About Me

My photo
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
I took very early retirement from teaching in '06 and did some traveling in Europe and the UK before settling down to do some private tutoring. As a voracious reader, I have many books waiting in line for me to read. Tell me I shouldn't read something, and I will. I'm a happy, optimistic person and I love to travel and through that believe that life can be a continuous learning experience. I'm looking forward to traveling more some day. I enjoy walking, cycling, water aerobics & and sports like tennis, volleyball, and fastpitch/baseball. I'm just getting into photography as a hobby and I'm enjoying learning all the bits and bobs of my digital camera. My family is everything to me and I'm delighted to be the mother of two girls and the Gramma of a boy and a girl. I may be a Gramma, but I'm at heart just a girl who wants to have fun.

Thursday, May 29, 2008

Blues Turn Purple

Note: I just checked and if you click on the photos they'll open up. Yay!

I woke up this morning with a slight case of the blues. So much so that I just lay in bed watching TV until nature forced me up. I was hurting all over from yesterday's massage therapy and wanted to stay under the covers all toasty warm and cosy. Peeking through the blinds I could see that the day appeared to be as I was - totally grey.

I finally stumbled downstairs and picked up the newspaper at the front door and headed into the kitchen for some coffee. Not even having the energy to make fresh, I simply poured what was left from yesterday and popped it into the microwave to reheat. Finally, I walked into the family room to open the blinds and what should I see? My irises are blooming! I rushed upstairs to get my camera to record the event and after taking its photo, wandered around the garden to see what else was new. Well, three of the poppy buds are fully open now, so I took a photo of them. Also, more lilies have appeared and the rhododendrun by the fence is in full bloom. All of these wonderful colours have truly perked me up and the sun has finally managed to appear.

Earlier this morning, I was almost devastated by depression and started thinking about some of my favourite tear-jerker movies. I felt like I need a good cry to wash away all those toxins that got stirred up with the massage therapy. I got to thinking about some of the times in my life when those tears actually made me feel better about myself and my life. Some of those soul-cleansing movies were:

Shadowlands - starring Debra Winger and Anthony Hopkins, the story of C.S. Lewis' love for an American woman, Joy Gresham, whom he marries. Of course the story ends tragically and I remember sobbing out loud in the theater and having to rush to the ladies' room afterwards to compose myself. This was the first movie I'd seen since my husband had died, and my friends had not known what the movie was about when they dragged me out, hoping to cheer me up.

The Bridges of Madison County - starring Meryl Streep and Clint Eastwood. Would you have opened that door and jumped out of the truck? I sobbed at the end of that movie, knowing that I would have done as she did, sacrificing the love of my life for my children and husband who had done nothing but love me for who I was.

Sophie's Choice - another Meryl Streep movie. I've always been interested in WWII and the Holocaust, wondering how people could have possibly lived through such terror and torture. The choice Sophie was forced to make by a Nazi officer was the most horrendous thing anyone could ever do to a woman, and she sacrificed one child for the other - something she had to live with for the rest of her life. This great screen play shows what hatred and ignorance do to the innocent.

Steel Magnolias - starring Sally Field, Julia Roberts, Dolly Parton, Shirley MacLaine, Daryl Hannah, Olympia Dukakis. How many of you knew that this movie was based on a tragic, real-life event? And who could ever forget the scene in the cemetery when M'Lynn goes crazy with grief over the death of her daughter?

The Way We Were - starring Barbra Streisand and Robert Redford. I saw this one all by myself one day after having an argument with my new husband. To this day I wonder if it was an omen of what was to come - real passionate love that would never last to the end of our days together.

My list also included Beaches, Terms of Endearment, Brian's Song, Imitation of Life, Schindler's List, Fried Green Tomatoes, Saving Private Ryan, The Notebook, Life is Beautiful, and Sybil.

What movies have made you cry? What cleanses your soul when you have the blues? What turns your blues into other colours of the rainbow?

19 comments:

RiverPoet said...

Were we perhaps separated at birth?? You just named my favorite tear-jerker movies, and you put my all-time favorite at the top. What an amazing movie that most people have never even heard of! I have a copy of that one right next to Howard's End, Sense and Sensibility (with Emma, of course), Terms of Endearment, and Hilary and Jackie. If you haven't seen that one, you would like it. It is always guaranteed to make me sob. It is about Jacqueline du Pre, the famous cellist from the 60s/70s. Between the haunting music and the tragic story, it can wring you out like morning laundry.

It's smart that you tied the blues to the massage. I find that my mood can change or I can have visualizations during physical therapy. I'm just tuned in that way, I guess. I'm glad those beautiful flowers cheered your spirit.

Take care - Peace - D

jmb said...

The Way we were is a real tear jerker for me. It all should have worked out for them but somehow didn't.
Hope you are feeling better soon Leslie.

