About Me

My photo
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
I took very early retirement from teaching in '06 and did some traveling in Europe and the UK before settling down to do some private tutoring. As a voracious reader, I have many books waiting in line for me to read. Tell me I shouldn't read something, and I will. I'm a happy, optimistic person and I love to travel and through that believe that life can be a continuous learning experience. I'm looking forward to traveling more some day. I enjoy walking, cycling, water aerobics & and sports like tennis, volleyball, and fastpitch/baseball. I'm just getting into photography as a hobby and I'm enjoying learning all the bits and bobs of my digital camera. My family is everything to me and I'm delighted to be the mother of two girls and the Gramma of a boy and a girl. I may be a Gramma, but I'm at heart just a girl who wants to have fun.

Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Update on Jaclyn's Condition

Update as of Thurs Dec.27: Jaclyn will be transferred by ambulance tomorrow morning from our local hospital to VGH for emergency surgery as soon as they get her in and prepped. I'll be there at the hospital as long as is necessary and will report news as soon as I can here.

I am overwhelmed by the love, care, and prayers being sent our way by all of you out there in cyberland! So I felt I should update you on Jaclyn's condition as of this morning.

She's now on oxygen because the tumor is pressing so high up in her abdominal area that she can't breathe deeply. She's on IV fluids, continuing pain control, and clear liquids until the local hospital can get her into VGH to prepare her for surgery. They'll be contacting them tomorrow when their schedules are up and running again. If Jaclyn were near death, of course, she'd be over there in a flash for emergency surgery, but she's stable for now so they'll wait.

I sat with her for about an hour this morning, but she'd just had a dose of morphine and was a bit delirious. When I went to leave so she could sleep, she asked me to stay a bit longer so I did. I just held her hand and let her talk when she had something to say. I reassured her that when the surgery was over, she'll feel so much better.

Our pastor was going to go and visit to pray for her, but he has a cold so felt it better that he not go. But he prayed with me on the phone this morning and will be sending out the latest news to the congregation so they will continue to pray for her, too.

I cannot thank you all enough for your support right now. This is the worst thing to happen since my husband died. You all understand my terror about what they might find and if it's all benign I will be so relieved! (What an understatement!) Last night as I was trying to get to sleep, I started thinking the unimaginable and had to get up and take a tranquilizer. My body hurts all over from the stress and worry but I will manage with all your love and support. Just pray for my daughter, that's all I ask. Thanks.

22 comments:

Casdok said...

Wish there was more that we could do.
Glad to hear that she is stable for now. Hope she can have the surgery very soon.
Hugs and prayers for you all.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

You have all my love and support, Leslie. I so wish I were nearer! Love from Sicily xxxx

Leslie: said...

Thanks, casdok and WL, I just got home from visiting her again today and she doesn't look at all well. She was sitting up with absolutely no colour in her face, holding the puke bowl. The nurse came in as I was there to give her more pain meds and gravol. It didn't take long and J was able to lie down and relax a bit. I stayed about 45 minutes but told her she had to try to rest and if I stayed, she'd try to stay awake for my sake. So I promised I'd go back again tonight around 7 or 7:30. The tumor has also increased in size in one week by 3 cm. It's sucking the life out of her!

Ruth W. said...

They need to get it out of her asap, I don't understand why they let her suffer like that for days when it should have been removed a week ago.

I will be saying many prayers tonight for her.

heiresschild said...

thank you Leslie for keeping us updated. i thought when you said your daughter was on oxygen that the tumor must have increased in size. maybe they might do the surgery tomorrow; hopefully so. my continued prayers and love.

Jo said...

Leslie, please let me know if there is anything at all I can do for you. I am heartsick that you are going through this. They need to get that thing out of her. Enough already. That poor girl...! And poor you...! You have had enough on your plate.

Leslie: said...

First thing tomorrow the doctor at our local hospital will contact the BCCA and the doctors we saw last Friday. They'll transport J via ambulance to VGH as soon as they can make arrangements.

jmb said...

Leslie, I have been busy and haven't noticed your updates on my bloglines feed. I was just at Welshcakes and saw your note.
I'm so sorry about this sudden development but at least she is getting her surgery earlier. It's awful to have this happen now because everything does shut down over Christmas unless an absolute emergency.
I am praying for you both and hoping for a benign outcome.
Take care of yourself.

