About Me

My photo
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
I took very early retirement from teaching in '06 and did some traveling in Europe and the UK before settling down to do some private tutoring. As a voracious reader, I have many books waiting in line for me to read. Tell me I shouldn't read something, and I will. I'm a happy, optimistic person and I love to travel and through that believe that life can be a continuous learning experience. I'm looking forward to traveling more some day. I enjoy walking, cycling, water aerobics & and sports like tennis, volleyball, and fastpitch/baseball. I'm just getting into photography as a hobby and I'm enjoying learning all the bits and bobs of my digital camera. My family is everything to me and I'm delighted to be the mother of two girls and the Gramma of a boy and a girl. I may be a Gramma, but I'm at heart just a girl who wants to have fun.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Dreams to Disaster

Today we're supposed to do something on the letter "D" and I was racking my brain trying to come up with something original. I started thinking about my late husband and how when we were married in June of 1973 we had such DREAMS for our life. He was a Darling man with a devilish sense of humour. We aDored each other and were going to have a wonDerful life together.

exiting the church to the strains of the MenDelssohn's WeDDing March

Dad built this arbour and flew in orange blossoms from California.
This photo was enlarged, framed, and displayed in the front window of the photographer's studio for a year!

toasting our life together in my parents' dining room

We left the next morning for our three-week honeymoon at Brian's parents' place on Shuswap Lake, about a 5-hour drive away. The weather was great and because it was just before the school holidays, it was quiet and idyllic. We swam, hiked, took the boat out, built a bonfire every evening, and Brian serenaded me with his guitar.

I like to remember Brian driving the boat. He felt so free then.

One day, he insisted on taking my photo on the bow of the boat.


This is typical Brian - by the water with his guitar.


Here we are at our evening bonfire.

When we came home from our honeymoon, we saw that my mother had given the local newspaper one of our wedding photos and written something about the wedding. In those days, it was "de rigeur" to do so. This is the photo she submitted but pardon the condition as it's actually from the paper and got creased in the wedding album.

We had a wonDerful life together and he was a wonDerful Daddy to our two daughters. But our Dreams turned into DISASTER in 1992 when he got sick and enDeD up taking his own life out of Desperation. I look back on these photos and wonder how life would have been had he not been stricken with that horrid illness. It's been difficult to go on without him, and I thought that I might even marry again someday. No one has made me feel the way I did with him, though. At least, not yet. I look at these photos and my heart still flutters remembering the love we had and I hope that I might have that again - because that's what he wanted for me. I think it's because it's Valentine's Day tomorrow that got me thinking about my husband. But rest assured that I'm not depressed....only feeling a bit nostalgic.

55 comments:

ellen b. said...

It's hard to know what to type here. The fact that you raised your girls and are now enjoying your grandchildren with such a joyful attitude speaks volumes about your character and survival qualities. Blessings...

DeeMom said...

What a loving tribute

Anonymous said...

Thats such a sweet story. I'm sorry he's gone.
Happy Valentines day for the 14th and much hugs.

dot said...

Thanks for sharing your story. Very few people find that kind of love.

Lilli & Nevada said...

What a wonderful memory you are sharing.

Neva said...

What a lovely tribute. What an amazing woman you are. I hope your week goes well and thanks for sharing your story.

jmb said...

It's sad that the dreams were broken by illness like that but I'm sure you had some great times before he got ill.
A lovely tribute to your love.

Katney said...

Your story saddens me. I am glad that you have the happy times to remember him.

AVCr8teur said...

Brian sounded like a wonderful man and what a great tribute to him. You are so full of life even through this disaster. I'm sure your book will help others.

Thank you for commenting on my ABC post. Glad to hear you weren't a former resident of Alcatraz. :)

Paulie said...

DEFINITELY a wonderful love story. Glad you aren't depressed. Cherish those memories!

Ellee Seymour said...

What lovely pics, and what very special memories which will stay with you for ever and bring you happiness as you relive those special moments.

Silly Goose said...

Valentine's Day is bringing back mostly positive memories, I hope! Sounds like it.

Liz Hinds said...

what a good looking couple. I especially like the photo of Brian driving the boat. What wonderful memories you have. Do buy yourself that bunch of tulips and enjoy both the tulips and the memories. Lots of love to you.

FO - 2 said...

A touching story.
Thank`s for sharing. Hold on to the good memories.

hpy said...

What a lovely post about your dear husband.

Berit T said...

Lovly pictures!!
I am so sorry he is gone.
Thank you for telling the story.
Hug :o)

meggie said...

What a beautiful bride you are!! You are still beautiful today.
Thank you for sharing what must be rather hard to write about.
Hugs xx

Jo said...

Leslie, what a gorgeous couple you guys were. On your wedding day, when everything seems so perfect, you never imagine looking into the future and seeing what will happen, do you? It does make one nostalgic, doesn't it?

Gorgeous pictures!

Anne-Berit said...

What a sweet story,thank you for sharing it with us.Hold on to your sweet memories:o)

sally in norfolk said...

