About Me

My photo
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
I took very early retirement from teaching in '06 and did some traveling in Europe and the UK before settling down to do some private tutoring. As a voracious reader, I have many books waiting in line for me to read. Tell me I shouldn't read something, and I will. I'm a happy, optimistic person and I love to travel and through that believe that life can be a continuous learning experience. I'm looking forward to traveling more some day. I enjoy walking, cycling, water aerobics & and sports like tennis, volleyball, and fastpitch/baseball. I'm just getting into photography as a hobby and I'm enjoying learning all the bits and bobs of my digital camera. My family is everything to me and I'm delighted to be the mother of two girls and the Gramma of a boy and a girl. I may be a Gramma, but I'm at heart just a girl who wants to have fun.

Saturday, December 29, 2007

Ding Dong the Witch is Dead!

Praise the Lord! Jaclyn’s surgery is over and the surgeons have reassured us that everything looks good.

However, the tumour has to be sliced, diced, and gone over with a fine toothcomb before the final results are in. (This will happen in the basement of the building where our good friend Josie works.)

They are looking for cancer cells or any cells that appear abnormal, and won’t have the results until probably the week of the 7th of January.

In the meantime, after several days at VGH, Jaclyn will come home with me for about a week until she’s fully able to care for herself, but she won’t be able to return to work for 6 to 8 weeks.

We joke (now) about Jaclyn having given birth to a 10+ pound turkey for Christmas, but in all seriousness, that tumour ended up being a lot bigger than previously expected. It must have turned around on itself because the length was 40 centimetres (for all you who do not use metric, that is around 16 inches long!) and it was around 20 cm wide and 18 cm in thickness. Think about it as being a full-term baby – but an alien one! ;D

Naturally, Jaclyn is in a lot of pain still, but today I reassured her that this pain is good because it’s a healing pain. She still has one ovary and her uterus so there is still a chance she could have a baby some day, which is something she wants, even though she was willing to lose everything in order to live.

I’d like to thank everyone for your prayers and notes of kindness with regard to this terrible ordeal we’ve gone through. Although it’s not over quite yet, we are so relieved that Jaclyn’s pain from the tumour is gone and that she has survived this nightmare.

I am so proud of my daughter for bearing all this with dignity. She stayed focused so she wouldn't break down and was/is willing to face anything that might come. We nicknamed the tumour "Hilda" after her witch of a late grandmother (not my Mom and that's another story I might tell another time) and we are all so grateful that the thing is dead! So sing with me everyone!

Ding-dong the witch is dead
Which old witch? The wicked witch
Ding-dong the wicked witch is dead
Wake up you sleepyhead
Rub your eyes, get out of bed
Wake up the wicked witch is dead
She's gone where the goblins go
Below - below - below
Yo-ho, let's open up and sing and ring the bells out
Ding Dong' the merry-oh, sing it high, sing it low
Let them know the Wicked Witch is dead!

28 comments:

heiresschild said...

hi Leslie, thanks so much for keeping us updated. i'm soooo glad Jaclyn had the surgery and the tumor removed, and of course, we'll keep praying and believing that the tumor is benign. that was a big tumor. do the drs know what even caused it, or will they find that out in the next few days? i'm just glad the surgery's done, and i'm glad you're available to take care of her. we're still mothers at whatever age they are, aren't we? smile! take care, and get some rest. hugs!

Leslie: said...

Hi Sylvia, I think it's just a fluke when a cyst grows like that but they may be able to tell us more later. And yes, they're still our babies no matter what age they are. My life will become "Mom" again for at least a week when she can leave the hospital. She'll know when it's time for her to go back to her own place. hugs back!

jmb said...

Hi Leslie,
I am so glad that the surgery is over for this at least means that she will be rid of the pain soon. You wonder how a tumour that size did not cause symptoms prior to this.

I will be praying that the tumour turns out to be benign and that she will be feeling better soon. Thank goodness that she has her uterus and one ovary, but as you say, the thing is to do what's best for getting rid of the tumour.
Will be thinking of you both

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

wonderful news! Certainly things are looking good but we will keep praying for good lab results on the tumor.

Ruth L.~ said...

I've been awol from blogs for a few days, but how wonderful to come back to find such good news. Big, big, sigh of relief. Results will be fine. They wouldn't give you a reason to hope if they didn't believe that. Yes!!!

Leslie: said...

Yes, it is a huge relief, but we do still need to wait for those lab results. Every square mm of that "thing" will be tested for any abnormality. So do continue to pray for it to be totally benign. Thanks!

Janice Thomson said...

You're almost there Leslie! Thank goodness that horrid tumor is gone and we'll all keep our fingers crossed that's the end of it. Take care and get some well deserved rest now.

Ruth W. said...

what a wonderful relief. Josie and I were so worried, we kept E-mailing each other if she heard anything yet.

Sleep well now my friend, it was a horrible week for you, but thank God it is over.

Casdok said...

Great news in deed. So glad to hear everything looks good. Fingers crossed for the results.

geewits said...

How awful to have such a big terrible thing inside your body. My heart breaks for your daughter. I'm so glad it's out. I'm glad you are there for her.

Sienna said...

Me too! What everyone has already expressed; much better news and now just get official confirmation.

May Jaclyn get her rest and recover and heal and may Mum be able to get some much earned rest and peace of mind.

Big hugs and oh boy! Leslie...the song is funny! Good on you for keeping your sense of humor when things were pretty tough on you and your family.

