About Me

My photo
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
I took very early retirement from teaching in '06 and did some traveling in Europe and the UK before settling down to do some private tutoring. As a voracious reader, I have many books waiting in line for me to read. Tell me I shouldn't read something, and I will. I'm a happy, optimistic person and I love to travel and through that believe that life can be a continuous learning experience. I'm looking forward to traveling more some day. I enjoy walking, cycling, water aerobics & and sports like tennis, volleyball, and fastpitch/baseball. I'm just getting into photography as a hobby and I'm enjoying learning all the bits and bobs of my digital camera. My family is everything to me and I'm delighted to be the mother of two girls and the Gramma of a boy and a girl. I may be a Gramma, but I'm at heart just a girl who wants to have fun.

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

AND THE WINNER IS....



CONGRATULATIONS TO SYLVIA, THE FIRST AND ONLY PERSON TO GET ALL 15 QUESTIONS CORRECT!!!

Here are the questions with their answers. How many did you know?


1. What do we call round or oval candies filled with fruit preserves or cream and covered with chocolate? Sugar Plums

2. What country is credited with creating eggnog? USA

3. Of the 365 days in a year, what number is Christmas Day? 359

4. What holiday symbol is placed on MacDonald's bags during the Christmas season? Trees

5. What does Alvin want for Christmas? A hula hoop

6. Who first recorded "Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer?" Gene Autry

7. In what town did "It's a Wonderful Life" take place? Bedford Falls
8. In "A Charlie Brown Christmas," what does Lucy want for Christmas? Real estate

9. In what decade did flashing Christmas lights debut? 1930's

10. Which carol demands "figgy pudding"? We Wish You a Merry Christmas

11. The citizens of which Florida town maintain a fully decorated tree year round? Christmas

12. What two reindeer are mentioned in the song "Here Comes Santa Claus"? Vixen & Blitzen

13. How big is the voice in "do you hear what I hear?" as big as the sea

14. In the song "Jingle Bells," who was seated by my side? Miss Fanny Bright

15. What is the largest selling Christmas single of all times? White Christmas


Thanks to everyone who gave it a try and "Bah, Humbug" to the rest of you - just kidding! ;-D
Only 10 days until the big day so Merry Christmas to everyone and to all a "good night."

22 comments:

jmb said...

Leslie I'm too embarrassed to enter this contest as a quick look makes me feel very ignorant about Christmas. Either I'd have to cheat and use Mr Google or abstain. I look forward to the answers.

Leslie: said...

Aw, give it a go, jmb! These are just some of the questions we had to answer at our church's annual Christmas banquet. I certainly didn't know all the answers, but I thought they were good questions! :D

Jo said...

I think I know two answers, just off the top of my head.

7. Bedford Falls. And it turns into Pottersville.

10. We Wish You A Merry Christmas.

13. A voice as big as the sea.

Hey, maybe I know more than I thought. I’ll go through the list again and e-mail you my answers.

What do we win? :-)

Leslie: said...

Waddya tink, Josie? Should there be a REAL prize?

Jo said...

Of COURSE there should be a real prize. I gave away one of my ugly old, oops, I mean beautiful candles, didn't I? And who can forget the Made in China waterbottles I (unloaded) awarded?

Don't you have something tacky you need to get rid of? :-)

MedStudentWife said...

Crap - I think I'm in the same shoes as jmb & josie... I know some ofthe answers and couldn't even beging to answer others.

How about best 3 out of 10 :0 ?

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

Thanks for the invite to take part in the quiz but a quick glance tells me that I will score zero on this one.

I'll try one; Christmas is the 355th day?

beachgirl said...

I'm a snapdragon, full of mischief.

I know a few of the answers. Christmas, FL has the Christmas tree. I've driven thru it.

We wish you a Merry Christmas

A voice as big as a sea.

Fun game. Who knows all this stuff?

beachgirl said...

OK, I'll add 3 more Leslie just for fun.

1- Russell Stovers ;-}
3- 358
4- wreath

have an awesome night.
My Christmas shopping is officially done.

Leslie: said...

Hey, you guys! Don't give away the answers HERE! Email me your answers and I'll see who gets the most right.

Hmmm...what could the prize be??? Got it! A pair of lovely vanilla scented candles. I'll add the photo to the post.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

See? Showing my ignorance. I know my answer is wrong. It wuld be correct for somebody's birthday that I know but not for jesus's birthday. Let's just say it is off by 4.

Claire said...

This is quite hard. Like everyone else I know some. They are good questions.

Nancy said...

I'm afraid this is out of my league. I could spend all day researching on the internet because I knew the answer to only a few! This is a very creative and clever idea. Thanks for sharing and letting me know. I always appreciate it when you stop by.

P.S. You and Josie are just too funny.

heiresschild said...

LOL ha ha ha ha ha come on now people, give it a try! you can't tell the teacher no. LOL

Middle Ditch said...

Question one: Yum Yum
Question two: England
Question three: 358
Question four: A burger
Question five: Loads of sex
Question six: Someone who had nothing else to do
Question seven: Not here
Question eight: Definitely not snoopy
Question nine: The eighties
Question ten: Silent night
Question eleven: Stumped
Question twelve: Rudolph and one other one
Question thirteen: Huge
Question fourteen: Mother hen
Question fifteen: White Christmas

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

I know I'm late but I didn't peek at the answers till I'd tried to answer the questions - honest! Didn't know there was a town called "Christmas" and your great quiz has brou8ght back a lot of Christmas memories for me.

Jo said...

Hey...! Sylvia is getting herself quite a collection of prizes! She also won the la China water bottle. Heh.

Congratulations, Sylvia!

Sienna said...

I've been away! I plead absenteeism. (However a lot of the answers I didn't know).

I love the elfing, it's a lot of fun.

Looks like xmas day will be about the 30c, fine and sunny here (so far).

This year has flown so quickly, it's just incredible.

Pam

heiresschild said...

thank you for the congrats Leslie & Josie. i'm excited about winning.

beachgirl said...

Congratulations Sylvia on winning.

I am baking Christmas yummies today, with my daughter.

This week I get to wrap all the presents and start putting them under the tree. I have been putting it off due to pet activity in the house. The visiting dog has his owner returning early. Cute doggie, but 3 dogs running around is a lot of dogs.

What did Sylvia win? I hope it was something fun and exciting.

beachgirl said...

Leslie it just dropped 20 degrees out.

BRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!

did you just send that wind my way?

Nancy said...

Great Job Leslie- I am glad that you gave the answers! This was so much fun. I love your elf character- it is just so festive!