It amazes me where us women find our strength. your story brought tears to my eyes, and brought back memories of my own life.

Randi said...

Ohh...i am so sorry to read your story. I know all about losing people close to my. But it is very specially when they dieing in this way. You always wonder if therewasis something you could have done for them.....sow many question but now one to answer them.

A big hug for you.

Anonymous said...

So many lovely pictures. Thanks for sharing your story.

Andrea said...

I thought that looked like '70's pictures. I am sorry your dreams ended in disaster. Suicide is hard to understand. They think they are getting rid of their problems but do not realize what heartaches they are leaving for their loved ones. God bless you.
Beautiful post.

Petunia said...

I don't know what to write. Ii must have been so hard for you... I think it s a great thing that you sharing this story.
Thank you!

Rune Eide said...

A very moving and touching story. My wife and I were married in 1972. We still are, but I got a serious disease in 2000 that could only be treated by a very large operation in 2004. I hadn't made it without the support of my wife and my children.

I have a very tiny feeling of what you must have gone through. No one who hasn't been through the same can imagine all of it.

All my sympathy.

BBC said...

I still think of my wife once in a while, even though we had our ups and downs, and she died over 20 years ago.

Almost instantly, poof. That's how I want to go.

For V day I'll just go next door and give Helen a hug.

Daryl said...

A devine tribute to a deserving dear!

ArneA said...

Strong story.
Strong woman.
Will always return to your blog

Linda said...

What a great tribute to a wonderful person. Your words I'm sure will be an encouragement to others who might be experiencing similar circumtances. Thank you for sharing some of your life with us. God Bless!

Anonymous said...

You can feel the love and happiness in those photos. It is such a beautiful tribute to your love for your husband and I hope you do find that kind of love again. I'm sorry he's not here with you today. Thank you for sharing your story with us.

kml said...

A beautifully written tribute to your love. You have a great inner strength that will continue to guide you along life's way.

Take care!!

Pernille said...

What a wonderful husband you had. And thank you for sharing this story with us. I'm sorry that his gone. But I think you are a strong women and I am glad that you have happy memories about your life together.
All my best from Pernille

GAWO said...

A lovely tribute. Thanks for sharing this.

Nancy said...

What a loving tribute.Thanks for sharing your love story.Makes me appreciate my husband even more.We will be celebrating our 35th wedding anniversary this June.We are blessed with two grandchildren.I know the arrival of your grandchild will be a very blessed day.

Claire said...

A very moving tribute to Brian thanks for sharing your story.It sounds as if he was a wonderful man. Hugs for 14th.

nancygrayce said...

Wonderful tribute and the pictures say how happy you two were! You are a strong woman!

Dragonstar said...

Thank you for sharing this. It's a lovely story, and the pictures are a wonderful memento.

VP said...

A poignant story told with much love

Annie said...

It was a dream come true, for a while, and that's a wonderful thing.

Mrs Mac said...

Such cute photo's! And you could feature that shirt of his in "R" -for Ruffles! LOL!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Those are beautiful photos, Leslie and he was a handsome, and I'm sure, wonderful, man. You look lovely, as you do now. I can't imagine how hard it must be for you to have to deal with how he died, but I'm sure he loved you and your daughters so much.
You have great courage, Leslie, and I am glad that you have not lost hope.
I'm melancholy about Valentine's Day too - and I'll confess now that it's my birthday as well!

Pete M said...

What a really beautiful but sad story, many years have passed but time does not always heal, hope you find what you are looking for without forgetting your wonderful past

Country Girl said...

Tearing up. Lovely post.

heiresschild said...

a beautiful tribute Leslie! i definitely understand, and i'm glad you have good memories to reminisce about. hopefully, one of these days, you and i both will find love again with someone special. HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY TO YOU!

Kerri Farley said...

A Beautiful tribute to your husband! Wow...you are One Strong Lady!

david mcmahon said...

What a marvellous tribute, Leslie. I wish you strength and fulfilment in many happy memories.

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

A beautiful story, you have all the lovely memories to share. Your pictures are touching. xox

John-Michael said...

Such a comfort and gentle respite for your Spirit ... to know that He desired continued Love and companionship for your happiness. I am indebted to David McMahon for guiding me to your uplifting message ... and to You, for your sharing of it.

katydidnot said...

beautiful post. beautiful soul.

Bradley's Mom said...

Came over by way of David's blog.

Thank you for sharing these pictures and memories.

Bless you.

Linda

Sandi McBride said...

I'm so sorry for your loss.
Sandi

Pear tree cottage! said...

your post is the most loveliest valentines day I have ever read dear Leslie.

It is so nice to know you and yours via the world of blogging.

Your lovely family & Brian are so very dear to you and I thank you for sharing this "your darlings story" with us today.

Lee-ann

Lee-ann

Anonymous said...

I have nothing to add. God bless all of you, your memories of Brian, and you especially x

becky aka theRAV said...

I think you should win for this D post.

becky aka theRAV said...

I think you should win for this D post.