About Me

My photo
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
I took very early retirement from teaching in '06 and did some traveling in Europe and the UK before settling down to do some private tutoring. As a voracious reader, I have many books waiting in line for me to read. Tell me I shouldn't read something, and I will. I'm a happy, optimistic person and I love to travel and through that believe that life can be a continuous learning experience. I'm looking forward to traveling more some day. I enjoy walking, cycling, water aerobics & and sports like tennis, volleyball, and fastpitch/baseball. I'm just getting into photography as a hobby and I'm enjoying learning all the bits and bobs of my digital camera. My family is everything to me and I'm delighted to be the mother of two girls and the Gramma of a boy and a girl. I may be a Gramma, but I'm at heart just a girl who wants to have fun.

Friday, January 11, 2008

Riding Horses

Jaclyn, age 4, at Scotch Creek Ranch

The big day has come when Jaclyn feels well enough to go home to her own place. Yesterday, she had the staples removed and then we went grocery shopping. But by then, she realized that she was exhausted and really should stay one more night. I think she was surprised at how tired she was from her first day out.


I have mixed feelings today. I remember bringing her home after she was born. I remember so many of her "firsts." The first time she stood up by herself in her crib when she was about 7 months old, the first time she was brave enough to take her first steps at 11 months. I remember the first time I took her ice skating, the first time she took swimming lessons, her first ice show, her first Halloween, her first Christmas...so many firsts. I remember the first time she rode a horse (well, a pony) at age 2. However, riding ended at age 9 when she was bucked off a charging horse. She ended up in Children's Hospital for 2 months with a broken shoulder, just centimetres away from either being killed or a quadraplegic. She never rode again.


She had a rough 2007. But I'm so proud of her for fighting and coming back stronger than ever. She now has her own apartment full of her own things. She has lots of friends who care for her and a family that will do anything and everything to help her succeed in life. She's smart as a whip, funny, creative, and the friendliest and most generous person I've ever known. (yes, I admit she does have a few negatives, but she'll work those out) And she has a good job close enough that she can walk to work.


My feelings don't matter today. I enjoyed being "Mommy" again for a while, but I'm also so grateful that she's mending well and ready to be on her own again. I'll help her settle back in and then I will leave with her knowing I'm only a phone call away. And I will get on with my life, too.


So get back on that horse, Jaclyn, and be the boss. Ride with all your heart and make yourself a good life. God bless you for being so brave as you rode out those storms last year. This is the start of a new life, a life that I pray will bring you health and happiness.

14 comments:

beachgirl said...

Congratulations on the good news Leslie. Someone was sure looking out for her.

Now that this crisis has come and gone, It's time for things to settle down.

Have an awesome weekend. I see some beach time and ride time in my weekend plans.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Congratulations to both you and Jaclyn. You have described a mother's feelings brilliantly and I guess the hard part now is "letting go" again. Please pass on love from Sicily from Simi and me to Jaclyn.xx

Leslie: said...

Hi Carol, have fun at the beach - I'm SO jealous. Yes, things are settling down now that I'm home alone. Silence is golden. No more "Mo-o-o-o-m..." ;D

Leslie: said...

Hiya Welsh...it was kinda hard leaving her place today. But she was so anxious for me to go and I really didn't take it personally. I'm glad she's well enough to be back on her own.

BBC said...

Riding horses is a very good way to get hurt or killed. I'll stick to things with some iron around it for protection.

Janice Thomson said...

That's wonderful for the both of you. It's great when life gets back to normal again. As you said you are only a phone call away should Mom's help or advice be needed or just to say hello.

.Tom Kapanka said...

Sorry to have lost touch. Been very busy. So glad to hear the happy outcome of these two posts. Great photos and even greater "mothering."

jmb said...

Nice tribute to your daughter Leslie.

Casdok said...

You both sound like incredable people!!

Sienna said...

What a beautiful tribute; for both of you! may you have some fun and relaxation.

Love your bucket list btw, sounds good to me. :)

Pam

Smalltown RN said...

That is wonderful news Leslie...sounds like things are coming along splendidly...I am so happy for all of you....

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

Love to you both from us in Oxfordshire. Take care. x x

Trubes said...

Good news again Leslie. One step at a time. Jaclyn will probably feel knocked about for a while yet but she seems to have her Mum`s tenacity and good spirits so, I guess all will come good in the end !
God Bless you both.
Di. xx

Enigma4ever said...

of Watergate Summer here...


oh what a lovely post...choked me up...ahhh that you treasure and remember all her firsts....lovely...I hope she is doing better and just gets better and better.....but so good that you were able to mother her and nurture her back to health...namaste...