About Me

My photo
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
I took very early retirement from teaching in '06 and did some traveling in Europe and the UK before settling down to do some private tutoring. As a voracious reader, I have many books waiting in line for me to read. Tell me I shouldn't read something, and I will. I'm a happy, optimistic person and I love to travel and through that believe that life can be a continuous learning experience. I'm looking forward to traveling more some day. I enjoy walking, cycling, water aerobics & and sports like tennis, volleyball, and fastpitch/baseball. I'm just getting into photography as a hobby and I'm enjoying learning all the bits and bobs of my digital camera. My family is everything to me and I'm delighted to be the mother of two girls and the Gramma of a boy and a girl. I may be a Gramma, but I'm at heart just a girl who wants to have fun.

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

ABC WEDNESDAY - This week is brought to you by the letter R

R is for Richard Roe.

Who the heck is that, you may ask!

Well, I first became aware of Richard in May of 2005, when I read an article in the Vancouver Sun about a "senior gentleman" who was seeking his soulmate. This is part of what he writes on his webpage:

"The idea for Senior Bachelor grew from the realization that after 10 years of being single, I miss, very much, being in a loving, healthy, committed relationship. I travel a great deal every year, and let's face it, being in a gondola in Venice, or on the beach in Bali watching the sunset, or seeing the Taj Mahal under a full moon, is a heck of a lot more fun being with someone you love than being alone! So I decided to become "the poster boy" for promoting Romance and Adventure for folks over 45. I dubbed myself “Senior Bachelor” to crusade against all the “over the hill” stereotypes."

"This sounds too good to be true," thought I, as I checked him out on the computer. He was offering each of 6 women a month-long, all-expenses paid trip with him somewhere in the world.
"There has to be a catch," I insisted.

But I was intrigued.

I read everything on his webpage and participated in his blog that he started in June. There were lots of women from all over the world who blogged there and eventually I felt as though I knew some of them personally. Several friends urged me to send in my bio but I still felt like it was somehow a hoax. However, Oprah had him on her show in April (I saw it rerun in August) and he was featured in the June 27, 2005 issue of People Magazine's 50 Hottest Bachelors. I waited until practically the very last minute before sending in my "application."

On August 31, 2005, I flew down to Manhattan Beach by myself to meet this man. He was hosting a "Meet the Senior Bachelor" weekend there in his hometown. I had arranged to room with a woman I'd met on his blog and to meet several others with whom I'd become friendly. So even though I was going alone, I'm quite outgoing and just thought of it as expanding my horizons. Below is the first group of women who arrived to meet Richard. The man in the photo is Joe, his business manager - another great guy who, unfortunately, was and still is happily married.

This is when Richard arrived and all the women were taking pictures! You can see my shadow on his body and he's looking right at me. To the left is Umberto, Richard's handsome young protege who speaks about 6 languages. Umberto is another story for another time.
So, what was he like? Charming ~ Polite ~ Well-informed ~ And lots of fun.
I was even more intrigued.

However, he did not choose me to be one of his "semi-finalists" and I figured that was the end of it. Little did I realize though, that he'd taken some of our ideas for senior singles cruises and promptly organized two Alaska cruises for August of 2006. I recruited two of my girl friends and we signed up, planning on having a really fun time meeting other singles of a, shall we say, mature vintage. We had a fantastic time and met lots of people with whom we promised to correspond. Here is a small group of us posing with Richard at dinner on the cruise.


When we stopped in Prince Rupert, I found this old guy sitting outside a fishing shop so Cathy took my photo with him. I later sent it to Richard as a souvenir of our cruise. Do you see a resemblance?

While on that cruise, Richard mentioned that he wanted to try something else. He'd lived in Italy in the past and wanted to offer guided tours if anyone was interested. Well, I was! In October of 2007, I met him and a small group of women in Rome and we departed on a month-long holiday. I've written about some of my adventures there on my blog. Here we are on our first night in Rome, sharing a pizza in the Piazza Navona.

I left Richard in Rome on a rainy day in mid-November, 2007, expecting to never see him again. However, I was wrong. He arranged for a reunion in Manhattan Beach for anyone who had been involved in his "journey" over the preceding year and a half. So I flew down to meet up with him and others I'd met through this adventure. It was a fun few days, cycling the boardwalk from Manhattan Beach to Hermosa Beach to Redondo Beach and back. We ate well and partied even better. The following photo was taken the morning my friend Suzanne and I left to drive up to Stallion Springs, CA, to stay with her Mom for another few days before I had to return to reality.

I think Richard's search for his soulmate has ended but I'm not sure if it was successful or not. But I do know that he is still doing guided tours in Italy and this year he took a few ladies to France. Other cruises that he has arranged have been through the Panama Canal, around the Greek Islands, and this July he'll be on the cruise through the Baltic Sea. So if anyone is interested, just go to his website, http://www.seniorbachelor.com/ and check it all out.

Hope you enjoyed my story about Richard Roe on this "R-day" and that you all have a radiant week.

To check out who else participated this week, please go to Mrs. Nesbitt's site and join in.

42 comments:

Juliana RW said...

It is wonderful post for R theme. Hi Richard, nice to meet you :D

Will you visit mine Thanks

photowannabe said...

Really Rare!! I think he missed the best of the bunch....Leslie. He certainly is a great promoter and quite handsome too.
Thanks for a interesting R post.