Janice Thomson said...

Hoping all turns out well for Jaclyn Leslie. You are both in my thoughts and prayers.

Nancy said...

I am praying for both of you and that God will give you the strength you need to face this. May you find comfort in the fact that their are many of us out here- praying for you and Jaclyn, because we care. Hang in there.
(((((Leslie)))))

Smalltown RN said...

Leslie...my heart goes out to you and your daughter, I am next to tears thinking about what you are going through....of course my prayers are with you all....god bless.....

Leslie: said...

Well, I'm just shaking right now because when I went in at 10:00 am the doctor still hadn't called over to the BCCA. So I went to the gym and came back around 11:00 am. J said Dr. had been in to see her and said something about controlling the pain orally and sending her home! WHAT????? So I came home and phoned over to BCCA myself and after a few transfers finally reached the office of the doctor we'd seen last Friday.

Well, the Dr at our hospital HAD called and left a msg for the doctor on call who is in surgery right now. But I managed to emphasize my worry about J and also told

Phone call from Jaclyn just now - Dr at emerg spoke to Dr at BCCA and J is now on what they call "bedline" - as soon as a bed comes available, she will be transferred for immediate surgery. PLUS they have now said she has another cyst on the other ovary. Oh my God! Pray she doesn't lose everything! But if she has to, that it isn't cancer!!! I'm losing it now...gotta go...

Belizegial said...

Leslie, I am so sorry to hear this.
Please take care of yourself as you need to be there for Jaclyn. Of course, I am praying for both of you. May the Lord that looks over all the universe pay special attention to the needs of Jaclyn at this time and keep her safe through this trauma. Amen

geewits said...

Hey Leslie,
I haven't been over here in a while but Josie told me about your daughter. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I hope everything goes well and Jaclyn makes a speedy recovery.

Smalltown RN said...

Leslie....I am thinking of you and your daughter.....and my prayers continue to be sent your way....

Mel Avila Alarilla said...

Hi Leslie,
Got your name and the condition of your daughter from Heiresschild so I decided to have a peek at your blog. Yes, I will be praying hard for your daughter. Count me in on those who will constantly pray for the speedy recovery and eventual healing of Jaclyn. God is good and He will grant the answer to our collective prayers. Here's a powerful verse that help me a lot during the 3 months I was unable to walk because of severe scoliosis of the spinal column. Praise the Lord, I can walk normally now. Here's the verse: "But I will restore you to health and will heal your wounds, declares the Lord." (Jeremiah 30:17) Regarding your stress brought about by your present trials, here's another verse for you: "Cast your cares on the Lord and He will sustain you, He will never let the righteous fall." (Psalm 55:22). All things are possible with God. Entrust your child's health to Him and He will give you rest for your soul. God bless you and your family with His healing grace and the realization of all the secret desires of your heart. Happy New Year and have a peaceful and wonderful day.

Jo said...

Leslie called me this evening to say that Jaclyn has had her surgery, and the tumor has been removed. At first glance it looks benign, but of course it will have to be biopsied. The surgery took about an hour. She will let everyone know the results, but she asked me to update you all.

Josie

Sienna said...

Ah, that's good Josie, so glad to hear the surgery is done.

Sending lotsaluv and prayers, strength and hugs for you Leslie and Jaclyn.

Jaclyn's body said; "hey, if ya think I'm gunna wait another week!!" it's so good to know the surgery is sure done.

Hope you finally get some peace and rest too Leslie; been an agonising week.

xox

Pam

Pear tree cottage! said...

Dear Leslie, I can feel your panic but please try to stay with this I just know Jaclyn will be ok! she has so much to do yet on this earth and there are many I am sure watching over her.

Her picture touches my heart her smile is so special, I just feel the road will be hard to follow but the end will be nothing but good news.

My prayers are with you dear friend and with your family.

Lee-ann

Pear tree cottage! said...

nJosie,
Thank you for the update I am pleased she is now in recovery.

Leslie you have my support.
Lee-ann

Nancy said...

Thanks for the update Josie. I have been checking back hoping for some news. My prayers will continue for Jaclyn and Leslie.

beachgirl said...

Thank you Josie.
Please let her know we are keeping her in our prayers.