Well, it was a new experience to walk into the BC Cancer Clinic yesterday. Jaclyn and I were both very nervous but we each kept up the front for each other. Everyone there was extremely kind yet not patronizing and treated both of us with the utmost respect.
Since Vancouver General Hospital is a teaching hospital, we first had a 3rd year med student take Jaclyn's medical history and even my gynaecological history. Then the resident (a lovely young woman) came in with more questions and she performed the physical exam on Jaclyn. I was so proud of my daughter because she did so well under the circumstances - it must have been so uncomfortable. The resident said that the mass is around the size of a newborn baby and has moved up into the abdomen area. I guess that's why her abdomen is so extended. We both had noticed her weight gain but put it down to the new drugs she's on for her bipolar. Finally, the "big guy" came in with the other two and we discussed treatment.
First, they will definitely remove the growth but because of its size she will need an incision rather than a laparoscopy. If necessary, they will have to remove her ovary and the fallopian tube, but if they can salvage any of the ovary, they will. Finally, if they can see it's cancerous when they go in they will have to do a complete hysterectomy by removing the uterus, both ovaries, both fallopian tubes and all the lymph nodes in the area. If they have to resort to that, we will face the next steps at that time. Jaclyn has given them written permission to do whatever is necessary when they open her up.
After this week of thinking about it, my daughter has decided to prepare for the worst and anything better than that will be a massive relief. She will let her support group (family, friends, church, and all you guys out there in cyberland) do the praying and hoping for the best. But she feels that if she's not prepared psychologically then the bottom will drop out of her if it's not good. She seems to be trying to have a sense of humour about the whole thing and has named the growth "Hilda" (an inside joke).
I'm coping as well as can be expected. I'm suffering from dizziness, nausea, and lethargy. And I have this shaky feeling throughout my body. I know I have to be strong for my daughter and I will be there for her through the whole horrid experience but I am grateful for my own family and friends who are there for me, too. I'm trying hard to think only of the most positive result because the alternate is just too much for me to handle right now.
The surgery is going to be within 3 weeks. Because of the holidays, I'm thinking the week of Jan. 7-11. The hospital will be calling soon with the date and we have been assured she won't be bumped. So please continue to pray for a positive outcome for Jaclyn. We'd both really appreciate all your prayers or good vibes from whatever belief system you have. Thanks.