About Me

My photo
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
I took very early retirement from teaching in '06 and did some traveling in Europe and the UK before settling down to do some private tutoring. As a voracious reader, I have many books waiting in line for me to read. Tell me I shouldn't read something, and I will. I'm a happy, optimistic person and I love to travel and through that believe that life can be a continuous learning experience. I'm looking forward to traveling more some day. I enjoy walking, cycling, water aerobics & and sports like tennis, volleyball, and fastpitch/baseball. I'm just getting into photography as a hobby and I'm enjoying learning all the bits and bobs of my digital camera. My family is everything to me and I'm delighted to be the mother of two girls and the Gramma of a boy and a girl. I may be a Gramma, but I'm at heart just a girl who wants to have fun.

Monday, June 05, 2017

V is for VIEWS

Welcome to ABC Wednesday where this week we celebrate the letter V as in victory, vehement, velocity, vacuum, vehicle, vote, vixen, and vocabulary!

This week, I thought I'd bring you a few views from my trip to England last year.  I know that every country has its own spectacular vistas, especially my country of Canada.  However, there is something about England that just draws me there.  Maybe it's my ancestry and the fact that the first time I stepped on British soil in 1997, I had a strong sense that I was "home." 

I didn't put any words on the photos because it took away from the actual view.  Instead, I'll just give you a little run-down of what you will see.

There are photos of a grand palace, Blenheim Palace (in Oxfordshire) and Winston Churchill's  palatial home (in Kent) with a view looking out and down the hill from the upper balcony there.

There is a "stylized" photo overlooking Albert Dock (in Liverpool), a shot of the grand entrance to the Beatles Museum, and a couple of shots looking UP at Liverpool's Eye, from which I took the photo of Albert Dock.  Also, there is a shot of the new statues of the Beatles in front of the Mersey Ferry Dock.

There are shots looking up at British chimneys, Chimney Banks in North Yorkshire, and up at the colossal cliff in Staithes, North Yorkshire, where you can see the seagulls flying overhead.

There are views of ancient bridges, churches, abbeys, and castles and their ruins.  See out over the rooftops of the ancient city of Richmond, homes nestled in the surrounding hills, and towers rising high above the forests. 

High on the hill where you'll find Whitby Abbey, you can see for miles over the town and the beach off the North Sea. 

See sheep roaming the moors and dales, and a view of York Minster through the trees, as well as a view of countryside and river as I sped by on the train.

Here is an illustration comparing the size of the entirety of the United Kingdom compared to the size of my province of British Columbia.  I have seen about half of BC and quite a bit of the rest of Canada except for Nova Scotia and Newfoundland/Labrador.  It truly is a vast and spectacular country, but maybe I have the "grass is greener" mentality - even though I feel so "at home" in England, Scotland, and Wales.  For W week, I will show you some wonderful views of that part of Great Britain!
Turn up your sound, make it full-screen, and enjoy!
Click to play this Smilebox slideshow





10 comments:

MelodyK said...

Indeed gorgeous Leslie... and also to me it looks typical English...
wonderful music behind it also, it sounds familiar, but I can't remember what it is

Have a voicefilled ABC-day / -week
♫ M e l ☺ d y (team ABC-W)
preview round 21 starting july 12th

Roger Owen Green said...

I like the superimposed map!

ROG, ABCW

Photo Cache said...

Thank you for the momentary vacation feeling I had while viewing this.

My ABC WEDNESDAY

Hildred said...

Loved that - thank you Leslie. Such a beautiful country, - romantic in its history and antiquity. Each time I have been to England it has been to a Squadron Reunion, and to research into genealogy, so I have not had the opportunity to see as much as you have seen, Leslie, and I do enjoy the pictures you post for our enjoyment and interest.

ellen b said...

Love Great Britain. Enjoyed your tour. I want to go back! Have a lovely week Leslie!

carol l mckenna said...

Thanks for the wonderful visual memories of England ~ great! ^_^

Anonymous said...

i wish i could go

Joy said...

A most enjoyable trip around the country with your wonderful photos. Its blowing a hoolie here at the moment so you'd have to bend into the wind with your camera.

prince said...

Play bazaar Defend your most significant resource - your home. Losing your house is thought of as normal in liquidation cases,

Unknown said...

AAPKI NEWS
In case you're going to more than one goals in a solitary outing, there might be nothing more terrible than having your baggage pursuing you around simultaneously as you go without smooth clothing.