About Me

My photo
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
I took very early retirement from teaching in '06 and did some traveling in Europe and the UK before settling down to do some private tutoring. As a voracious reader, I have many books waiting in line for me to read. Tell me I shouldn't read something, and I will. I'm a happy, optimistic person and I love to travel and through that believe that life can be a continuous learning experience. I'm looking forward to traveling more some day. I enjoy walking, cycling, water aerobics & and sports like tennis, volleyball, and fastpitch/baseball. I'm just getting into photography as a hobby and I'm enjoying learning all the bits and bobs of my digital camera. My family is everything to me and I'm delighted to be the mother of two girls and the Gramma of a boy and a girl. I may be a Gramma, but I'm at heart just a girl who wants to have fun.

Friday, May 23, 2008

The Wind That Shakes The Barley

Boredom took me to Blockbuster this afternoon and I found an interesting-looking film under "Staff Picks." I always look there and have found many great films that are generally unknown to most people. Today, I chose "The Wind That Shakes the Barley" - a film depicting the early days of the Irish Republic Army. Wikipedia has an excellent overview of the movie, and I highly recommend you read it before seeing the movie. I found the Irish accents a bit hard to understand, but the movie is definitely worth watching. You can also watch the trailer here.

Synopsis:

Ireland 1920: workers from field and country unite to form volunteer guerrilla armies to face the ruthless "Black and Tan" squads that are being shipped from Britain to block Ireland's bid for independence. Driven by a deep sense of duty and a love for his country, Damien abandons his burgeoning career as a doctor and joins his brother, Teddy, in a dangerous and violent fight for freedom. As the freedom fighters' bold tactics bring the British to breaking point, both sides finally agree to a treaty to end the bloodshed. But, despite the apparent victory, civil war erupts and families, who fought side by side, find themselves pitted against one another as sworn enemies, putting their loyalties to the ultimate test.

As I was watching "The Wind That Shakes the Barley", I began to be ashamed of my British heritage. The English here aren't just repressive occupiers — they are bullies, humiliating Irish men and women to the point of unforgiveable cruelty.

I'd be interested in knowing if anyone else has seen this movie and their feelings about it. I found it all the more horrendous knowing that this actually happened and why the Irish are so bitter towards the British even to this day.

For more critics' reviews go here and scroll down to Critical Consensus/Critics Reviews. They're definitely worth a read.

4 comments:

Jo said...

Leslie, it's an interesting period in history, isn't it? I have a lot of Irish heritage and I married into an Irish family who were IRA supporters. I used to hear a lot of stories, especially from one of the Irish priests, Father Boyle.

The British pretty much bullied their way around the world, South Africa, India, etc., etc. But that was a different time, and there were credits as well as debits on that balance sheet.

I'll have to check this movie out.

Daryl said...

Interesting .. and if you ever have accent/dialogue problems, turn on the closed captioning option on your TV or DVD player

:-Daryl

Leslie: said...

yes, that's right Daryl, about the closed captioning but my sister bought me a new universal remote that doesn't have a button for that. I think I'm going to have to find another remote because I love watching British mysteries and sometimes I feel like I've missed something when they're speaking.

VP said...

I must see this film - thanks for reminding me :) I enjoyed your R story too.

Have a great weekend!