About Me

My photo
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
I took very early retirement from teaching in '06 and did some traveling in Europe and the UK before settling down to do some private tutoring. As a voracious reader, I have many books waiting in line for me to read. Tell me I shouldn't read something, and I will. I'm a happy, optimistic person and I love to travel and through that believe that life can be a continuous learning experience. I'm looking forward to traveling more some day. I enjoy walking, cycling, water aerobics & and sports like tennis, volleyball, and fastpitch/baseball. I'm just getting into photography as a hobby and I'm enjoying learning all the bits and bobs of my digital camera. My family is everything to me and I'm delighted to be the mother of two girls and the Gramma of a boy and a girl. I may be a Gramma, but I'm at heart just a girl who wants to have fun.

Thursday, February 07, 2008

Edith Piaf - Hymne à L'Amour

I watched "La Vie en Rose" today, the story of Edith Piaf's life. It was an amazing movie of an amazing yet far too short life. The role of Edith Piaf is played by Marion Cotillard. Stephen Holden of the New York Times describes her performance as a "feral portrait" of the singer and as "a captive wild animal hurling herself at the bars of her cage in the most astonishing immersion of one performer into the body and soul of another." This movie is a masterpiece and Marion Cotillard should, in my opinion, be a shoo-in for Best Actress this year! To see a trailer of the movie and to find out more about it, go to www.edithpiafmovie.com
Although her signature song was "La Vie en Rose" I chose this one to share because it means a lot to me personally. For translation of the words, go to http://www.grobania.com/hymne.html

7 comments:

Jo said...

Leslie, I agree, Marion Cotillard should win the Oscar for this performance. She captured Edith Piaf so perfectly, and so much more. She wasEdit Piaf. Marion Cotillard probably won't win, because it's Hollywood... but she should win, and everyone should see this movie!

Leslie: said...

I agree, Josie! She absolutely immersed herself into the character to the point that you felt as though you were watching Edith herself. There were many heart-wrenching scenes in the movie but the one in which I identified the most was when the love of her life was killed in a plane crash. I was sobbing! And then again at the end I couldn't control myself! Everyone should see this movie....totally agree!

jmb said...

I gave my daughter this video for Christmas, her request of course. Sadly we did not watch it before she left so I'll have to rent it myself.

Casdok said...

Wonderful :)

Max-e said...

The "litle sparrow" - so much talent yet such a tragic life.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

I love that. Thank you for reminding me of it.

Country Girl said...

All this evening, I've been visiting blogs of those who have left comments on mine. You've been coming up on all of them. Glad to meet you and can't believe we were watching the same movie on the same evening.

Yes, Marion should win the Oscar for this performance. It was spellbounding.

I'll be back to visit!