About Me

My photo
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
I took very early retirement from teaching in '06 and did some traveling in Europe and the UK before settling down to do some private tutoring. As a voracious reader, I have many books waiting in line for me to read. Tell me I shouldn't read something, and I will. I'm a happy, optimistic person and I love to travel and through that believe that life can be a continuous learning experience. I'm looking forward to traveling more some day. I enjoy walking, cycling, water aerobics & and sports like tennis, volleyball, and fastpitch/baseball. I'm just getting into photography as a hobby and I'm enjoying learning all the bits and bobs of my digital camera. My family is everything to me and I'm delighted to be the mother of two girls and the Gramma of a boy and a girl. I may be a Gramma, but I'm at heart just a girl who wants to have fun.

Sunday, November 16, 2008

Sunshine Coast Adventure - Part 4

As usual, be sure to click on the images to enlarge and see the detail.
On the way back to the main highway after stopping at Skookumchuck Narrows, we passed a birch tree that had a sign tacked to it. Again, it was a "Cathy, stop the car! There's a shot!" moment. The sign read "Moccassin Valley and I hopped out to take a couple of shots. I looked around and noticed it was a beautiful location with thick moss growing on a lot of the tree branches and a little river flowing along through the forest. It was very overgrown, but I did manage to make my way through the fallen leaves and bits of bark and logs to take a few more pictures. A bit further on was a small waterfall and I'm sure it was natural, not man-made. It's amazing to me what you can see when you stop at the side of a road and take a few steps into the woods. Here are a few of the shots I got that day.




































We got back on the highway and decided that we'd follow the signs to one of the next villages along the way. We ended up in a place called Madeira Park. Winding our way through the village, we ended up at the marina. What an incredible place! It was sunny and warm so we wandered around, me taking photos of everything! There's a carved wooden statue there of Portuguese Joe Silvey - a saloon keeper, whaler and pioneer of seine fishing. He was quite the character and many of his descendants still live in the area.

Madeira Park is the main shopping centre for the Pender Harbour region, with banks, a large supermarket, Government liquor store, pharmacy, hardware, and several smaller shops. I found this little tidbit quite amusing - directly across the water, off Beaver Island, is Whiskey Slough, once a favourite anchorage for bachelor fishermen of Scottish extraction! Hmm....should I check it out? lol

After wandering around the marina, we ended up back in the village where we found a great little cafe with home-baked goodies. We each chose a muffin and something to drink and sat in the adjacent area that had art all over the walls. I really loved one particular artist's works and I should have written his name down, but of course now I've forgotten it. Duh! We looked at the art and other crafts, including jewellry but didn't buy anything.

School was just getting out when we left Madeira Park and back on the highway, we thought we'd check out Halfmoon Bay. With my navigating, we found the sign that led off the highway to this residential area and drove along Redroofs Road. This is a beautiful community where gentle bays and coves provide protected harbours for marine traffic and pristine wooded shores encourage people to explore. We ended up finally at Smuggler's Cove and I'll tell you about it next time in Part 5. I'll leave you today with images of Madeira Park's marina.




































8 comments:

Michele said...

That Moccassin Valley is beautiful not to mention what an awesome name!!
Your photography is very pretty!
What an amazing place.
~Michele~

RiverPoet said...

Just gorgeous photos, Leslie! Thanks for sharing them with us.

Peace - D

Jo said...

When I look at those pictures, I want to jump in and go for a swim. I can actually feel the water. It would be a bit chilly now, but in the summer it would be wonderful.

Gorgeous photos!

Saz said...

wow, l feel l've been on a lovely journey/adventure this evening...thanks..
and yes you are right about Moannie...it slips through the cracks now and again..and of course talking about nana and harry sort of blew it probably..

:)

Maggie May said...

What brilliant photos and what great names you have over there for the various places that you visited.
The pictures are so inviting and just seem to draw me in to the woods to look closer.
Same with the water...... you caught the clear chill of it.

Leslie: said...

Michele, thank you so much - that's so nice coming from you, a fantastic photographer!

Riverpoet - thanks, I'm glad you like them.

Jo -yes, I'd love to go back in the summertime.

FFF - glad you enjoyed the virtual trip. I'm glad I asked about your Mom, because it helps me to put people together better.

MM - thanks for the great compliment. I'm really enjoying getting into photography.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

My wife likes to invest an apartment or a living that we can start as family, and she likes that near to a coast did someone can tell me where is it?? Do you know some place like property sunshine coast