Carver said...

Beautiful photographs and I could relate. Sometimes catching site of flowers blooming outside my window is the only thing that makes me force myself up and out. That's part of what I like about photography, it can give me the impetus to go outside because I spot something I want to take a picture of. I had massage therapy (with estems) and I found myself feeling worse at times, afterwards, so I could relate to that too. The Bridges of Madison County was a tear jerker for me both times I watched it. So were many of the others on your list too. I'm sending out good thoughts for you.

Leslie: said...

Hi Momma - yes, I've seen Hilary and Jackie - I'd forgotten about that one! And Howard's End, another great one.

Yes, jmb - it should have worked out for them...they still loved each other - you could see that at the end.

Hi carver - I knew it was the massage therapy as soon as I woke up - I usually do have a bad day the day after, but not usually this bad. Oh well, tomorrow is another day.

Jo said...

"The Bridges of Madison County", definitely. "The Notebook" does it for me every time or "A Walk To Remember". How about "Magnificent Obsession" from about a million years ago with Jane Wyman and Rock Hudson. "The Painted Veil" - I sob every time I see that movie. Or how about the ending of "Roman Holiday" with Gregory Peck walking away...

Oh, gosh, pass the Kleenex...

Leslie: said...

You're right, Josie. There are SO many...here...

Smalltown RN said...

OH I have to steer away from sad movies when I am feeling blue...that's the last thing I need...I usually do what you do...curl up with my blanket and hibernate for awhile....nice cup of tea..and eventually the sun shines through and warms me up....and hence my spirits....I love your flowers...Irises that was my sisters favourite flower...now whenever I see them I always think of her.....

nancygrayce said...

That is so crazy! I had a massage yesterday and I felt horrible all day today. She really worked me over, my neck has been bad lately and she has to really get in there deep! I have those blue days when I really do just stay in bed until someone needs me and I have to get up and go on with life. I'll be praying for some smiles for you! I cried so hard during Steel Magnolias that you would have thought she was my daughter. But there is something so cleansing about crying. Really a good cry. The only downside is I get so stopped up then I can't breathe! Oh, woe!

Leslie: said...

Hi Nancy, yes a good cry does seem to cleanse. I remember seeing Beaches and I cried so hard I ended up with a nosebleed!

geewits said...

I suppose you know that emotional tears cleanse the body? There was a study years ago where they collected tears from emotional crying and pain crying and the emotional tears were full of toxins. Maybe that's why people like to watch sad movies or hear sad songs when they feel bad. I tear up at almost everything (even my daily soap) so I guess I shed toxins a lot, but when I feel the need, I play "Unforgettable" by Natalie Cole with her Dad and really go to town. And of course there's always the scene in Meet Me in St. Louis when Grandpa shows up to take Esther to the dance. I watch this movie A LOT and that one little scene always makes me cry.

Casdok said...

I need a good cry but the tears wont come, so thank you for the idea of watching a film!

Paulie said...

My favorite movie of all time is Mr Holland's Opus. October Sky comes in second.

I thought I loved the tulips season but the Iris have been terrific for us this year too. Glad you are enjoying the wonder of yours and it made you perk up!

Michele said...

Oh Leslie, I hope you are feeling better today.... (Hugs)
When I'm feeling that way, I usually listen to music. That helps me to have a really good cry and then it actually cheers me up.
Hope your weekend goes well. Take it easy, my friend.
~Michele~

Daryl said...

An Affair to Remember - the original w/Cary Grant

Gone With The Wind

:-Daryl

sally in norfolk said...

ssoo many films have made me cry... but my favourites ( if you can call them that ) are city of angels... when watching it with a friend she asked me why i was crying i replied because i know whats going to happen....its a fantastic film and i love it !!
the other i remember is called the note book i sobed and sobed... a good cry is often good for you like a real good chat....
Iam on skype and google chat if you ever want to chat :-) :-)

Liz Hinds said...

I'm glad those beautiful flowres lifted your spirits!

I'm sorry to say I had to laugh when I read that your friends had taken you to Shadowlands to cheer you up! I'm chuckling now: I'm sorry that's terrible ...

I'm not a big weepy person and I can't think of a single film - oh, wait, the bit in the Lion King when Simba's father dies.

meggie said...

Your movie cries are my movie cries! Terms of Endearment alwasy maked me cry, the scene in the hospital, when Shirley is screaming for pain relief for her dauther!
I liked the book The Bridges Of Madison County better than the movie, but both can make me cry.
I know, I am a sentimental sad-arse!!

meggie said...

And, I should always proof read before posting!!!
Sorry!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Sorry you are feeling low, Leslie but can see how the flowers would have brightened your day. I need a weepie film to get it out of my system sometimes, too. "Madison County" and "An Affair to Remember." do it every time. Love from Sicily xx