About Me

My photo
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
I took very early retirement from teaching in '06 and did some traveling in Europe and the UK before settling down to do some private tutoring. As a voracious reader, I have many books waiting in line for me to read. Tell me I shouldn't read something, and I will. I'm a happy, optimistic person and I love to travel and through that believe that life can be a continuous learning experience. I'm looking forward to traveling more some day. I enjoy walking, cycling, water aerobics & and sports like tennis, volleyball, and fastpitch/baseball. I'm just getting into photography as a hobby and I'm enjoying learning all the bits and bobs of my digital camera. My family is everything to me and I'm delighted to be the mother of two girls and the Gramma of a boy and a girl. I may be a Gramma, but I'm at heart just a girl who wants to have fun.

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Pig Farmer Trial Almost Over

Closing arguments are currently in process at the infamous trial of Robert Pickton, charged with killing and butchering 22 of Vancouver's 60+ missing women. Details of this trial have been published daily in the Vancouver Sun, but after a while, I stopped reading about it. It's just far too gruesome to absorb. But, jurors expect to be sequestered throughout the weekend to deliberate Pickton's guilt or innocence. Hopefully, it won't take them too long to come to a decision. It seems to me that he is overwhelmingly guilty and in his case, I'm sorry we no longer have the death penalty. People like him and Clifford Olsen (murderer and serial killer of children) shouldn't have the luxury of living out their lives in a penitentiary. I'm sure I could think of some type of lingering public torture (e.g. electrocution or burning at the stake) which might deter other evil beings from similar brutal acts towards women and children. However, we must be satisfied that he will never again set foot outside of prison walls - if he survives inside.

9 comments:

Janice Thomson said...

Gosh that's been dragging on for a long time. It's been quite awhile since they arrested him. How much the loved ones have suffered...

Belizegial said...

Leslie, good evening.

I've been meaning to stop by. Good intentions notwithstanding, time seems to be working against me lately.

From what I've read here, it appears that being incarcerated is almost too good for this guy. Hope he gets what is coming to him.

Enid

Jo said...

Leslie, they will never find all of the women he did indeed butcher. The facts of the case are too gruesome, aren't they? Let's just say I hope none of the pork he sold ended up in the mainstream consumer market. It's too ghastly to even think about it.

Leslie: said...

Well, that's how he got caught - human DNA actually DID show up.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Oh, how awful. I take it that in Canada a life sentence means just that?

Susan said...

The whole story is just so very sad! With the way our courts work, I am just praying that the families of the victims see justice served.

beachgirl said...

Sometimes I am all for the death penalty. I would be in this case. Send him to Florida. We have it. And use it.
Usually I am not one to follow court cases. Too depressing.

Have an awesome day.
Carol

Sienna said...

He is gruesome, it is horrible, what on earth goes on in the mind of someone like that, Australia has had some horrendous murderers too; I too struggle with understanding it, and question the death penalty being brought in for these monsters.

Pam

MedStudentWife said...

It will be interesting to see where this one goes. I don't think its going to be an easy verdict