About Me

My photo
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
I took very early retirement from teaching in '06 and did some traveling in Europe and the UK before settling down to do some private tutoring. As a voracious reader, I have many books waiting in line for me to read. Tell me I shouldn't read something, and I will. I'm a happy, optimistic person and I love to travel and through that believe that life can be a continuous learning experience. I'm looking forward to traveling more some day. I enjoy walking, cycling, water aerobics & and sports like tennis, volleyball, and fastpitch/baseball. I'm just getting into photography as a hobby and I'm enjoying learning all the bits and bobs of my digital camera. My family is everything to me and I'm delighted to be the mother of two girls and the Gramma of a boy and a girl. I may be a Gramma, but I'm at heart just a girl who wants to have fun.

Friday, November 23, 2007

Eight is Enough


Welshcakes Limoncello and jmb have both posted this meme. I actually did it after reading Welshcakes' and she urged me to post it when I emailed her to show how much we have in common. Since I have nothing of great interest to post right now, I guess I'll post my eight. Oh, and no one is tagged!

8 things I’m passionate about:

my children and grandchildren
Europe
reading
dogs
learning Romance languages
teaching
good friends
rudeness and arrogance really turn me off.

8 things to do before I die:

Return to Great Britain, France, and Italy and travel to more European countries
go on a safari in Kenya or South Africa
meet some of the blogging buddies I've made
see the Pyramids
finish writing my book and see it published
pay off my credit line
get another dog
fall in love again with a good man who is kind and rich (if only!)

8 things I say often:

I’m bored.
This, too, shall pass.
Can Gramma have a hug?
Shit, Shit, Shit.
Give Noah a kiss from me.
I really have to get back to my book.
Fine
Have a nice day.
I’m bored.

8 books I’ve read recently:

not a book, but never miss the daily Vancouver Sun newspaper
The Way the Crow Flies, by Ann-Marie MacDonald
Suite Française, by Irene Némirovsky
East of Eden, by John Steinbeck
The Almost Moon, by Alice Sebold
The Golden Compass, by Philip Pullman (currently reading the 2nd of his series of 3 called "The Subtle Knife" and will finish with "The Amber Spyglass")
I will read any novels that take place around World War II - one I really loved was "Charlotte Grey" by Sebastian Falkes

8 songs I could listen to over and over:

The Prayer, Andrea Boccelli & Celine Dion (yes, Josie, I know!)
Memories, Barbra Streisand
My Girl, The Temptations (takes me back to my first love)
Believe in You, Amanda Marshall (this could be my anthem to my younger daughter)
You Were There, from the movie Simon Birch sung by Babyface
Unforgettable, the version with both Nat King and Natalie Cole
What a Wonderful World, Louis Armstrong
Anything by Julio Iglesias and Il Divo

8 qualities I look for in a best friend:

humour – make me laugh
trustworthy – I want to know I can tell you my deepest thoughts and secrets in confidence
intelligent - enough to have a decent conversation and not just gossipy stuff
kind - enough to offer to bring chicken soup when I’m all alone and sick with a cold or flu
be able to view things from various perspectives but honour my perspective even if you don’t understand or approve of it
be interested in ME and my life
inquisitive – have a desire to learn something new every day
be willing to share a room with me on a trip and bring your own earplugs

6 comments:

jmb said...

It seems we have some things in common too Leslie.
Well done with the meme, although I think the friend thing is totally incongruous with the rest of the meme.

Jo said...

Leslie, what a great list. "Unforgettable" and "What a Wonderful World" - two of my favorites.

I've never heard you say "shit, shit, shit". It's nice to see that two such ladylike woman as you and JMB utter the occasional swear word. :-)

Ruth L.~ said...

This is great. I love the details of your life. Your list of what matters in friendship is a good one, Leslie. Which reminds me, I'm not doing so well on my Facebook, but i appreciate your notes. Don't hold it against me when I don't reply. I sent something to someone the other day and i think, somehow, I sent it from my son's Facebook. I'm having a tough time with it for some reason, ever since I got two accounts by mistake.

heiresschild said...

i enjoyed reading your list and learning a few more things about you leslie. i like how you explained the qualities you look for in a friend.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

As I said to you on email, I love your list. If you find a good, kind man please ask him if he's got a brother!

Liz Hinds said...

Suite Francaise: I was thinking of buying that for Daughter. Do you recommend?

Have you read Birdsong by Ffalkes