Good that the tests are being very thorough too.

Have a good rest mate.

xox

Pam

beachgirl said...

I am so glad that all is going well and your daughter is on the road to recovery. Our prayers have been answered.

Our thoughts and prayers are still with your family.

Liz Hinds said...

That is good news. I've just caught up with the trauma you've gone through: God bless all of you. I join my prayers with yours that the tumour will prove to be benign. I feel confident that it will be!

Trubes said...

Leslie:Thank goodness Jaclyn has had her surgery and I do pray that all is well afterwards, Thinking of you and your darling daughter.
God bless you both,
Stay strong,
Di.xx

Leslie: said...

Thanks so much, everyone! You have no idea how much it boosts my spirit to have so many praying for her.

Nancy said...

I am delighted that maybe the worst is over. Prayer is powerful and your blogging friends have been faithful. I will continue my prayers as you face the coming days. Blessings!

Ruth W. said...

The power of prayer is awesome Leslie, I am so glad we could do this for you and Jaclyn.

Anonymous said...

Leslie: I'm so sorry about Jaclyn and the very alarming news on Christmas Day. I know that you love your two girls like I love mine and if anything like this ever happened to them - I'd surely be a basket case. My prayers are with you and your family and we'll talk about my visiting when all these health issues are calm down and we know that Jaclyn is OK. I can't believe the size of the tumor. This poor girl has been through enough so I and everyone else will pray for her and hope she recovers just fine.

Much love to you and your family.

Hugs Suzanne

Mel Avila Alarilla said...

Hi Leslie,
Praise the Lord that you and your daughter have survived your worst ordeal in life. We claim her eventual and complete healing in the name of Jesus. God is so good, He will never let us down in the darkest moments of our lives. Not that we are worthy of such goodness and grace but because of His unfailing love for us. May we always look up to Him in every circumstances of our lives and acknowledge His supreme sovereignty over our lives. Praise the Lord for all the wonderful things He has done to your lives. God bless.

MedStudentWife said...

Such good news !! :) I pray that it will keep getting better.

Smalltown RN said...

Leslie...this is the best news ever....I can't tell you how happy and I and releaved for you both....I think there is something to be said for prayer....I wish her a speedy recovery and I will continue to pray that the biopsies are negative.......take care my friend

Pear tree cottage! said...

Leslie, Please give Jaclyn a Huge hug from us here in Austrlia we have been thinking about her every minute of the day until we heard the op was over.

Now I can tell you a very simplar thing happened to me but they took everthing but life is well worth living and knowing the doctor has said I think all will be ok as they did with me before the tests on "the bits" They now test it all as a matter of rouline so I am sure the results will be further good new.

Now a huge hug to Jclyn's mother from Australia and a friend.

Lee-ann

Leslie: said...

Thanks again, everyone! At church today, I shared the details since everyone of course knew the basics. I also shared with everyone how much support and prayer we have received from friends from all over the world.

In particular, I shared Mel Avila Alarilla's message of support and the Bible verses he gave me to help me through. It's amazing how strong the Christian community is and because of the internet, how global it has become.

Each one of you who has prayed for Jaclyn (and me) and have sent messages of support are truly friends. I don't think I could have been able to go through all this and stay strong for Jaclyn without you all. Thanks, Merci, Grazie, Gracias, and those are all the languages I know, but a HUGE hug to each one of you.

Next post will be about the wonderful health care in Canada.

BBC said...

Hi hon, first visit to your blog. Thanks for the comment on mine so that I could jump over here and meet you.

I'll take another look at this post when I'm more refreshed.

But I guess I don't worry about living, or dying, being as I'm omnipresent, as I think you are also are.

I'll be back to see you next year, as you know, I'm going out of town for a few days. Have a peaceful new years eve and day. Hugs.

heiresschild said...

hi Leslie,

I PRAY ALL OF GOD'S BEST FOR YOU AND YOUR FAMILY IN THE COMING 2008 NEW YEAR. MAY YOU CONTINUE TO GROW IN HIS LOVE AND GRACE, AND BE BLESSED WITH ALL OF THE ABUNDANCE THAT HE HAS FOR YOU!

enigma4ever said...

Hey there Leslie....I only kind of know you from over at Josie's ....( I guess that is like eavesdropping ) I have always been so moved by your lovely spirit and humor.....( I did love the idea of a Mouse Glove story...I thought about it alot after I suggested it- it really would make a lovely book for children...)anways...this is my first time here...you have a wonderful blog....I am so sorry for all that you and daughter have been through...that was quite a tumor and it should indeed be thoroughly tested...so good they removed it and she can start healing...and so good that you are there for her...I will keep you and your family in my prayers and send you much love and light....namaste.

((( My email is enigma4ever@earthlink.net....and my Blog is http://watergatesummer.blogspot.com/,
and also Enigma Cafe is on the blogroll there too....
that is kind a sweet little refuge blog....Watergate Summer is more of where I write everyday...please come over anytime...)

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

I'll sing with you indeed, Leslie. What an ordeal you have both been through. So relieved for you that the worst is over and that it looks good for the future. Now here's wishing you both a better 2008. Love from Sicily from Simi and me xx

Belizegial said...

Leslie,

I'm so happy to hear the good news about Jaclyn. With continued prayer that the tumor is benign.
Joining you in a happy song and dance *lol*

Enid

p.s Happy New Year!