* you grade papers in the car, during commercials, in faculty meetings, in the bathroom, and have even been seen grading in church.
* you cheer when you hear April 1 does not fall on a school day.
* you can't walk past a crowd of kids without straightening up the line.
* you can gulp down a full lunch in 2 minutes, 18 seconds.
* you know the best end of semester lesson plans can come from Blockbuster.
* you know the shortest distance and length of travel time from the classroom to the office.
* you have never heard an original excuse.
* you know the best places to find used gum.
* you feel the urge to snap your fingers in public at children you do not know to correct their behaviour.
* you want to slap the next person who says, "Must be nice to work 8 to 3:20 and have summers free."
* you hear the heartbeats of crisis; you always have time to listen; you know you teach students, not subjects; and you know you are absolutely non-expendable.
- Delta, British Columbia, Canada
- I took very early retirement from teaching in '06 and did some traveling in Europe and the UK before settling down to do some private tutoring. As a voracious reader, I have many books waiting in line for me to read. Tell me I shouldn't read something, and I will. I'm a happy, optimistic person and I love to travel and through that believe that life can be a continuous learning experience. I'm looking forward to traveling more some day. I enjoy walking, cycling, water aerobics & and sports like tennis, volleyball, and fastpitch/baseball. I'm just getting into photography as a hobby and I'm enjoying learning all the bits and bobs of my digital camera. My family is everything to me and I'm delighted to be the mother of two girls and the Gramma of a boy and a girl. I may be a Gramma, but I'm at heart just a girl who wants to have fun.