FO - 2 said...

Cute story! :)))
Charming!
Just like an episode of reality TV..... ;)
I have been to Prince Rupert, by the way. Together with my husband. ;)
A nice place.

My R

Liz Hinds said...

Wow, Leslie, that's an incredible story! How brave of you and how well it all turned out. He sounds like an interesting man.

Sienna said...

Strewth!

What an adventure, Leslie you have so much fun you make my head spin.

Richard is so handsome and sounds like a fun person too, what a great idea(s)..

It is like reality tv, what must of been going through your mind initially, but you've got courage!!

Pam

Daryl said...

Mr Roe is a very clever entrepreneur isnt he? And that he is easy on the eyes makes it all the more fun for those who want to travel in good company .. which is what it looks like you did, Leslie!

Excellent and clever R!

:-Daryl

Unknown said...

Thats a wonderful story, Leslie!
Thanks for a great R post.

Ellee Seymour said...

I've got a friend with a dating agency and she tells me that older men ALWAYS want younger, slim women. Us oldies don't get a look in. And, of course, it helps if they have money!

Katney said...

How intriguing--well, must have been if you found so many opportunities to participate as you did. Not sure it would be my cup-a-tea. But then, I've got a live one and think I'll try keep him around for ANOTHER forty years. He's gone off this mornign to invest in a mini-camping trailer to make our summer excrusions more convenient--and maybe a few wintery ones possible.

Paulie said...

What a remarkable and romantic story!

Petunia said...

Charming story and a wonderful post, Leslie!

Petunia's ABC

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

He sounds too good to be true. Nice to know he turned out to expectations.

Leslie: said...

Thx everyone! I knew right from the start it was a business venture, but still and all it was fun. And the best part is that I made so many new friends through the adventure.

Daniel Chérouvrier said...

If only I wad older (in fact I'm not so young).

Jean M Fogle said...

that must have been quite an adventure or several I should say!

Jo said...

Leslie, I think Richard's blog was more fun than anything. Some of those women on there were crazy, crazy, crazy!!!

You had fun on your trips, though. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, right?

Dragonstar said...

That's a real adventure - makes fascinating reading!

Jane Hards Photography said...

That was absolutely fascinating. A truly unique choice for r this week.

Rune Eide said...

That was a very special story indeed! Somehow I think it is a "Never ending story" - so who knows? You never have more fun in this life than you make for yourself.

Oh, well - the old married men never get chances like that...

Jane said...

What an interesting R post. You sure are an amazing lady, Leslie!

KrisMrsBBradley said...

Wow! What a great adventure you had! I bet you met a lot of interesting people and went places you'd never been before. Thanks for sharing!

Suburbia said...

Amazing story! perfect for R!

Anonymous said...

Too late tonight for me to read through - I'll get to it. Thanks for your visit.

imac said...

Interesting story, lots of fun,ramance,friendship.

Thanks for visiting my blog and your kind comments.

Barbara said...

What an amazing person, you were brave to go in the first place, but what wonderful adventures you have had since.

nonizamboni said...

What an amazing story and a clever use of 'r'! I was spellbound by your moxie and your experiences, travels, etc. Leslie, you and he looked great together.
Thanks for sharing such a fun story. Happy Wednesday.

Linda said...

Wow - glad this all turned out great for you. Looks like you made some nice friends.

Jan said...

That is quite a tale. He certainly is enterprising! We had a batchlor on our street, who set up a 'charm school' for women on the web, somehow. He entertained a number of them, individually, in his home. I think he is a scammer. (And I think he's ucky.) You're lucky that Richard is genuine.

Mrs Mac said...

What a fascinating story!
(I think I prefer him sans beard!)
LOL!

kml said...

Wow - sounds like you had quite a time with a lot of fun. Good for you!!

Powell River Books said...

What an amazing story. You are a true adventurer! I'm not sure I'd be that brave.

I chose rocks for my post. Come see my pretty Coastal BC examples. - Margy

Anonymous said...

This is the story of the week! You'd think after meeting that many women that he would be able to find one of his dreams!

nancygrayce said...

You have an adventurous spirit, Leslie! Which of course, means that the right man is waiting right around the next adventure! Never stop looking and just living life to the fullest.

Miss_Yves said...

What an adventure!No romance, but travels and trips !
A real serial!
And your virtual image is ready to meet another R. ROe or to travel again !
miss Yves

Anonymous said...

Hi Leslie

I had a few adventures while single but none quite as far flung ad exciting. Thanks for sharing the story.

mrsnesbitt said...

Wow leslie, what a fascinating story!
Loved reading this.

Louis la Vache said...

Very interesting story and certainly a perfect choice for R Wednesday!

"Louis" thanks you for visiting San Francisco Bay Daily Photo.

ellen b. said...

Wow Leslie, I'm totally impressed with your adventurous spirit. Love it. Way to get out and enjoy the world! :0)

Bruno LoGreco said...

New to your blog - sounds like you did something you would not have normally done. Feels good to be a little uncomfortable once in a while. Good for you!

Andrea said...

What an interesting "R" post.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

What a fascinating story and how brave and adventurous you have been, Leslie! You look great in all the photos and it's RR's loss!

Ruth W. said...

OMG Leslie, you have the courage, determination and adventuress's attitude I have always wanted. You are such an inspiration to us all, I wished I had lived near you and gotten to know you.