About Me

My photo
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
I took very early retirement from teaching in '06 and did some traveling in Europe and the UK before settling down to do some private tutoring. As a voracious reader, I have many books waiting in line for me to read. Tell me I shouldn't read something, and I will. I'm a happy, optimistic person and I love to travel and through that believe that life can be a continuous learning experience. I'm looking forward to traveling more some day. I enjoy walking, cycling, water aerobics & and sports like tennis, volleyball, and fastpitch/baseball. I'm just getting into photography as a hobby and I'm enjoying learning all the bits and bobs of my digital camera. My family is everything to me and I'm delighted to be the mother of two girls and the Gramma of a boy and a girl. I may be a Gramma, but I'm at heart just a girl who wants to have fun.

Saturday, July 01, 2006

WHY WE LOVE CANADA



From Shelley Fralic's column in the Vancouver Sun, Saturday, July 1, 2006, I chose the following as my favourite reasons to love Canada:

1. McIntosh apple. That sweet crunch was brought to you by Ontario's Johnny (Appleseed) McIntosh, in 1796.

2. Paul Anka From Puppy Love to (You're) Having My Baby, the smooth Ottawa-born crooner has done it his way.

3. Bay Street Because Wall Street needs an evil twin.

4. Canadian Bacon Make fun if you will, as long as you serve it crisp.

5. Beer There are just some things we do better.

6. Maple Syrup Without which pancakes would just be a stack of fried flour.

7. Rideau Canal Ice, skates, twinkle lights, hot chocolate. Norman Rockwell lives.

8. Anne of Green Gables A multimillion-dollar industry, but still our pig-tailed P.E.I. scamp.

9. Bushes and Boulders Deserts, glaciers, sea shores, tropical forests, rivers, mountains, lakes, plains. Talk about having it all under one roof.

10. Michael J. Fox Dignity in the face of dbilitation.

11. William Shatner Earth to Captain Kirk: you rock our world.

12. EH. Say it loud. Say it proud.

13. The Rockies Because every country needs a backbone.

14. Steve Nash Here's to the little guy who made it in the basketball bigs.

15. Barenaked Ladies If we had a million dollars, we'd send them a thank-you note just for being sassy.

16. Blue $5, purple $10 No monochromatic greenbacks for us. Our money is funny.

17. Blame Canada Terrorists. Blackouts. Social liberalism. Thanks, South Park. It's fun to be the scapegoat.

18. Beaver Because, as a national symbol, the eagle is just so obvious.

19. Inukshuk Rock's best balancing act, and our ubiquitous answer to Stonehenge.

20. Jim Carrey Must be something in the water, because we breed the funniest comedians. Ever.

So...from Shelley's 139 reasons to love Canada (on our 139th birthday), these are my top 20. Hope you all enjoyed reading them.

If you have any more reasons to love Canada, by all means post them here.

5 comments:

Jo said...

Leslie, how could you forget Bruce Greenwood...! Yum.

Thank you for the card this morning. That was so sweet. I will call you next week, and if the weather lasts we will find a sunny deck somewhere. I think there is a G&T with my name on it somewhere... hah.

Josie

Leslie: said...

Sounds great, Josie! I'm having such a lovely lazy day - fell asleep twice already trying to read on my shady patio. Have fun with the munchins.

Ian Lidster said...

That was fun Leslie, and true. Well, in personal bias, I won't do Paul Anka, but otherwise, good stuff. Please check my latest for my Canadian musings.

Happy Canada Day to you,
Ian

droma said...

21) Canada has some very lovely bloggettes!!!!
Happy Birthday!
Ellen

willemina said...

I hope that all of my Canadian friends had a Happy Canada Day!