About Me

My photo
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
I took very early retirement from teaching in '06 and did some traveling in Europe and the UK before settling down to do some private tutoring. As a voracious reader, I have many books waiting in line for me to read. Tell me I shouldn't read something, and I will. I'm a happy, optimistic person and I love to travel and through that believe that life can be a continuous learning experience. I'm looking forward to traveling more some day. I enjoy walking, cycling, water aerobics & and sports like tennis, volleyball, and fastpitch/baseball. I'm just getting into photography as a hobby and I'm enjoying learning all the bits and bobs of my digital camera. My family is everything to me and I'm delighted to be the mother of two girls and the Gramma of a boy and a girl. I may be a Gramma, but I'm at heart just a girl who wants to have fun.

Monday, May 05, 2008

Just a bit of news

I haven't felt like posting anything for several days since I had that exhausting and emotional day with my out-of-town friend. I think that day really hit me and I'm still recovering from it. I'm sleeping 10 hours a night and don't seem to have much energy.

That said, we had a little "Welcome Eden" party yesterday. Just the family and a few friends for a casual meal. Eden was so sweet and we're getting lots of smiles from her now.
Propped up on Gramma's loveseat.
Big smiles for Daddy.
She was very patient as she got passed around a lot, but settled down to sleep chomping away on her soother while we all ate dinner.
Everyone certainly enjoyed the delicious cake, made especially for the occasion.
Noah was a bit hyper, but still his funny and loving self. He ate up all his dinner so he could get to the cake, but when it was served, he decided he didn't like it. So his Auntie Jaclyn got him some ice cream instead. He loudly asked, "Why are all these people here? Is this a party?" He got lots of laughs from that.

Auntie Jaclyn adores her new niece.

So my other bit of news is that I got my CT Scan results back. I now know I have two more herniated discs (at L3/4 and L4/5), something wrong at L5/S1 plus more stenosis. Am waiting to get in to see a neurosurgeon and am preparing myself for more back surgery and possible spinal fusion. I already had one disc removed in 1986. Lucky me to have inherited my Dad's bad back - he had to have fusion, too. But maybe that's what happens when you're athletic in youth - you suffer in middle and old age. *sigh* Oh well, it's a lovely day so I might go for a short walk later to keep myself mobile. My legs are feeling a bit rubbery lately, but I don't need a cane - yet.

19 comments:

Jo said...

That is one cute baby!

Oh

My

Gosh!!!!!!!


I can hardly wait to meet her.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Well, first of all, Eden looks lovely, as always. Beautiful cake for a beautiful baby! Sorry about your bad back, Leslie. I am thinking of you. xx

Linda said...

Eden is one cute little baby. The cake looked really good. Get some rest!

Michele said...

Oh Eden is adorable! The cake looks yummy.
Leslie, I'm sorry about your back troubles... I can only imagine how you are feeling.
I'm sending a great big hug out to you, careful though, it's a tight one, and I'm hoping all goes well for you.
~Michele~

Nancy said...

Eden is just precious and what a great celebration to let her know how special she is (I love the cake)! I will say an extra prayer for you as you deal with your back problems. I have the back problems too but I got mine from my mom. No cane yet- that is a blessing indeed! hehe Keep us posted about your back.

Smalltown RN said...

Oh Leslie....she is just adorable....here I was sending you an email asking about her and your daughter and what should be on your blog but wonderful pictures of your family....they all look so well.

Now as for you my friend...omg!!! I am so sorry to hear that....oh the pain you must be in...you poor thing...ouch!!! Please keep us posted about what the plan is....oh I hope this doesn't interfere with us getting together this summer(see selfish me!)Take care and chat soon....cheers

Anne said...

What such a beautiful little girl! Love her name as well.

Back problems make you feel miserable:-( Hope you will be ok!

Jo's-D-Eyes said...

hello Lesley,
I just red why you did not post for a while, I can imagine how you feel/felt. now this baby is a cuty, that some good news!! Congrats...:)

We just returned to Holland and are back from our journey to Swaitserland so please come and see our/my adventures and impressions.

Bye greetings from JoAnn
(Now in Holland)

RiverPoet said...

I'll bet that those rosy cheeks get kissed and kissed some more. What a beautiful baby!

As for back problems, I feel for you. I really do. I'm a fellow spinal pain sufferer. So far I've had 3 surgeries on my neck, with the last being a fusion of C5-6-7. I have a disk herniation at L4-5, and some days I do have to use a cane. The doctors don't really know what to do. The clinical evidence isn't so significant, but the symptoms are. I have a Chiari I malformation, too, that contributes to major headaches and problems.

It stinks. I hope you don't have to have a surgery, but I know that sometimes we run out of options. Take care - D

Daryl said...

Oh she is just adorable .. and clearly adored.

Keep walking ... its not easy but it really makes a difference .. I too have a crappy back .. walking has been an important part of my therapy.

:-Daryl

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

What lovely party you had for Eden. Great idea.

I do hope your back doesn;t give you too many problems..thinking of you. x0x

sally in norfolk said...

you should be taking more care of yourself.... look after your back hope its not too painful. x x

Paulie said...

Such a sweet grqndchild! Prayers coming for your back problems. May you soon get it all "fixed" and be in high spirits again. I know what you mean about taking a break from blogging. I did that last week and it felt good to know I didn't "have to" write daily. I am back at it again tho.

Gin said...

What a beautiful little girl! How nice to have a coming out party for her!!

Sorry to hear about your back.

Ruth L.~ said...

Oh, you're so busy. So emotionally invested. No wonder you're tired. Give into it. Your body knows best. Eden is adorable. How many times have you heard that? And it's true!

Ruth W. said...

She is so adorable, I especially like those rosy cheeks. What a proud grandmother you must be.

Liz Hinds said...

Beautiful beautiful baby!

But poor you. A bad back just gets in the way of so much. I was never athletic in my youth so maybe it's as well!

Anonymous said...

Lovely to share more piccies of your family. Eden is a joy for you.

Really sorry the news from your CT scan is not so encouraging. On one hand, isn't it marvellous what can be done to help you? On the other hand, poor you for having to go through it. I'm thinking about you and hoping you'll know soon.

Country Girl said...

Utterly adorable, Leslie. Just made me smile looking at her.