If I could, I would take you under one wing and your dearset under the other, where you two could feel a smitch better --even if for just a little while-- and I would tell you over and again that everything is going to be alright. I will keep you both tucked into my Good Night Prayers. Your friend, SparkleFarkle~~~~~*

Amy said...

Leslie, I'm so sorry to hear about your latest challenge. Laughter is always good medicine but you have to cry too. Two years ago my best friend was diagnosed with colon cancer. After her surgery she was declared "clear." No chemo, no radiation - it was definitely a wake up call. Praying for a positive outcome for the two of you as well.

mrsnesbitt said...

Oh leslie, my thoughts are with you so much hun xxxx

photowannabe said...

Life is too full of challenges. Keep smiling and loving that man of yours. Soon he will realize he has you there to lean on. Take care of your self too. Thinking of you and praying for you, Lorne and the entire family.
Sue

Roger Owen Green said...

Nothing to say except good luck, and God speed.

OH, I thought I might answer your question about McFerrin here. The album I love most, ironically Is Medicine Music. I have 3 links to it in the post. But CircleSongs is pretty much without words (one example there). And his last couple albums I don't have but have reviewed well.

ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Anonymous said...

Um, just curious, but surgery was scheduled 2 weeks out, and that is considered "quick"?

Beverley Baird said...

Leslie you and DL continue to be in my prayers. That's good news that surgery is only a couple of weeks away - les waiting!
I loved the cartoons - and yes laughter is the best medicine!
Take care of yourself!

jabblog said...

So sorry to read of your troubles. It's a hard path to follow but your optimism and good cheer will buoy up your DL when he is ready to open up. Holding positive thoughts for you both.

Unknown said...

Leslie, I am so sorry to hear about what you are going through. I had a scare once too and now I got to deal with Jasmine having a relapse in her kidney condition.
Stay strong and do take care of yourself.
Have you a great week now.
hugs
shakira

squirrel said...

You seem to be going through tough times but I think you have the right attitude. Humor can really be healing on all levels. Blessing.

Tarun Mitra said...

I hate all medicines xcept one..laughter...god post :)

Chris said...

Hi Lesley

So many things for you to think about but trust in God and faith will get you both through.
I am sure your DL will turn to you for comfort and strength and you will be strong even though you may think you can't be. Love conquers all..
Hugs and Blessings
Chris x

Jay said...

Oh, laughter is definitely the way to go! Good for you.

Those magic words .. hopefully you will indeed hear them. But if not, don't forget that bowel cancer is one of the most treatable. As you say, it used to be that cancer = death sentence, now, not so much. Both DH and I have had a form of it. and we're both past the five year 'you can go home now and don't come back' mark. It happens more and more. Yes, we're always watchful (me more so than he) but a decade or so ago, we'd be counting our lucky stars to have made it this far.

And actually, I do. ;)

Good luck! And 'good medicine'!

My site is back up now, in case you tried earlier! :)

Rositta said...

I guess some things do move fast when it's urgent. Good thing April 26 is not far off. All will be well...ciao