About Me

My photo
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
I took very early retirement from teaching in '06 and did some traveling in Europe and the UK before settling down to do some private tutoring. As a voracious reader, I have many books waiting in line for me to read. Tell me I shouldn't read something, and I will. I'm a happy, optimistic person and I love to travel and through that believe that life can be a continuous learning experience. I'm looking forward to traveling more some day. I enjoy walking, cycling, water aerobics & and sports like tennis, volleyball, and fastpitch/baseball. I'm just getting into photography as a hobby and I'm enjoying learning all the bits and bobs of my digital camera. My family is everything to me and I'm delighted to be the mother of two girls and the Gramma of a boy and a girl. I may be a Gramma, but I'm at heart just a girl who wants to have fun.

Sunday, April 19, 2009

Renovations Begin

Ever since I moved into my home almost 6 years ago, I've been wanting to renovate my ensuite bathroom. However, there were always more pressing things on which I needed to spend my hard-earned dollars.

But...

Last week, I discovered that when I was taking a shower, water was leaking through the window and running down the side of the house.

Thankfully, I'd already been looking at tile for the tub surround and the floor for quite a while. I'd scoured many home reno stores, specialty tile stores, magazines, and catalogues. So I knew pretty much what I wanted.

So last Monday, I popped into another tile store in a neighbouring 'burb and found exactly the tile I wanted. The owner had someone he usually recommends to do the labour and just as he was getting the man's card, in he walked! So I met him, chatted with him, and had a really good feel about him. After all, the owner of the tile store has his reputation on the line if he doesn't recommend someone good. The tiler and his son (they've been in business over 30 years) came over the next day and took a good look at what was needed and he came back the very next day with a very well-written estimate which includes a new window, too.

The reno begins tomorrow (Monday)...

This is my first time experiencing a home renovation and I've heard both good and bad. I'm hoping that the end result will be worth all the dust, dirt, noise, hassle, and money.

Wish me luck! Oh, and here are a few "before" shots! You can see why I need to do something about the bathroom. Click to enlarge.























I'll try to keep you up to date on the activities going on by taking some photos every evening after the workers leave. I'll be happy when this is all over with. *sigh*

7 comments:

Maggie May said...

Oh dear....... The carpet needs covering as builders are blinkered about this kind of thing.
I know cos I've been married to one for years........ Done that, bin there....... *sigh*.

Hope it all goes well. The secret is...... keeping them there and getting a good job finished!

Liz Hinds said...

Good luck!

The fact that they turned up on time and gave you a proper estimate is a good sign. We had good workmen doing our bathroom and it all turned out well; Im sure yours will to.

Leslie: said...

Liz - They turned up over an hour early this morning and I was still in bed! Eager beavers...but that's okay with me.

And Maggie - the carpet is being pulled up as it's disgusting and 25 years old and I'm having ceramic tile put down. It's going to be SO much nicer.

Rosie said...

brave woman. go on holiday for a while...

Barbara said...

I hope all goes well - looking forward to the 'after' photos.

Russell said...

Sounds like quite a project - but you will be very glad when it is done! In the mean time, just keeping thinking how wonderful it will be when it is done!

The process can be a bit frustrating at times but it is worth it!

Powell River Books said...

Have fun - glad you can do something special for yourself. I'll be watching for the results. - Margy