About Me

My photo
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
I took very early retirement from teaching in '06 and did some traveling in Europe and the UK before settling down to do some private tutoring. As a voracious reader, I have many books waiting in line for me to read. Tell me I shouldn't read something, and I will. I'm a happy, optimistic person and I love to travel and through that believe that life can be a continuous learning experience. I'm looking forward to traveling more some day. I enjoy walking, cycling, water aerobics & and sports like tennis, volleyball, and fastpitch/baseball. I'm just getting into photography as a hobby and I'm enjoying learning all the bits and bobs of my digital camera. My family is everything to me and I'm delighted to be the mother of two girls and the Gramma of a boy and a girl. I may be a Gramma, but I'm at heart just a girl who wants to have fun.

Saturday, August 01, 2009

First of August


August rushes by like desert rainfall,

A flood of frenzied upheaval,

Expected,

But still catching me unprepared.

Like a match flame

Bursting on the scene,

Heat and haze of crimson sunsets.

Like a dream

Of moon and dark barely recalled,

A moment,

Shadows caught in a blink.

Like a quick kiss;

One wishes for more

But it suddenly turns to leave,

Dragging summer away.


Elizabeth Maua Taylor, August


And now it is the month of August. In some ways I never thought we'd get here and in other ways, it feels so sudden.

The last week of July was very difficult. We've been suffering a record-breaking heat wave all the while my poor Lorne has been not only working his regular job, but also moving his belongings into storage and here. I've helped, but when the sweat started pouring out my eyes and I could no longer see straight, and my back said "No more!" I had to stop.

But this morning, I awoke to a new life. The breeze wafted over my exhausted and aching body giving me such relief. And although I was alone because Lorne had already left for work, I felt that everything is right with my world. The two of us have experienced all four seasons together again and are looking forward to the rest of our lives together.

Last night I said, "Are you happy?"

"Uh huh."

"No regrets?"

"None."

And I slept like a baby.

But as the above poem says, life moves on at too rapid a pace. I'm going away for a few days with some girlfriends next week. And the last two weeks of August is our Pacific National Exhibition where Lorne will work every evening (after his regular job) for the 49th year of his life. He wants to make 50 years there and then will stop. Then it will suddenly be September and school will start and I'll begin tutoring again.

I will savour every moment that we plan our nuptials for next September.

11 comments:

aims said...

Keep that one close girl - the others - pour a line of sand down and doubledare them to cross. (I seam to be instilling fear right now - which is good - believe me.)

Not as hot here in Alberta as it is over there. Just one day would be good - - - -

Gerald (Ackworth born) said...

Cold wet and rainy here - just can't beleive how the last four months have flown

sally in norfolk said...

must be wonderful to feel so secure and happy with life x :-)

Maggie May said...

Cool and wet in my neck of the woods. Most unusual for August.

Time does go by so quickly. Like the blink of an eye.

mrsnesbitt said...

Listening to the song again........still brings tears to my eyes! Nick Cave..xxxxx

mrsnesbitt said...

I don't believe in an interventionist God
But I know, darling, that you do
But if I did I would kneel down and ask Him
Not to intervene when it came to you
Not to touch a hair on your head
To leave you as you are
And if He felt He had to direct you
Then direct you into my arms

Into my arms, O Lord
Into my arms, O Lord
Into my arms, O Lord
Into my arms

And I don't believe in the existence of angels
But looking at you I wonder if that's true
But if I did I would summon them together
And ask them to watch over you
To each burn a candle for you
To make bright and clear your path
And to walk, like Christ, in grace and love
And guide you into my arms

Into my arms, O Lord
Into my arms, O Lord
Into my arms, O Lord
Into my arms

And I believe in Love
And I know that you do too
And I believe in some kind of path
That we can walk down, me and you
So keep your candlew burning
And make her journey bright and pure
That she will keep returning
Always and evermore

Into my arms, O Lord
Into my arms, O Lord
Into my arms, O Lord
Into my arms

antigoni said...

You deserve all the happiness of the world. I wish all your dreams come true. You are a very good person and a lovely woman.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

That's a lovely picture and poem. It will all be worth it, Leslie!

Leslie: said...

Thx Pat! The picture is one I took from the patio looking through the fuschias & cosmos over toward the weeping birch where we usually sit out in the evening to stay cool.

Pear tree cottage! said...

Leslie, I sit here with s many jumpers on that I can find - fire wood running out and PLEASE! Roll on spring!!

I know in a couple of months as we head towards out hot summer I will wish to be back sitting right here!!

Keep cool my friend it is so "way too hot!" by the sounds of it.....the garden does look lovely though the flowers look happy!

Lee-ann

Rune Eide said...

The last couple of weeks have been a bit up and down around here. However, we did see 30+ C for some days in the beginning of July - when we had our holidays. Now we could use some of your hear :-)

PS Thank you for the comment - I was standing on a quay a couple of hundred meters away with a fairly powerful telescopic lens.