About Me

My photo
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
I took very early retirement from teaching in '06 and did some traveling in Europe and the UK before settling down to do some private tutoring. As a voracious reader, I have many books waiting in line for me to read. Tell me I shouldn't read something, and I will. I'm a happy, optimistic person and I love to travel and through that believe that life can be a continuous learning experience. I'm looking forward to traveling more some day. I enjoy walking, cycling, water aerobics & and sports like tennis, volleyball, and fastpitch/baseball. I'm just getting into photography as a hobby and I'm enjoying learning all the bits and bobs of my digital camera. My family is everything to me and I'm delighted to be the mother of two girls and the Gramma of a boy and a girl. I may be a Gramma, but I'm at heart just a girl who wants to have fun.

Sunday, November 24, 2013

T is for "Happy TOGETHER" by the TURTLES

"Happy Together" is a 1967 song from the Turtles' album of the same name.  The song knocked The Beatles' "Penny Lane" out of the number 1 spot for 3 weeks on the Billboard Hot 100.  It was written by Garry Bonner and Alan Gordon, former members of a band known as The Magicians. The song has been featured in many movies including 1987's "Ernest Goes to Camp," 1990's "The Naked Gun," 1994's "Muriel's Wedding," and 2008's "Twenty-Seven Dresses."  Some artists who have covered the song are Petula Clark, Captain and Tennille, and Donny Osmond, among others.  In 1999, BMI named "Happy Together", with approximately five million performances on American radio, the 44th most-performed song in the USA of the 20th century, placing it in the same league as "Yesterday" by The Beatles and "Mrs. Robinson" by Simon and Garfunkel

As I was trying to think of what to write about for this week, the word "together" came to mind and then, suddenly, there was the song.  Since Lorne and I met in 1969, the song was still very popular and so it seemed fitting that I use it for ABC Wednesday.  The words are true to our lives, past and present.  We have actually been together for over 40 years, albeit for some years only in our memories.  But we are together now and are committed to being together forever. 

Pop over to YouTube on a separate page and listen as you read the uplifting lyrics here. 
Imagine me and you, I do
I think about you day and night
It's only right
To think about the girl you love
And hold her tight
So happy together
If I should call you up
Invest a dime
And you say you belong to me
And ease my mind
Imagine how the world could be
So very fine
So happy together
I can't see me loving nobody but you
For all my life
When you're with me
Baby the skies will be blue
For all my life
Me and you
And you and me
No matter how they tossed the dice
It had to be
The only one for me is you
And you for me
So happy together
Me and you
And you and me
No matter how they tossed the dice
It had to be
The only one for me is you
And you for me
So happy together
So happy together
How is the weather
So happy together
We're happy together
So happy together

I sure hope we'll be happy together for a long time yet.  This is us Christmas 2012.
So be sure to give thanks for the tantalizing Mrs. Nesbitt, the creator of ABC Wednesday, and the tremendous Roger, our administrator.  Also, consider becoming part of the team that visits about 10 contributors to ABCW per week to tell them how talented they are with their tasteful texts.

32 comments:

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Love that song and that's a lovely photo of you both.

Roger Owen Green said...

So very fine!
ROG, ABCW

nancygrayce said...

Oh, I love that post! You two are so sweet together and have overcome so much!

MERYL JAFFE, PhD - parent, psychologist, teacher, author... said...

Great song and sentiment!

Unknown said...

OOh I love that song. Terrific choice for T

PhenoMenon, ABCW

photowannabe said...

Love that song and I think it is perfect for you and Lorne.
Happy together!
Maybe my Hubby and I will have to use that song for our up coming 50th wedding anniversary in January.
Happy Together!

Reader Wil said...

Together is a beautiful word! i wish you a long time together.
Wil, ABCW Team

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

Hi Leslie , not sure I know the song , but wow , 40 years , give or take a few in the middle ,, :-) yep you should be together , xx

Anonymous said...

wow together for 40 years!!!!

very nice picture.

Leovi said...

A beautiful song! I've known her forever!

lotusleaf said...

Beautiful song and a lovely photo!

Carver said...

Great post. Now I'm singing the song. I remember it well. Love the shot of you and Lorne.

ChrisJ said...

What a great photo. You both look so happy. Hope the medical issues are gradually improving. I love that song. The first time I heard it, Claudine Longet, Andy Williams ex-wife, was singing it on one of his TV shows.

Hildred said...

A great song and a great picture, - hope Christmas 2013 finds you just as happy!

Indrani said...

Both of you look good together!
Wish you many more years of happy married life.

Lea said...

I remember that song!
Great photo of you two!
Happy Thanksgiving!
Lea

Hazel said...

And I sure wish you both happiness always. You two look great Together!

Hazel

Joy said...

Its a great sing-along song too or maybe that is because it one of the rare ones I know the words to.

Obsessivemom said...

40 years did you say? That's a wow for sure. Love that song.

Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

I didn't have to look up the song "Happy Together, since the tune immediately came to my mind when you mentioned it. However, I didn't realize it had been covered by several artists. May you and Lorne be blessed with many, many, many more years Together!

Gattina said...

Oh yes, I remember that song, but I didn't know that the group was called "Turtles" !

Anonymous said...

Nice post. Love the song...

magiceye said...

Lovely pic of both of you!

Jane of Levant said...

Hello Leslie - Together is a great choice for the letter T -love the blog and that is a brilliant picture of you and your other half - best wishes to you and your family - Jane UK

Trubes said...

'Terrific and touching', 'you two' being so happy 'together'....
Brings to mind also, Louis Armstrong singing, 'We've got all the 'time' in the world... and Grace Kelly singing,'True love' with Bing Crosby or was it Frank Sinatra ?
Such 'tenacity' to hold together for so long.....Di..xxx

Ann said...

You look so perfect TOGETHER. Beautiful song
Ann

Anonymous said...

That's a great photo of you two. May you be happy together for a long time, Leslie!
In the end that is more important than the circumstances that surround us.

Ni de Aqui, Ni de Alla said...

Nice picture of you two! I've heard that song many times, but didn't know who sang it, now I know. It's a pretty song! Wishing you tow many years more together.

Kay L. Davies said...

Wow, perfect tune, and great photo of you two.
I've always loved that song by The Turtles. It's so upbeat, and has always been able to make me smile.
K

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

there is a school song, the more we are together, together,

bradmaddox said...

The Best Lol n Troll Network with the Name of Lols Gag... Troll Images, Prank Peoples, Funny Peoples, funny planet, funny facts, funny cartoons, funny movies pics, iphone funny, funny jokes, Prank Images, Fail Pictures, Epic Pictures, Lols and Gags, Lol Pictures, Funny Pictures, Lol is the Laugh out of Laugh where you can Fun Unlimited and Laughing Unlimited.
LolsGag.Com

Unknown said...

Want to Make Website or Software...? Any Type of Website and Software and Desktop and Web Based Applications.
Want to Make Now, Just Contact us at Skype
Skype : Jobz.Corner