About Me

My photo
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
I took very early retirement from teaching in '06 and did some traveling in Europe and the UK before settling down to do some private tutoring. As a voracious reader, I have many books waiting in line for me to read. Tell me I shouldn't read something, and I will. I'm a happy, optimistic person and I love to travel and through that believe that life can be a continuous learning experience. I'm looking forward to traveling more some day. I enjoy walking, cycling, water aerobics & and sports like tennis, volleyball, and fastpitch/baseball. I'm just getting into photography as a hobby and I'm enjoying learning all the bits and bobs of my digital camera. My family is everything to me and I'm delighted to be the mother of two girls and the Gramma of a boy and a girl. I may be a Gramma, but I'm at heart just a girl who wants to have fun.

Sunday, March 31, 2013

L is for LIFE-PRESERVER

First of all, I'd like to send thanks to the lovely and likeable Mrs. Nesbitt, the creator of ABC Wednesday, and to the loyal and lion-hearted Roger, our current administrator for their leadership on ABCW.  Also, I lament the passing of Mrs. Nesbitt's loving little Ernest, her cockerel and mate to Mabel, one of Mrs. N's hens. I met them all when I visited them last summer and unofficially adopted Ernest as my little buddy. I am so sorry he passed away suddenly, followed unexpectedly by one of Mrs. Nesbitt's hens, May.

Lately, I've been thinking that we need to invest in a life-preserver for Tegan! When I researched life-preservers for dogs, I was amazed at the variety available. Since she's a water-loving dog, and since we've already had our first experience with her running into the river with another Labrador, I think it's appropriate.  I was having fits of panic that she'd get pulled along in the muddy waters, but she stayed near shore with Buster (the instigator of this adventure) and emerged looking exactly like him - BLACK!


It's a good thing Lorne had his camera handy, although I had to holler at him to take photos before she drowned!  Thinking back on it now, it was quite ludicrous, but at the time it was horrifying!  I had images of my lovely little Labrador puppy drifting off down the river and out to the mighty Pacific Ocean, only to become a luscious meal for some sort of sea creature! Of course, Lorne thinks I should lighten up and just go with the flow. (pardon the pun!)

Of course I put all the photos together to make a little slideshow for you all.  I hope it gives you as much of a laugh as it does us - now!  And be sure to turn the music up loud 'cuz it really helps set the mood!
Click to play this Smilebox slideshow

25 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

yes, nice tribute to D's poultry!

Liz Hinds said...

Lovely! She's growing so fast. that's the trouble with pale dogs: everyone sees the dirt more easily and says, 'oh what a dirty dog!

Reader Wil said...

I remeber our dog which didn't like to be washed either. Wonderful video.
Something else Leslie. I saw that you scheduled the introduction of M on 11 April. Shouldn't that be on 9 April? Or am I mistaken?

jill said...

Lovely xx

anthonynorth said...

We have to keep them safe, don't we?

Carver said...

Great tribute and post. I didn't realize there were life preservers for dogs. Carver, ABC Wed. Team

Meryl said...

Oh I love your slide shows and the photos...handsome dog and vest! Have a great week.

photowannabe said...

Tegan has the most delightful expressions on his face.
I laughed out loud at the pouty one.
Oh my the color of your beautiful bath tub....
This is a fun post Leslie.
Thanks for the tribute to Denise's hens. I have been gone and didn't know anything about it.

Wanda said...

Oh loved your slide show...and good to know you dear Tegan was baptized properly with imersion!! HaHa

Great post, and nice tribute to Denise's hens.

Anonymous said...

Lots of great 'L' words ~ and wonderful images ~ ^_^

Anonymous said...

I didn't realize they have life preserver for dogs. How incredible.

Hildred said...

A perfect picture of the ordeal a dog goes through at bathrime. Great post, as always Leslie.

LONDONLULU said...

Dogs grow too quickly! I shudder at the thought of a drowning doggie, nice and cheery choice of life vest!

Rajesh said...

Very cute, I would love to hold it in my arms.

A Colorful World said...

A lovely L post! I enjoyed it very much! Sorry about Ms. Nesbitt's hen!

Nonnie said...

LOVE it! You know, of course, that it was the bath that wore Tegan out!

Joy said...

Oh yes so funny. My stepson's Lab is always launching itself into muddy ponds and its companion the spaniel likes to follow but with its little legs usually finds it easier to get in than get out.
BTW Your right in your Windermere assumption from your visit to this part of England.

Beverley Baird said...

Got a chuckle Leslie! Love your post! Your dog is growing up so quickly.

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

lovely, loveyshow you put on.

Mai said...

can't help but chuckle. what an adventurous dog, and dirty, LOL!

Chubskulit Rose said...

So sorry about Denise's lovely chicken! Your little one is getting more handsome each day!

Las Vegas
Catching up (again) for L entries, oh Lord, I am always LATE!
Rose, ABC Wednesday Team

Lise said...

Sorry to hear about Ernest, hope Mabel isn't too lonely!

I really enjoy participating in ABCWednesday, and am thankful for all of you who make it happen!

Tegan is one lucky and much loved little (or not so much any more) guy! May you enjoy a lifetime together:)

Smalltown RN said...

That is just priceless Leslie...my goodness what a good job you did with the slide show. You must also be into scrap booking as your slideshow was so well put together music and all! Beautiful puppy! Looks like he behaved though!

Russell said...

I never realized you can get life preservers for dogs - but that certainly makes sense.

Tegan is getting bigger....!!

Black Jack's Carol said...

I enjoyed your video. She has such an incredibly Lovely face. Black Jack used to hate baths, but since I got the idea of putting a special treat on the edge of the tub.. one that I don't give her at any other time.. broken up into little tiny bits.. she quite likes them now :) Life jackets are a wonderful idea, but a fast moving river, even with the preserver, is dangerous. And after seeing how quickly a little mink killed a huge seagull (seconds.. just one bite and then held its head under water), I know a reliable recall is vital. A dog who swims too far out can run into problems (seals, otters, fatigue). I'd rather see your cautious attitude. One mistake is sadly sometimes one too many.