About Me

My photo
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
I took very early retirement from teaching in '06 and did some traveling in Europe and the UK before settling down to do some private tutoring. As a voracious reader, I have many books waiting in line for me to read. Tell me I shouldn't read something, and I will. I'm a happy, optimistic person and I love to travel and through that believe that life can be a continuous learning experience. I'm looking forward to traveling more some day. I enjoy walking, cycling, water aerobics & and sports like tennis, volleyball, and fastpitch/baseball. I'm just getting into photography as a hobby and I'm enjoying learning all the bits and bobs of my digital camera. My family is everything to me and I'm delighted to be the mother of two girls and the Gramma of a boy and a girl. I may be a Gramma, but I'm at heart just a girl who wants to have fun.

Sunday, November 04, 2007

DEAS ISLAND

It was a gloriously beautiful autumn day here, so when original plans fell through, I decided to pick up my camera and head out to Deas Island. The island (in the mouth of the Fraser River) was named after its first settler, a black freeman and tinsmith, John Sullivan Deas. In 1873, "Billy" Deas claimed the island and built a cannery, wharf, and dykes. For 3 years the cannery produced more cases of salmon than any other on the river. The cannery changed hands, burned down, and was rebuilt several times. Eventually, it ceased production when the sockeye stocks declined drastically after the Fraser River was blocked by the railway slide at Hell's Gate in 1923. Many families fished the river with small gillnetters and made their homes along the shores of Deas Island. Most of the families were of Greek origin and they stayed on the island until the early 1950's.

There are three heritage buildings that give the island a "turn of the century" feel and recall the settlement history of Delta. The Inverholme Schoolhouse was built in 1909 and is one of the last one-room schoolhouses in the area. Burvilla, a Queen Anne style residence, was built in 1905-06 and belonged to the Burr family of Delta. The Delta Agricultural Hall was officially opened in 1899 and was moved to the island from Ladner in 1989, now serving as a park maintenance building with public space for exhibits and special events in front.

There are over 5 km of trails on Deas Island, all of which are flat and easy to walk. The trails pass through cottonwood and alder forest sporting spectacular views of the river. I think I did about 2 km today and was not the least bit tired; rather I felt invigorated. So, as Josie shares the special places in the city, allow me to share with you an area that is a simple 1/2 hour drive south of where she lives.

This is Burvilla, a Queen Anne style of home built in 1905-06.

I began my hike by taking Tinmaker's Walk.

Along the way, I came to a little bridge so I took this photo of the reflections in the water.

Peeking through the trees to the Fraser River.

The colours were spectacular today, especially the bright yellow treetops glistening in the late afternoon sunshine.
Here I was trying to catch a huge fat duck that was floating aimlessly in a small marshy area.

From another angle, I managed to catch this shot.

More colour, this time purple leaves.

A single rower was practising on the river.

Then along came a whole team of rowers. I could hear them barking orders at each other.

Here is the boardwalk, covered in autumn leaves, leading to a lookout tower.

I hope you enjoyed this little tour of a beautiful spot here in the lower mainland area of Vancouver, BC. Of course I took LOTS more photos, but how many pictures of trees do you want to look at? This is just a taste of what you'll see when you come for a visit. I'd be more than happy to act as tour guide.

7 comments:

jmb said...

Lovely pics Leslie. It was a beautiful day today, a great Fall day.

Pear tree cottage! said...

Leslie, O! how I would have loved to had taken that walk with you. I could see us now gently walking across the fallen leaves, our jackets wrapped tightly around us and the noise of the breeze tugging at the tops of the trees, while we talk about our families, our grandchildren and our love of what life has offered us.

Your walk is a beautiful one and if I can not share it with you I am so thankful you were able to show us this lovely spot today.

I always love visiting with you.
Lee-ann

Jo said...

Leslie, these are exquisite photos! I love the second one, of the walk going into the distance.

This reminds me very much of the nature walk on Bowen Island.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Great description and beautiful pics, Leslie. I love the reflections on the water and the purple leaves. More, please!

Sienna said...

I'm pronouncing this Day-as? Island? Maybe though it's De-as...this place is beautiful, I could amble around for hours, the day...well, just come back next week and pick me up eh.

The photos are gorgeous; I totally understand the thousand and one pictures you might end up with:)

My favorite pic is the last one, would love more, I'm a photoholic..

My name is Pam and I have an addiction to photography.

I think you live in one of the most beautiful parts of the world Leslie, Canada is simply amazing.

Pam

Leslie: said...

Sorry, all - I guess I should have included a phonetic spelling of the name.

DEEZ - that's it - simple, huh?

Susan said...

Smashing photos, Leslie! I love that old house. The area is very much like the riverfrontage in parts of Maple Ridge.
Way to go on the workout routine, I comend you on that, something I am very lax with!