About Me

My photo
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
I took very early retirement from teaching in '06 and did some traveling in Europe and the UK before settling down to do some private tutoring. As a voracious reader, I have many books waiting in line for me to read. Tell me I shouldn't read something, and I will. I'm a happy, optimistic person and I love to travel and through that believe that life can be a continuous learning experience. I'm looking forward to traveling more some day. I enjoy walking, cycling, water aerobics & and sports like tennis, volleyball, and fastpitch/baseball. I'm just getting into photography as a hobby and I'm enjoying learning all the bits and bobs of my digital camera. My family is everything to me and I'm delighted to be the mother of two girls and the Gramma of a boy and a girl. I may be a Gramma, but I'm at heart just a girl who wants to have fun.

Saturday, July 28, 2007

Clematis (KLEM-uh-tiss)

Today I noticed my clematis (KLEM-uh-tiss) is in full bloom. Early this spring, I had chopped it down right to the ground and it has sprung up again in full force. At first I wondered if I'd killed it, but there it is - beautiful as ever and actually in even better health. I took a photo of it and thought I'd see if I could find out what type of clematis it is. After perusing the internet, I think I found it. It is called John Paul II, obviously named after the last pope. (read description below) It fits the description to a T. Here is a photo of MY clematis. Does it look the same to you all?


John Paul II

Clematis "John Paul II"
From the Polish Clematis breeder Brother Stefan Francsak, a monk who has produced several outstanding new hybrids. The 4-6" (10-15cm) creamy white blooms with pink trails and reddish stamens are produced in June, July and August.


Mature height 8-14' (2.5-4m). Pruning group B2
Family: Ranunculaceae
Genus: Clematis (KLEM-uh-tiss)
Cultivar: Jan Paul IIAdditional cultivar information: John Paul IIIntroduced by Brother Stefan Franczak, Poland 1980, by Jim Fisk
Group: Late Large-flowered
Height: 10-12 ft. (3-3.6 m)
Spacing: 36-48 in. (90-120 cm)
Hardiness:USDA Zone 4a to Zone 9b
Bloom Color: Pale Pink
Bloom Shape: Single
Bloom Diameter:Large - 4 to 6 inches
Bloom Time: Mid Summer
Sun Exposure: Full Sun
Other details:
Pruning Groups:Group 3 - Summer/Fall bloomers; prune hard in early spring

3 comments:

fotoface said...

VERY NICE
JUST LOVE THE COLOUR COOLING
TO LOOK AT

Leslie: said...

Hi fotoface and welcome to my site. I popped over to yours and took a peek at your photos. Very nice! I will be sure to return and I hope you come back often. :D

someone else said...

That's really beautiful. I cut one of mine down to the nubs last fall, too, thinking it was gone. It came back but hasn't bloomed for a couple seasons now. It's where it doesn't get enough sun, so this next time, I'm going to move it when I cut it down. They're so pretty.