About Me

My photo
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
I took very early retirement from teaching in '06 and did some traveling in Europe and the UK before settling down to do some private tutoring. As a voracious reader, I have many books waiting in line for me to read. Tell me I shouldn't read something, and I will. I'm a happy, optimistic person and I love to travel and through that believe that life can be a continuous learning experience. I'm looking forward to traveling more some day. I enjoy walking, cycling, water aerobics & and sports like tennis, volleyball, and fastpitch/baseball. I'm just getting into photography as a hobby and I'm enjoying learning all the bits and bobs of my digital camera. My family is everything to me and I'm delighted to be the mother of two girls and the Gramma of a boy and a girl. I may be a Gramma, but I'm at heart just a girl who wants to have fun.

Thursday, January 24, 2008

Lunch Date

I had lunch today with the "potential charmer" I mentioned a few posts back. It was actually a very nice lunch with good conversation and some laughs. He's the first man I've gone out with who actually asked me right out (well, not immediately but in the course of the chatting)if I wanted to get married again! That sort of threw me for a loop but he said that he didn't want to make the same mistakes he'd made in the past. I thought that was quite honest of him. He also paid for lunch before I had a chance to even realize the bill had come and when I tried to object, he just smiled and said, "Too late." I think he's worth another date. Unfortunately, he doesn't live in the same city as I do, so I'll just have to wait and see if he gets in touch. But wouldn't it be nice to be courted for a change? It's been so long since there've been any real contenders and it's going to be pretty difficult to get to know each other well from a distance. However, if it's meant to be, it'll be. In the meantime, life goes on.

14 comments:

jmb said...

Thank goodness it was a success and just take it one date at a time and go with the flow. As you say, what will be will be. Or not.

Jo said...

Leslie, he sounds like a very nice man. And he didn't mention phlegm even once, right?

Casdok said...

A gentleman!
As you say - if it was meant to be...

Russell said...

I am happy to read you had a good experience with your new friend! He sounds decent and in this world that is a commodity in short supply!

I suggest if you enjoy his company you let him know it. As a man (well, a boy who has aged at least...!) I can attest that men do like to hear from women, even though they most often do not say much about it. There is a balance, of course, but if you let this gentleman know you appreciate him, he is sure to respond favorably.

Sometimes an unexpected card in the mail is a wonderful surprise that make a huge impression. If a man is scared off by a woman who is strong enough to say "I enjoy being with you" then that man is not one you want to be around!

True strength is the ability to hold a wildflower in your hands, to enjoy it, but to let it live. When it comes to men, the truly strong ones are the one who are strong enough to be gentle.

Tai said...

Glad it was a good experience! Hopefully there will be more of them in your very near future!

Nancy said...

Leslie~ How exciting and fun! You are so right to take the attitude of, "if it was meant to be"! If it doesn't work, at least you had a nice meal and good conversation- which is a blessing indeed!

Dave said...

Well Leslie, all the best in this hopeful relationship. I am sure you will keep us up to dat. Take care! :-)

Leslie: said...

What was really nice was that he honestly seemed interested in me, asking me questions about myself, but not being too personal. Didn't talk about himself incessantly but was just open enough. And at one cutesy little repartee he actually blushed!

Never a mention of phlegm, either. *lol*

Anonymous said...

What wonderful advice from Russell. I can tell you it is true. As long as the right man is courting you, he will certainly be encouraged if you let him know you appreciated his company and the fact he paid for lunch was lovely but it is your turn next time. (He may not agree).

Pete and I 'met' on the Internet on Friday 25th February 2005. We talked on the phone all through the Saturday and found we just had to meet in person. He lived some 40 miles from me. We met for dinner on the Sunday evening and it will be the 3rd anniversary of that wonderful date soon. We do not bother with Valentines Day as we can enjoy our memories 13 days later.

We married that August on my 50th birthday and I have no regrets at all. When the right one comes along - don't hold back, Leslie.

It was such a relief to stop kissing frogs! At last, my prince had arrived.

nancygrayce said...

Yes, he sounds good! Give him another chance at a date. If he's interested he will come to town more often. And let him court you! That's the way it should be...the man pays! I'm a firm believer in that. Maybe because when I went on a date, my dad gave me a dime to call home in case the guy was a creep....i couldn't buy dinner. :)

enigma4ever said...

wow...sounds so nice...respectable...and pleasent....good for you...I hope there is a Date#2....

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

He sounds like a true gentleman. Great that you had a good time, and he treated you well.

Yes what will be will be!!!

Liz Hinds said...

How lovely! And tell me, was he looking for a wife or just a friend/lover?

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Oh, Leslie, I think this one sounds worth hanging on for!